P.T. jobs

Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P.T. jobs

Originally Posted by Oink
What about some low key drug dealing? Its Canada you won't get caught and if you do it'll just be a slap on the wrist.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Nothing will come of that. You need to step away from the computer and go and see them, in person.
Gahhh. I know you're right.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Does anybody really believe that?
Like she says, its in the attitude, which I clearly don't have . I don't think I can make myself happy with something I do not like... Don't think I've that sort of thing in me.

I'm speaking of school of course. I could very well enjoy the job at shoppers, it wouldn't be half bad, but not what I want at the moment....

Premium Maltese
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody really believe that?
Ummm. Yes. Me. I have personal experience to back it up. And I know I'm not the only one.

I went through a period of massive negativity in my life. I spent years thinking it was due to something outside of me. I spent years looking for 'answers' and thinking 'things would be different if x was better or y was different'. And when x got better or y was different, I still felt crap.

Life only got better when I was able to change my attitude, and start seeing the positives in things instead of the negatives.

Negative thinking is a habit. If you are in the habit of seeing the negatives first, you'll never feel positive about anything for very long. But if you can break that habit and train yourself to see the positives in a situation first, you find that eventually positive thinking becomes your habit instead. And that way happiness lies.

How many people move continents, for example, thinking that will make them feel happier, only to find that it isn't the answer they thought it would be?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
Gozit, if I can be really deep and meaningful for a moment - if there's one piece of advice that I can give you, it is that positivity is not something that is generated outside of you. It really is within you. I'm not saying it is easy to be positive about things that you don't enjoy (like school), but it IS possible. And the key to happiness is not something that's 'out there' in the form of a job, or a different country, or a different set of circumstances. It's actually, fundamentally, about your own attitude.

If you are constantly looking for happiness somewhere outside of yourself, or thinking 'life will be better when I finish school/move/get a job I like, chances are you will always end up disappointed.

So I'd say go for the job at Shoppers. See what you can learn. Go in there telling yourself that no matter how crappy your day is, you're going to smile through it. Don't underestimate the difference you can make to someone'e day just by smiling to them and greeting them nicely at the cashier's desk, and the positive effect that will have on you. You don't 'need' the money, but it will mean you can indulge in more techy stuff that you love. And in the long run, if you've done a great job, you'll get a great reference, which will make it easier for you to get a job you really like in a few years.

One way to help you find the positives in difficult situations is to ask 'What can I learn from this?' If you can learn something, then that's a positive thing. You gain from it anyway, even if it was hard.
I can sort of see what you mean. Sometimes I do sit and wonder, once its all said and done, once I finally get where I want to go, will I be happy, or will a new set of problems come in and make me equally as annoyed (that's putting it lightly ) as I am right now.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Negative thinking is a habit. If you are in the habit of seeing the negatives first, you'll never feel positive about anything for very long. But if you can break that habit and train yourself to see the positives in a situation first, you find that eventually positive thinking becomes your habit instead. And that way happiness lies.

How many people move continents, for example, thinking that will make them feel happier, only to find that it isn't the answer they thought it would be?
That's what I was trying to imply in my other post.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
That's what I was trying to imply in my other post.
If you can figure this out now, at your age, you're going to save a lot of time and heartache later in life
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm. Yes. Me. I have personal experience to back it up. And I know I'm not the only one.

I went through a period of massive negativity in my life. I spent years thinking it was due to something outside of me. I spent years looking for 'answers' and thinking 'things would be different if x was better or y was different'. And when x got better or y was different, I still felt crap.

Life only got better when I was able to change my attitude, and start seeing the positives in things instead of the negatives.

Negative thinking is a habit. If you are in the habit osf seeing the negatives first, you'll never feel positive about anything for very long. But if you can break that habit and train yourself to see the positives in a situation first, you find that eventually positive thinking becomes your habit instead. And that way happiness lies.

To some extent.

After 9 years flogging a dead horse I wish I'd given into the negative gut feeling earlier.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Premium Maltese
Is that servalan?

Edit: it is.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To some extent.

After 9 years flogging a dead horse I wish I'd given into the negative gut feeling earlier.
Yeah. Whilst I see what prairiechicken is trying to point out, and agree with her to an extent, I don't think that strategy will make Canada a "positive". I still have the desire to move away ... That's also one of the things I want to accomplish with a P/T job - savings to move. Because I don't know whether i'm gonna go to uni or not, I might start a business, I might stay here for another year or two after high school and just save, in order to move and/or travel. So I want a little bit of a backup in terms of savings.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

To some extent.

I never said that everything is always fantastic and great and wonderful completely regardless of the situation. Some situations are crappy, of course. And knowing when to quit is important. But accepting that you feel you left it too late, the positive to take from it is that you listened to the negative gut feeling in the end....
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah. Whilst I see what prairiechicken is trying to point out, and agree with her to an extent, I don't think that strategy will make Canada a "positive". I still have the desire to move away ... That's also one of the things I want to accomplish with a P/T job - savings to move. Because I don't know whether i'm gonna go to uni or not, I might start a business, I might stay here for another year or two after high school and just save, in order to move and/or travel. So I want a little bit of a backup in terms of savings.
There's a difference between wanting to do something because you just want to do it, and wanting to do it because you think that will be the answer to how crap you feel. That's an important distinction.

