Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Outraged Facebook users....really??

Outraged Facebook users....really??

Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outraged Facebook users....really??

I feel bad for teens and children of modern times. I suppose for many it's positive but for those who are bullied, it's now 24/7 with various electronic ways, and people in general can be far nastier online then they ever would in person.

At least in my day which was the 90's, one school was over one got a break from the bullying until the next school day, now seems the bullies can bully 24/7.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I hear you. To comment on a online news storey in the Ottawa Citizen newspaper you have to sign in with your FB account.

When our oldest daughter was about 13 years old FB got popular and comments on FB between classmates get very caustic and nasty and then parents got involved and of course denied that their precious cupcake was involved in any of the nastiness. Our daughter blocked the main culprit in it who was the nastiest to our daughter and then that teenage girl called our house wondering why our daughter had blocked her and then I ran into her mother at the supermarket and she got quite heated with me at the supermarket asking me why our daughter had blocked here daughter. I lost it with the mother and told her FB was the biggest waste of time on the internet and that it was people like her who were so pro FB that made me decide to never get an account and that she should read her previous daughters postings from start to finish.

Too much drama for too little positive outcome.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I only use Facebook to see what my relatives are doing on the other side of the Atlantic. So I check it maybe once a week and post maybe once a month.

My policy is never to post anything I don't want the world to see, and to use a separate browser just for Facebook so they're less able to spy on me. I'm not at all amazed that people who've posted their entire lives there are now just SHOCKED that Facebook has apparently given it all away to companies for $$$$.

That said, I technically have three Facebook cameras in my spare room. But they're infrared and only turned on when I'm using them.
Are you sure? If not on Facebook, where did the civil war loonies find you?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:40 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

FB is getting the rap (and so it should) but all the platforms are becoming increasingly parasitic in nature. Case in point: Google, very few signed up for their "Circles" network, but their Plan B seems to be to quietly rope people into a social network via You Tube. We all use You Tube right ?! Very gradually anonymity is being eroded in favor of the powerful network effects that each of big internet companies crave. Linked-In, browsing used to be (and still can be) anonymous, but no more. I guess for millennials privacy is irrelevant as they're never had it.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:46 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
FB is getting the rap (and so it should) but all the platforms are becoming increasingly parasitic in nature. Case in point: Google, very few signed up for their "Circles" network, but their Plan B seems to be to quietly rope people into a social network via You Tube. We all use You Tube right ?! Very gradually anonymity is being eroded in favor of the powerful network effects that each of big internet companies crave. Linked-In, browsing used to be (and still can be) anonymous, but no more. I guess for millennials privacy is irrelevant as they're never had it.
LinkedIn charge for most of their decent services. At least it's a marginally more honest business model.

Facebook, YouTube and Google track everything. Google can apparently track your movements even if you are not connected to a network on your phone.

But I don't know why this is any shock to people as these services need paying for and the data does that.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone pays somewhere.

If you want privacy stop using the internet and throw your mobile phone in the bin- while you're at it get paid in cash and put it under your mattress. You will not last long in the real world though. Orwell called it and Big Brother is here to stay.

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 22nd 2018 at 12:49 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you sure? If not on Facebook, where did the civil war loonies find you?
US or UK?

I met my US Civil War re-enactor friend on Usenet, about twenty years ago, though I haven't seen her since I came to Canada. I've known my UK Civil War re-enactor friend since I was at school.

It'll be interesting to see the Civil War II re-enactors in a few decades. By then, my friend might be old enough to play Clinton.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
LinkedIn charge for most of their decent services. At least it's a marginally more honest business model.

Facebook, YouTube and Google track everything. Google can apparently track your movements even if you are not connected to a network on your phone.

But I don't know why this is any shock to people as these services need paying for and the data does that.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone pays somewhere.

If you want privacy stop using the internet and throw your mobile phone in the bin- while you're at it get paid in cash and put it under your mattress. You will not last long in the real world though. Orwell called it and Big Brother is here to stay.
LinkedIn may have the more honest business model but it has the least realistic descriptions and photographs. pof certainly offers more accurate descriptions of real world experience. I imagine grindr has less carefully orchestrated photographs.

The entertainment value of facebook depends, for me, on the tracking of data. It's an application for people of middle age or greater which means it presents as "friend" candidates people one once knew. It's amusing to see someone half forgotten from high school and to see them flouting their younger partner or flashy car. It's less amusing but interesting nonetheless to know who has died or joined the tories. This sort of connection can only be made if all involved supply some basic information.

