Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pipe Lines and Politics

Pipe Lines and Politics

Old Apr 19th 2018, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pipe Lines and Politics

Thoughts on the recent spat between AB and BC on pipeline expansion, provincial/federal jurisdiction and the politics?

For my part I have a few talking points:

1) the previous BC government already approved the project
2) as a federated country the provinces have a responsibility work with each other with provide access to markets for the resources
3) trans mountain have jumped through every regulating hurdle, even those invented or strengthen specifically for this project
4) what message does it send to resource investors in Canada (especially BC) that even if they pass every regulating and permitting obstacle that the project may still never be built
5) IMO federal government has shown a lack of leadership on this
6) fate for Horgan and Weaver at the end of this

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Apr 19th 2018 at 4:50 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pipe Lines and Politics

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Thoughts on the recent spat between AB and BC on pipeline expansion, provincial/federal jurisdiction and the politics?

2) as a federated country the provinces have a responsibility work with each other with provide access to markets for the resources
3) trans mountain have jumped through every regulating hurdle, even those invented or strengthen specifically for this project
4) what message does it send to resource investors in Canada (especially BC) that even if they pass every regulating and permitting obstacle that the project may still never be built
It's Canadian politics - don't expect anything to get done. One assumes that the Feds would love to get their hands upon the extra royalties so that they can spend even more money, but I am not confident that anything will happen.

Once again, I find the lack of objective reporting somewhat strange. Why do they not mention the fact that lots of First Nations are behind it and have signed agreements with Kinder Morgan? Why do they not mention the amount of money that flows to the government of BC from the sale of coal that is exported? BC's coal exports

Weaver will remain in place as what is arguing for is exactly what his constituents want. I have no idea about Horgan but it is clear to all that his constitutional argument is b/s.

This may be worth a few seconds of reading: Little chance of big things-happening in Canada
Old Apr 19th 2018, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

According to an article I read a few days ago, they've cut investment plans over the next few years by 100 to 150 billion dollars (don't remember whether that was just resource investors or big investors in general). And apparently many of them are spending that money in America instead.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
According to an article I read a few days ago, they've cut investment plans over the next few years by 100 to 150 billion dollars (don't remember whether that was just resource investors or big investors in general). And apparently many of them are spending that money in America instead.
There is also evidence that the has been investing in BC environmental protest groups to undermine Canadian oil exports and bolster their own energy industry.

https://www.bnn.ca/video/~1367354

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Apr 19th 2018 at 7:10 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

May also be complete rumour but I did hear US oil and gas companies were investing in the BC environmental protest groups to undermine Canadian oil exports and bolster their own profits.
No, I've read something similar. I believe someone researched who was funding these protests and then who was funding the groups who were funding these protests. And turned up an awful lot of foreign money.

Don't remember exactly whose it was, though.

But, either way, it should be a huge scandal that foreigners are funding attacks on Canadian industry.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MarkG
No, I've read something similar. I believe someone researched who was funding these protests and then who was funding the groups who were funding these protests. And turned up an awful lot of foreign money.

Don't remember exactly whose it was, though.

But, either way, it should be a huge scandal that foreigners are funding attacks on Canadian industry.
I found the video interview and posted it above
Old May 30th 2018, 3:29 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Well you will be glad to hear that the execution of Trans Mountain project is now more certain than ever
Old May 30th 2018, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I am no expert on Canadian politics or the oil and gas industry but I couldnt imagine this pipeline not being built and I think alot of people here in Alberta are happy it is going ahead.If it didnt get built China would just buy their oil elsewhere and Canada would lose out big time.Im sure I read that Horgan approved an aviation fuel pipeline from Seattle to Van ,so what was the problem with this pipeline and as for some of the First Nations protesting against it where do they think their funding comes from or the gas they put in their vehicles? I understand their concerns but if the crude oil was transported by rail or truck there would still be a risk of leak.
Old May 30th 2018, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Edo
Well you will be glad to hear that the execution of Trans Mountain project is now more certain than ever
we will see. In the end will depend if the liberals want/need the 45% of BC voters (mostly in metro Vancouver) who are against the pipeline and most likely voted liberal at the last federal election versus, I suspect, the relatively low number of Albertans and interior BC residents who would vote liberal.

