Phones Again

Old Dec 8th 2016, 11:34 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phones Again

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not sentimentality, I've had it since it was new and exciting and just hate the palaver of bringing lists and whatnot forward. I'm with Bell because, twenty years ago they were the only ones to support international calls; the carrier doesn't matter now but I can't change the number.
Have you bought one yet?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 12:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Have you bought one yet?
I've done nothing. WhatsApp says it'll work until the end of December and I'm a just-in-time kind of person when it comes to spending on appliances.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:09 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I've done nothing. WhatsApp says it'll work until the end of December and I'm a just-in-time kind of person when it comes to spending on appliances.
You may find some good Boxing Day or even lead up to Christmas deals anyway. Koodo did some pretty solid Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals on their phones and phone plans. I'd suggest doing a bit of research into what phone you might want and then just keeping an eye on the various retailers to see who has a sale or a good deal going.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
You may find some good Boxing Day or even lead up to Christmas deals anyway. Koodo did some pretty solid Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals on their phones and phone plans. I'd suggest doing a bit of research into what phone you might want and then just keeping an eye on the various retailers to see who has a sale or a good deal going.
I used Koodo for a couple of years now and found them to be pretty good
and the plan I have with them just would'nt be offered to me by any of the other cell providers i'm fairly certain
Old Dec 10th 2016, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I want a phone with a lockable display.
I believe US law requires that the phone will still dial 911 while locked. That's why I never put a passcode on my old Samsung Android phone: I thought it was better to have someone nick it and steal the $20 in my Google account than keep calling the police from my pocket.

Replaced it a while back with an iPhone SE, which is miles better. And the phone company gave me a free case that covers the screen, so no butt-dialling.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 5:01 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for LG...Koodo has good deals on the G4 and G5 and it appears their plans have come down in price G5 has nougat out of the box I think and G4 will be getting the update in the new year.

I've been with Koodo for four years and have never had a rate increase (other than paying off a tab).

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Dec 11th 2016 at 5:06 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 12:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
Another vote for LG...Koodo has good deals on the G4 and G5 and it appears their plans have come down in price G5 has nougat out of the box I think and G4 will be getting the update in the new year.

I've been with Koodo for four years and have never had a rate increase (other than paying off a tab).
My son is supposed to be buying me a G4 for Christmas - so excited! Compared to my Nokia C3 it's going to be quite the leap forward!

(posed by a model)

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 12th 2016 at 12:55 am.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:23 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie - please rethink the G4. It's got some serious issues including a boot loop glitch. You can get the G5 for nearly the same price and it's a miles better phone.(I bought the G5 and did an insane amount of research before buying it.)

Re: nougat, the G5 definitely does not come with nougat out of the box, that's the v120. Koodo/telus has not released nougat for the g5 yet but hopefully soon as most U.S.carriers have it.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Siouxie - please rethink the G4. It's got some serious issues including a boot loop glitch. You can get the G5 for nearly the same price and it's a miles better phone.(I bought the G5 and did an insane amount of research before buying it.)

Re: nougat, the G5 definitely does not come with nougat out of the box, that's the v120. Koodo/telus has not released nougat for the g5 yet but hopefully soon as most U.S.carriers have it.
Oh dear..

He's buying an unlocked version, not one on contract, so the price difference is about $300... which is too much.

I don't have a say in this really, I get what I'm given (which may not be the G4, lol)!

Thanks for the heads up though - something to watch out for, most definitely!

Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Our phone when locked requires one to tap emergency on the screen then you have to dial 911.

Seems difficult to do accidental.

Originally Posted by MarkG
I believe US law requires that the phone will still dial 911 while locked. That's why I never put a passcode on my old Samsung Android phone: I thought it was better to have someone nick it and steal the $20 in my Google account than keep calling the police from my pocket.

Replaced it a while back with an iPhone SE, which is miles better. And the phone company gave me a free case that covers the screen, so no butt-dialling.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 9:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I have just come back from my local Costco and they had at least 5 different models for sale, all unlocked, and all were under $150

I think they were Samsung & Acer.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Blackberry phone on the Bell network. In the coming weeks it'll no longer be supported by, well, by anyone really.

I use:

Often

- email feeds from various sources
- international phone calls (the one person I speak to by phone is in the UK)
- WhatsApp
- the alarm clock
- the camera

Sometimes

- the navigation thingy
- the weather forecast
- the browser

The feature I like least about the Blackberry is that, when it's not in use, it slides around in my pocket and random features are invoked or numbers dialed. That's especially a pita when it phones Tokyo or 911. I want a phone with a lockable display.

Phones are not fun so I don't want to spend much on a new one.

Suggestions?

What phone did you eventually get? I'm in the market as mine is sitting at about 450ft at the bottom of Howe Sound.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm now thinking of buying the Asus Zenfone 3 dual sim from Staples or best buy as the spec is good and apparently less bloatware than previous versions. Price is good.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Oink
What phone did you eventually get? I'm in the market as mine is sitting at about 450ft at the bottom of Howe Sound.
Oh no! Wooops....

I got an LG G4 for Christmas, love it.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 10:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I took the "free" one from Bell, Sony Xperia. Seems to work well enough, good camera.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.