Phones Again

Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phones Again

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I had one of the originals. After spiking itr at the floor in disgust after getting some bad news, I had to pay to get it fixed (it was a work phone) less than $5.

The KeyOne will be very much a smartphone, if less of a multi media device.
I had an original too. Was well impressed with that back lit yellow screen, it seemed so advanced in those days (2000-01 I guess).
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone on Android figured out how to stop banner notifications coming down from the top of the screen. I know that they can be turned off completely, but I'd rather not have the banner or designate it to appear in the middle. These are on chat app messages, and it drives me crazy as the top of the screen if often used for data input on other apps. Not sure if it is an Android thing or a peculiarity of my Moto phone?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Anyone on Android figured out how to stop banner notifications coming down from the top of the screen. I know that they can be turned off completely, but I'd rather not have the banner or designate it to appear in the middle. These are on chat app messages, and it drives me crazy as the top of the screen if often used for data input on other apps. Not sure if it is an Android thing or a peculiarity of my Moto phone?
My notifications appear in the centre of the screen. I have no idea how I achieved this (obviously, I have not changed anything from "default")
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

You can go into settings--->notifications and change it on an app-by-app basis. No option to have it display in the centre though, just banners / "peeking" on or off. This is on my Nexus 6P with android 7.1.1.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Moto but no banners
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:07 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

What phone do you have? Each manufacturer has their own skin atop Android so the setting is in a slightly different place depending on the manufacturer. Generally it's where Gozit said but the actual path depends on your specific phone.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:12 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
What phone do you have? Each manufacturer has their own skin atop Android so the setting is in a slightly different place depending on the manufacturer. Generally it's where Gozit said but the actual path depends on your specific phone.
Thanks folks.

It's a Moto G4. As I mentioned, I can turn them off completely, but if they are on they appear at the top of the screen. And when the notification comes, it sticks for a couple of seconds, so if there is several notifications (several chat messages) in succession, I have to hang tough until they all minimise. Does it behave like that on Samsung etc?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks.

It's a Moto G4. As I mentioned, I can turn them off completely, but if they are on they appear at the top of the screen. And when the notification comes, it sticks for a couple of seconds, so if there is several notifications (several chat messages) in succession, I have to hang tough until they all minimise. Does it behave like that on Samsung etc?
So on my LG G5, I have a setting for 'silent notifications' - I use it for my email. So the icon comes up on the bar at the top, but you don't get the banner coming down ('peek').

If you go to Settings > Notifications > Apps and then select your chat app, do you have anything similar to that there?

Both my parents have G4s, so I will have a look on one of their phones, I'll be seeing one of them later. (I know that sounds odd, I'm sick and one of them is taking baby schnooks to her music tonight but they are working out their schedules to see who can do it!)
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:28 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
So on my LG G5, I have a setting for 'silent notifications' - I use it for my email. So the icon comes up on the bar at the top, but you don't get the banner coming down ('peek').

If you go to Settings > Notifications > Apps and then select your chat app, do you have anything similar to that there?

Both my parents have G4s, so I will have a look on one of their phones, I'll be seeing one of them later. (I know that sounds odd, I'm sick and one of them is taking baby schnooks to her music tonight but they are working out their schedules to see who can do it!)
I was wondering about Baby Schnooks when I saw your name the other day.

Thanks. Do have a look if you have the chance. I do have the Notification > Apps settings, but the options seem to be 'block all' or 'silent'. The app I use is Line, which is a Japanese equivalent of What's App.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Thanks. Do have a look if you have the chance. I do have the Notification > Apps settings, but the options seem to be 'block all' or 'silent'. The app I use is Line, which is a Japanese equivalent of What's App.
What happens when you select Silent?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 3:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking at "Line" and a helpful page came up.. it's about silencing the audio notification but looking at the screenshots there is an option to disable 'preview' and 'show pop up on screen' (in notifications for the app).

I think that could be the answer.

Open LINE > Go to “More” > Go to “Settings” > Go to Notifications

How to silence notifications on LINE app – LINE LOVERS

There's also a page about notifications on the Line website you might find of use, it has how to switch peeking off etc. https://help.line.me/line/?contentId=20000284
Attached Thumbnails Phones Again-line.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 20th 2017 at 3:47 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 4:18 pm
Yo

Thanks Ladies. I will look into those suggestions. I assumed silent referred to sound, but perhaps it has secondary meaning in the smartphone app world. Will check it out.

(2 minutes later...)

Woohoo! Sorted!! It seems I can't opt to avoid the top banner message, but I can left swipe to clear it instantly! That works. The banner actually stays up for 5 seconds (counted) which is why it drove me crazy. I can even now turn peeking on again.

Last edited by Shard; Apr 20th 2017 at 4:27 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 4:33 pm
Concierge

Thanks Ladies. I will look into those suggestions. I assumed silent referred to sound, but perhaps it has secondary meaning in the smartphone app world. Will check it out.

(2 minutes later...)

Woohoo! Sorted!! It seems I can't opt to avoid the top banner message, but I can left swipe to clear it instantly! That works. The banner actually stays up for 5 seconds (counted) which is why it drove me crazy. I can even now turn peeking on again.

I didn't even think of that.

Yeah, if you swipe to the side (left or right) it dismisses the notification. If you swipe up it just removes the banner peek, but leaves the icon in the notification bar.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

On my Moto X2 I have the choice of "Allow peeking" which. "let the app emphasise certain notifications by sliding them briefly into view on the current screen"
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 5:53 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got a new phone. Went with an iPhone, not sure why but its a nice bit of kit and apparently water resistant. Now next week we're fishing in 1400ft of water so if it goes down I'm going down after it. I got a snorkel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.