A risk of not supplying information is that, when people google you, it may be that nothing turns up. That's going to look odd if the person googling is a prospective employer. I don't suggest structuring every post as if at interview but it might be as well not show one's self in the company of the facially tattooed or Chelsea supporters (assuming there are Chelsea supporters somewhere who don't have swastika tats on their foreheads).
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarkG
US or UK?

I met my US Civil War re-enactor friend on Usenet, about twenty years ago, though I haven't seen her since I came to Canada. I've known my UK Civil War re-enactor friend since I was at school.

It'll be interesting to see the Civil War II re-enactors in a few decades. By then, my friend might be old enough to play Clinton.
I have had very grim experiences with reenactors, I didn't suggest that you knew any such people.

I was referring to your idea that Americans expect civil war, you said you made the claim based on knowledge from internet forums and I've been wondering ever since where you found people who think like that.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I use ad blocker which does help a bit, but their sponsored posts don't get blocked, but I skip past anything that is sponsored, not worth my time.
If you're using your laptop rather than a mobile, download Fluffbuster Purity and then you can remove all unwanted crap so it doesn't appear on your page. Unfortunately they haven't developed the app for mobiles yet, but my page on the laptop is empty of so much crap, it's great.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If you're using your laptop rather than a mobile, download Fluffbuster Purity and then you can remove all unwanted crap so it doesn't appear on your page. Unfortunately they haven't developed the app for mobiles yet, but my page on the laptop is empty of so much crap, it's great.
I'll do that. Thanks for the link.

Google very obviously tracks people, some of their services are useful, I do like the traffic updates google send me before work and before I leave work for home.

The annoying company is Amazon and their stupid emails suggesting products I just bought.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 5:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I use that too

I use facebook as most of the forums for my hobbies have moved onto FB as groups, so only way to keep up with things and connect with others in the same hobbies.

I don't use my real name, well my first name is real, I made up the last name I use.

I don't post any photos of myself, or other humans, although there are photos just not of me or people I know.

I keep everything friends only or me only with very limited public access.

I don't put where I live, work, who I am married to, my marital status, schools or anything like that on there.

I use ad blocker which does help a bit, but their sponsored posts don't get blocked, but I skip past anything that is sponsored, not worth my time.

I don't do any of the quizzes or games and such.

I do my best to stay under the radar on FB.
I'm the same on the 'bolded'.. or almost.

The only current photos of myself/family are locked down to family only in private albums that others can't see. There's a few older family photos that are visible to friends and family only.

I'm not searchable, you can't find me unless through a friend or if I invite you.

I mainly keep FB for close friends and family in the UK and overseas; I rarely if ever comment on 'pages'; I have 1 or 2 groups that are 'member only', that I belong to..

It's useful, to me, but if I didn't have it it wouldn't be a big deal.

When an employer a few years ago did a search for me online, they could only find one mention/comment that I posted to a relative. That's how I like it!

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 22nd 2018 at 5:41 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:15 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What I don't get is why Google will send messages saying "We need some human help with this..." and ask some inconsequential question like, "Does this supermarket sell milk?" and if you answer, more messages will come asking more inconsequential questions. They're always questions where the answer is obvious or self evident.

I've posted this curiosity on BE before, and nobody actually responded. So, guys I "need some human help with this" Does anyone receive similar messages from Google (Google Maps I think) and if so, what does it all mean ???!!! Is the Google-Overlord already testing our weak human minds??
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll do that. Thanks for the link.

Google very obviously tracks people, some of their services are useful, I do like the traffic updates google send me before work and before I leave work for home.

The annoying company is Amazon and their stupid emails suggesting products I just bought.
I am currently being followed around on-line by George Ezra. But his face appearing on my calculator app isn't going to make me go back to paper and pencil. I am totally missing the essential 'truth' of all this. How does someone knowing that I 'like' pictures of my friends' kids/horse/birthday party help them make me vote for Trump?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I am currently being followed around on-line by George Ezra.
Who do you blame that on?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I am currently being followed around on-line by George Ezra. But his face appearing on my calculator app isn't going to make me go back to paper and pencil. I am totally missing the essential 'truth' of all this. How does someone knowing that I 'like' pictures of my friends' kids/horse/birthday party help them make me vote for Trump?
Is he singing to you? I could live with that.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Who do you blame that on?
All my own doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.