And having motivation to do something you don't enjoy doing just for the sake of it (like getting a pt job at Shoppers) is important - if you can build up a few savings, that gives you choices - that's a good thing.

Edited to add: I wanted to move to Canada because I felt it would be a positive thing, and that my family and I would have more opportunities, more time to spend with each other (because of the change it would make to my husband's work hours). It's ok to want something because you think it will be better than what you have right now. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't move, or whatever you feel is going to be a positive thing for you.

Last edited by prairiechicken; Sep 18th 2014 at 9:19 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There's a difference between wanting to do something because you just want to do it, and wanting to do it because you think that will be the answer to how crap you feel. That's an important distinction.
I agree somewhat. But what if the reason you're feeling so crap, is because of the longing or want to be somewhere, or away from somewhere in my case?

And having motivation to do something you don't enjoy doing just for the sake of it (like getting a pt job at Shoppers) is important - if you can build up a few savings, that gives you choices - that's a good thing.
I agree. I want to get a job because I'd have more freedom in my spending money, I can buy certain techie purchases without having to justify the expense to mum and dad, and I can save at the same time. So that's kind of a motivator for me.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I never said that everything is always fantastic and great and wonderful completely regardless of the situation. Some situations are crappy, of course. And knowing when to quit is important. But accepting that you feel you left it too late, the positive to take from it is that you listened to the negative gut feeling in the end....
We often see on here 'X is what you make it'.

We know that's not true. Some places, people and things actually are better than others.

It's true that it's a learning experience though. Some of the effete whining on the Guardian comments, for example, requires a hefty reality check
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We often see on here 'X is what you make it'.

We know that's not true. Some places, people and things actually are better than others.

It's true that it's a learning experience though. Some of the effete whining on the Guardian comments, for example, requires a hefty reality check
+1.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree somewhat. But what if the reason you're feeling so crap, is because of the longing or want to be somewhere, or away from somewhere in my case?
OK, well first of all, let's focus on the fact that you're stuck in Canada for now, right? There may be lots of things you don't like about where you are. I DO sympathise with this, I've been there. At round about your age too. And it's really hard not to wish you were somewhere else.

But, if you are stuck there, the best favours you can do yourself, I think, are these:

1) Accept that you are where you are for now. Try not to focus on what you can't control, or on the aspects of life that you don't like right now, and make whatever best of it you can. Whether that is having fun with your techy stuff at home, spending time with friends whose company you really enjoy, or whatever. It may sound like a cliche, but acceptance is huge. I'm not saying 'put up or shut up'. Not at all. Accept that this is how it is FOR NOW, but that you can change it if you also do step 2...

2) Take positive steps towards creating the future that you want. Putting yourself a bit more in control by getting a part time job sounds like a massively sensible part of doing that. You don't want to just sit there and wait for it to happen, or for circumstances to be right. You can do something NOW that will make a difference to your future. Look into the possibilities that you have. You're young, and you have many opportunities ahead of you. You've obviously started to think about those, so maybe you can focus on the practical steps you can take to help make those things happen in the future.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK, well first of all, let's focus on the fact that you're stuck in Canada for now, right? There may be lots of things you don't like about where you are. I DO sympathise with this, I've been there. At round about your age too. And it's really hard not to wish you were somewhere else.

But, if you are stuck there, the best favours you can do yourself, I think, are these:

1) Accept that you are where you are for now. Try not to focus on what you can't control, or on the aspects of life that you don't like right now, and make whatever best of it you can. Whether that is having fun with your techy stuff at home, spending time with friends whose company you really enjoy, or whatever. It may sound like a cliche, but acceptance is huge. I'm not saying 'put up or shut up'. Not at all. Accept that this is how it is FOR NOW, but that you can change it if you also do step 2...
This one I think I've got pretty far on. This time last year, when I joined BE, I was really desperate to leave, just returning from a trip to malta most certainly did not help, but now i'm more stable and much more content, but not content to the point that i'd stay here if I actually had the choice.

2) Take positive steps towards creating the future that you want. Putting yourself a bit more in control by getting a part time job sounds like a massively sensible part of doing that. You don't want to just sit there and wait for it to happen, or for circumstances to be right. You can do something NOW that will make a difference to your future. Look into the possibilities that you have. You're young, and you have many opportunities ahead of you. You've obviously started to think about those, so maybe you can focus on the practical steps you can take to help make those things happen in the future.
This one, well yeah, that was the point of this thread. Thanks for your posts I think what i'm gonna do is try and pursue that cellular magician thing and if that doesn't work out, I'll go for shoppers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.