Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The photo that apparently everyone is talking about: inter-racial couples

The photo that apparently everyone is talking about: inter-racial couples

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The photo that apparently everyone is talking about: inter-racial couples

Originally Posted by Shard
Is that Pemberton, BC ? Where was the guy from?

Sorry no, Pemberton is just a small area of Wigan in the UK.

Well he then said he was from Portugal, so I made comment about how I'd heard Lisbon is really nice and I'd like to go at some point. He then got even more offended and animated and we decided our friendly chat to a stranger wasn't worth the effort and we moved table.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:01 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The photo that apparently everyone is talking about: inter-racial couples

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Sorry no, Pemberton is just a small area of Wigan in the UK.

Well he then said he was from Portugal, so I made comment about how I'd heard Lisbon is really nice and I'd like to go at some point. He then got even more offended and animated and we decided our friendly chat to a stranger wasn't worth the effort and we moved table.
Ah ok. Not really familiar with the Wigan area. Lisbon is indeed nice, kind of old fashioned and understated.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Ah ok. Not really familiar with the Wigan area. Lisbon is indeed nice, kind of old fashioned and understated.

One day I'll go, I have less than 10 European countries left to visit so I may as well try and do them all at some point!
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well he then said he was from Portugal, so I made comment about how I'd heard Lisbon is really nice and I'd like to go at some point. He then got even more offended and animated....
Probably a Porto supporter.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Probably a Porto supporter.

I'm afraid I don't understand football jokes
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:36 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the subject - i’m in a mixed marriage, which is a great thing - as we share our cultures, and ive always thought all variations of mixed kids are the most beautiful, but as to how interesting is the fact/photo, it really depends on where you are / whats normal for you and your community [the earlier reference to the uk having backward uk counties for example - there was a tv series called ‘normal for norfolk’ which is great fun.]

Ive also seen it in reverse to the usual issue - where in america, some of the black community pour scorn on mixed couples [would you believe 20 years ago we were advised not to hold hands in a mall in los angeles as the local ‘african american’ population didnt like it?] Same thing from some people in the caribbean now, where the colour and indeed shade of your skin is still important to some [and these sensitive people are themselves of all shades.]
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Back to the subject - i’m in a mixed marriage, which is a great thing - as we share our cultures, and ive always thought all variations of mixed kids are the most beautiful, but as to how interesting is the fact/photo, it really depends on where you are / whats normal for you and your community [the earlier reference to the uk having backward uk counties for example - there was a tv series called ‘normal for norfolk’ which is great fun.]

Ive also seen it in reverse to the usual issue - where in america, some of the black community pour scorn on mixed couples [would you believe 20 years ago we were advised not to hold hands in a mall in los angeles as the local ‘african american’ population didnt like it?] Same thing from some people in the caribbean now, where the colour and indeed shade of your skin is still important to some [and these sensitive people are themselves of all shades.]

I've always thought it must be pretty interesting being in a relationship with someone from a different culture. The points of reference and learning from how other things are done must be really interesting.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:36 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

....different culture. The points of reference and learning from how other things are done must be really interesting.
Except when the other person is Canadian.

"You don't still do it that way do you?"
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Except when the other person is Canadian.

"You don't still do it that way do you?"
I enjoyed my seven years with a cradle and I didn't think she was particularly backward. I'd hesitate to call that a different culture though, "Cradle Canadian" is more a subset of our culture than a distinct one. It was, and I say this from an informed perspective, like living with someone from Ireland; some things are different but most cultural references are the same. I also lived for seven years with an American, her culture was more different than the Canadian's but still, it's not another world, we'd both heard of the Beatles.

Living with someone who speaks a different language and grew up in the country of that language is a whole other kettle of poisson (aptly, autocorrect wants to make that "passion"). I would guess that this is a bigger deal than living with someone who went to the same high school but is a different colour. Two people from London, or Toronto, who have families of different colours and cultures have a common ground in a way that, say, a cockney and someone who grew up speaking Tamil in Ceylon do not, even if the cockney and the Sri Lankan are formatted similarly. The city people, typically second generation immigrants not only have their home town in common but also the fact that everyone around them is from somewhere else, diversity is routine.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dbd33
I enjoyed my seven years with a cradle and I didn't think she was particularly backward.....
The "You don't still do it that way do you?" was more about the "Canada way" rather than the individual's way
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

Good point. It happens in many cultures, Chinese, Indian Spanish. I suppose skin colour makes signals the (potential) cultural differences quite loudly, and that's what some object to (culture, not colour).
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:43 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought it must be pretty interesting being in a relationship with someone from a different culture. The points of reference and learning from how other things are done must be really interesting.
Nah not really. I did learn to make an everyday curry and chapattis and that Indians prefer to have pale skin to darker. I also learned that British people spit on coloured people a lot, they also spit in your food when you're in an Indian restaurant and tell the waiters that the wogs will be paying with their giro cheque not realising the irony or maybe just the stupidity of stating that. This was back in the 70s so I hope things have changed.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 1:03 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Nah not really. I did learn to make an everyday curry and chapattis and that Indians prefer to have pale skin to darker. I also learned that British people spit on coloured people a lot, they also spit in your food when you're in an Indian restaurant and tell the waiters that the wogs will be paying with their giro cheque not realising the irony or maybe just the stupidity of stating that. This was back in the 70s so I hope things have changed.
Then you also know most indians in the uk now are more english than most english people, and hate eastern european immigrants to england and the EU just as much. I actually like the way they often assimilate into local cultures easily, its the same here in the caribbean, only issue seems to be - they are very too nice, and good At their jobs, sometimes being accused of throwing ‘locals’ out of jobs etc.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The 1970's sounds wonderful.

Perhaps my curry is still spat in, but it usually tastes great so I'll be sure to send my compliments to the Chef and Chief Spitter rather than just the Chef next time
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:06 am
Yo

Depressing, but probably true, I suppose. We take for granted the amount of common racism we have overcome in the past 40-50 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.