What will be interesting to watch is how this effects investment in natural resources projects in Canada.
Old May 30th 2018, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I am no expert on Canadian politics or the oil and gas industry but I couldnt imagine this pipeline not being built and I think alot of people here in Alberta are happy it is going ahead.If it didnt get built China would just buy their oil elsewhere and Canada would lose out big time.Im sure I read that Horgan approved an aviation fuel pipeline from Seattle to Van ,so what was the problem with this pipeline and as for some of the First Nations protesting against it where do they think their funding comes from or the gas they put in their vehicles? I understand their concerns but if the crude oil was transported by rail or truck there would still be a risk of leak.
Always amazes me that the media here never makes comparisons between two clearly relevant stories. I.e. reporting how much people are against the pipeline and how tragic Lac-Mégantic was, but never making the obvious connection.
Old May 30th 2018, 4:22 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Every parent with two children will understand the politics behind this farce.
Little Rachel wants to play with her brother. Little Johnny says 'No, I want to play with my soldiers'.
Little Rachel starts to cry and grabs the soldiers. Little Johnny sees it coming too late and hits little Rachel.
Little Rachel hits little Johnny.
Both children start fighting.
Father Justin is bemused. He'd like to separate the two children but is afraid he'll be accused of child abuse.
He likes Rachel and would like to see his two children playing together, on the other hand he respects Johnny's wish to be alone.
What to do?
He steps back for few moments hoping that the two break it off but the fight escalates as Rachel takes the soldiers and threates to throw them down the well.
Father Justin would like to throw both children down the well but he's canadian, and such decisive action has been bred out of his DNA.
What to do?
He rushes indoor and reappears with a large tub of ice cream.
Both children immediately stop fighting and dig in.
Father Justin breathes deeply, the immediate squabble has been deferred, hopefully long enough for the kids to calm down.
BUT,, As every parent with two kids will understand, Rachel still has a soldier and Johnny now realises that playing alone annoys his sister so Justin had better lay in a huge supply of ice cream.. or else..

Last edited by dave_j; May 30th 2018 at 4:25 pm.
Old May 30th 2018, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

In the end will depend if the liberals want/need the 45% of BC voters (mostly in metro Vancouver) who are against the pipeline and most likely voted liberal at the last federal election versus, I suspect, the relatively low number of Albertans and interior BC residents who would vote liberal.
And whether they want Alberta to remain part of Canada. But, you're right, short-term votes will matter more to them than long-term stability.
Old May 30th 2018, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

From open line shows that were on the radio almost all day yesterday, I think a whole lot more Canadians are upset at this buy out than just those who are opposed to the pipeline and/or worried about the environmental aspects of a spill in Vancouver harbour or among the Gulf Islands.

and .............. those who were upset about the buyout also included a lot of people form Alberta!

I think there might well be an NDP government in Ottawa if Jagmeet Singh cane keep his nose clean and get himself elected.

There was a LOT of anger expressed against Trudeau, and the amount that has been committed plus what it might cost the government if they have to build the pipeline.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming

There are several big problems.
The KM pipeline is not transporting oil, it's diluted bitumen (dilbit). The diluents are highly toxic and very volatile.
They are trying to put this new pipeline next to schools and over aquifers that supply cities.

Would Alberta be quite so happy to build if they took all the risks, but got very little remuneration?

And China won't be buying oil for long - they will be moving to renewables far faster than North America.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Many BC'ers are concerned because the bitumen is very different from refined fuel, crude oil or any other fossil fuel transported in ships, and so far, there appears to be no scientifically proven method of ensuring that even a small spill can be cleaned up.

Even the Exxon Valdez crude oil spill up in Alaska in 1989 is not yet cleaned.

Yet the plan is for many more tankers carrying the bitumen to pass through Burrard Inlet and Vancouver harbour into English Bay and then make its way through the Salish Sea and the Gulf Islands and round Vancouver Island out to sea. Currently about 5 tankers a month leave the terminal full of oil, the new pipeline will increase that number to about 33/34 ................ or approximately 400 per year vs the 60 now. Each of the current tankers carries about 750,000 barrels of bitumen, about 3 times what spilled out of the Valdez in 1989.

No larger oil tankers are allowed in the Port of Vancouver

Both the BC coast and that of Washington State could be really harmed if there was a spill ....... not to mention the wildlife such as salmon, whales, dolphins, crabs, etc etc.

This really is a major concern ..

Hawkmoon mentioned the pipeline going over aquifers ................ a First Nations reserve in northern BC gets its water from an aquifer which is in the direct path of the planned construction. Suggestions as to how the line of construction could be changed to avoid the aquifer, plus any land that could feed into it, have met deaf ears. They are only one of the First Nations opposing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.