Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian deaths Toronto

Pedestrian deaths Toronto

Old Sep 29th 2017, 12:25 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pedestrian deaths Toronto

4 killed in 24 hours, this is crazy, ISIS are not even responsible for these it's just People running across roads without a thought for their own safety!! The families of all involved are now suffering the consequences of this stupidity

Four pedestrians killed in just over 24 hours on Toronto streets | Durham Radio News

I saw the video of the mother and sibling trying to cross Warden last night on the News, how they thought they would get across what is a 4 lane highway was beyond me, I couldn't stop thinking about how awefull that whole incident must have been for all who survived it. Then I read more people getting killed on the roads! All in the same area.....It's just nuts !
Old Sep 29th 2017, 12:48 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pedestrian deaths Toronto

We have similiar issues in Halifax (though at significantly less volume of course) and I really think that the pedestrian has the right of way rule is flawed greatly here. There is no regard at all by pedestrians for that old chestnut "stopping distance", let alone distracted drivers etc.
As a driver I hate that people just walk out, I am looking for other cars etc etc and other cars are not allowed by law to just pull out in front of you (although of course some do) but pedestrians just bounce out right there, and they will always lose.

They say the cemetary is full if people whose right of way it was.
Personally - stop, look, listen and wait school of thought works just fine.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 12:57 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Your right 100%

I see so many pedestrians using the right of way rule all the time, I just don't get it ?

I walk and run every day, up to 4 or 6 km, I cross a fair few roads at the intersections and never ever do I believe I have the right of way, I always stop and look, I wait if a car looks like it may turn and make eye contact with the driver. I believe this is better than proving my dead right of way.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps pedestrians believe everything they read about Toronto traffic not moving very fast
Old Sep 29th 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Perhaps pedestrians believe everything they read about Toronto traffic not moving very fast
Maybe pedestrians need to go on a sidewalk safety course, or even bring back pedestrian safety TV adverts
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Pedestrians only have right of way when crossing legally.

FindLaw Canada | Jaywalking — FAQ

A driver can get a ticket for stopping an allowing a pedestrian to Jaywalk. However if the pedestrian walks in front of you, the driver is supposed to yield.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:07 pm

The police are clamping down on motorists (easy target) and totally ignoring pedestrian ignorance
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:15 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Pedestrians are like fricken lemmings in Toronto , I see them casually stepping out of street cars all the time.

However I also have to regularly step into traffic to cross the road thanks to the fantastic drivers who continue to block pedestrian crossings by failing to realise that the traffic in front aint going anywhere.

This happens everytime there is something on at the rogers centre. I wouldn't mind but the paid duty police just stand there and let it happen
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:32 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

When I went to school in the UK we were taught 'road drill' and the aim of this tuition was simply to make us road aware and keep us alive. AND I still stop at the kerb and look both ways.. it's seared into the grey matter.

Where is the equivalent in Canada? Is it left out of the curriculum in case they think that it would make them liable for their pupils' safety?

We have all seen it and been shocked by it. Some otherwise outwardly sane individual will, without looking, step out into the path of oncoming traffic in the belief that the car will always stop. Well, welcome to the real world, a little late.. and perhaps too late to matter for some.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:59 pm

We have laws here and fines for Jay Walking, the police need to step up and start implementing these laws ASAP, maybe then people will think twice about running across 4 lanes of traffic.

So much is blamed on the motorist yet if people were not in the road they would be less likely to die by car.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Fines for jaywalking vary from $15 to $700 across Canada | Metro News

“I don’t think it should be a ticket. Maybe a warning,” argued Nguyen, a 31-year-old web developer, who said it was “silly” for police to give out citations for jaywalking.

I think it is silly to give out tickets for speeding, a warning is quite sufficient.

“Most pedestrians who are jaywalking aren’t actually putting themselves or others in danger,” Reid said.

A driver speeding in a car could make the same argument in some instances. Not sure how that would go in court!

Cyclists are as bad, many believing the Motor Vehicle Act does not apply to them.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j

Where is the equivalent in Canada? Is it left out of the curriculum in case they think that it would make them liable for their pupils' safety?
My daughter did road safety, along with cycling safety, in grade 3. They went to the community safety village. There was a lot of emphasis on making eye contact with drivers. It wasn't long after we came to Canada, and I remember being shocked that the police teaching the course were armed.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
My daughter did road safety, along with cycling safety, in grade 3. They went to the community safety village. There was a lot of emphasis on making eye contact with drivers. It wasn't long after we came to Canada, and I remember being shocked that the police teaching the course were armed.
Those kids on bicycles can be pretty unruly!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
When I went to school in the UK we were taught 'road drill'...AND I still stop at the kerb and look both ways...
The right way around?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:07 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The right way around?
Unfortunately no. When I drive to road junction, I still find myself looking right first, it really is taking some time to retrain myself and it's hard going.. even after a few years..

What's that I hear about teaching old dogs and new tricks? Woof Woof.... Wimper..