P.T. jobs

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P.T. jobs

Originally Posted by Gozit
Right. So the cell phone thread has drifted to teenagers and "kids these days" and this one has drifted to cell phones.
Ironic innit.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
$99. It lasts for 2 years, and if I break it, it costs $50 to replace it and I can do it twice. The max it could cost me is $200. I've never had to claim against it. The one time I did (stupid kid knocked it out of my hand at a fair), I fudged a problem with the Wi-Fi antenna so I wouldn't have to pay the $50. I never keep a phone longer than 7-12 months so its enough.
Do you pay the $99 every time you replace the phone? I assume so if its an extended warranty on the phone. So at least once a year, maybe twice a year some years? You say you have had a smartphone for 4 years, so that is a minimum of $400 paid out in insurance. You are only 15 and we are only talking about one of the many items where extended warranties are offered. It doesn't take much to work out what Shard was getting at with his suggestion to just put the money away.
We have saved thousands over the years by taking this approach. You have to be tough though and say no every single time. The rare occasion where something has broken between the end of the normal warranty and when the extended one would have run out, we have just replaced it, knowing that we are still well ahead.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Do you pay the $99 every time you replace the phone? I assume so if its an extended warranty on the phone. So at least once a year, maybe twice a year some years? You say you have had a smartphone for 4 years, so that is a minimum of $400 paid out in insurance. You are only 15 and we are only talking about one of the many items where extended warranties are offered. It doesn't take much to work out what Shard was getting at with his suggestion to just put the money away.
We have saved thousands over the years by taking this approach. You have to be tough though and say no every single time. The rare occasion where something has broken between the end of the normal warranty and when the extended one would have run out, we have just replaced it, knowing that we are still well ahead.
Hmmm you and Shard make a good point. And considering I don't break my devices much, only had to utilise the warranty ONCE and that was because some dumb kid running like the blazes knocked it out me hands.

I also only keep my phones max 1 year before I get tired of it/want the latest and greatest, so the extended warranty ends up being lost upon resale.