Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Okay - I know it will be cold - BUT.....

Okay - I know it will be cold - BUT.....

Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Okay - I know it will be cold - BUT.....

I have some Weekenders knit pants that are like thin sweat pants. When its really cold and I have to be outside, I wear them under my jeans - that way you have two layers and don't look so dorky wearing sweats over top!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Hi All,

I have looked on a weather website for Calgary and Jan and Feb are about the worst. March April does start to get warmer, so do you think we will need winter gear?

So summing up what people have said, it's layers, hat gloves and scarf and some good boots. I have read somewhere the best place to get boots, can anybody recommend somewhere and the sort of boot to be looking for please.
Also, would it be better to buy all the family ( Wife , 2 kids and me) when we get there, rather than over here and pack the to bring. Someone suggested I buy some good trekking trainers and then wear them on the journey out there?

Welsh dragon,

Where abouts you stopping in Calgary?

Judy of Calgary,

great website, loads of information

Thanks to you all, ( hope you don't mind me asking on this thread?)

regards,
Carl
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My winter boots are from "marks work wearhouse", a national chain. Windriver Tri-star somethingoranother

Waterproof, insulated, good for about -30, good non slip grip, and soft enough to not need a break in. They are quite light too for what they are.

About $80-100

I would bring what you have with you, and make sure you have decent jackets. Thermals and boots I would take a chance on getting here if you think you need them. I wouldnt take that chance on a jacket as A: They sell out quite early in the season & B: You are screwed without one.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 29th 2007 at 6:27 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibbos1
I have looked on a weather website for Calgary and Jan and Feb are about the worst. March April does start to get warmer, so do you think we will need winter gear?
Yes.

When it comes to Calgary, it is absolutely useless to look at the average daily highs and daily lows for any given month. You need to look at the extremes that have been experienced in any given month. There is a finite chance that you could experience temperatures closer to the extremes than to the average.

Here is Environment Canada's web page for Calgary International Airport.

From this website you will see the following statistics for Calgary:

MARCH

Average daily high : +4 deg C

Average night time low : -8 deg C

Highest daily high ever recorded : +22 deg C

Lowest night time low ever recorded : -37 deg C

APRIL

Average daily high : +11 deg C

Average night time low : -2 deg C

Highest daily high ever recorded : +29 deg C

Lowest night time low ever recorded : -30 deg C

I have read somewhere the best place to get boots, can anybody recommend somewhere
Mark's Work Wearhouse, as iaink said, has excellent boots. I've also heard good things about the boots at Canadian Tire.

A problem you may run into is that the selection at that time of year may not be the greatest, because it'll be getting towards the end of the season.

and the sort of boot to be looking for please
It depends why you would be buying the boots. Will you be on a recce trip, or will you be settling in Canada? Will you be going outside for two hours, or will you be alternating between interior spaces and the outdoors?

Regardless of whether you'll be on a recce trip or settling, I don't think it's worth going to a lot of expense. If it's a recce trip, it definitely isn't worth going to a lot of expense. Even if you'll be settling, it won't be worth it, because it'll be close to the end of winter. Your kids' feet will have grown by the next winter, and the boots that you buy for them in March / April 2008 may not fit by the autumn / winter of 2008 / 2009.

If you will be doing a mixture of indoor and light outdoor activities, trekking trainers may be enough for the entire trip.

ADVICE FOR A FULL WINTER

If you are going to spend a full winter in the Calgary area, your kids will need Sorel boots. These are boots that have a water-proof, nylon (or similar) outer covering and a removable and replaceable inner lining made of felt (which is one of the warmest materials on the planet).

Kids need warm boots, because quite a few of them walk from home to school and back again. Even if they don't do that, they go outdoors for recess, and they need to have clothing that is suitable down to about -25 deg C. On the very rare occasions that it gets down into the -30 deg C range in Calgary, recess is held indoors.

Men and women who spend a good deal of time outdoors also need Sorels. For example, when I stood at the bus stop on some very, very cold days, I was extremely grateful for my Sorels. They kept my toes toasty warm. Here are Sorel's collections of boots for men and women.

By the way, Mark's Work Wearhouse carries Sorel boots.

ADVICE FOR A RECCE TRIP

I feel that snow sneakers or snow runners are a good compromise when you will be visiting Calgary for a relatively short time and don't want to invest a huge amount of money in high quality, highly effective, but expensive boots. Snow sneakers or snow runners have the flexibility of sneakers or running shoes (what you call trainers in the UK), but they are insulated, so they provide more warmth than the average sneaker / runner / trainer.

Here is a photo of a pair of snow sneakers on LL Bean's website, so that you can visualize what I'm talking about.

I don't own a pair of snow sneakers. They were recommended to me by a friend who lives in Jasper, Alberta. I don't know where in Calgary you would find them, but I'm guessing Mark's Work Wearhouse would be as good a starting point for your search as any.

If you can't find something in a given store, clerks in Calgary usually are pretty good about recommending another store that might stock what you're looking for.

JACKET

About a jacket ....... I second what iaink said.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Ahh thanks Iaink, some great info there. We are thinking of buying after Christmas holiday's, in the sales. will do a search on the internet for prices over there.

Thanks again,
Carl
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

WOW Judy, great stuff, many thanks. Ahh where do i start looking

Thanks again, really appreciate it,
regards,
Carl
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:55 pm
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

Hey Rwin - you nicked my Avatar!!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:01 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by landhouse
He did, didn't he? Dont worry - yours is much slimmer!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:02 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, no - this might be the beginning of a Fat Avatar poll
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:38 pm
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gibbos1
Hi All,

So summing up what people have said, it's layers, hat gloves and scarf and some good boots. I have read somewhere the best place to get boots, can anybody recommend somewhere and the sort of boot to be looking for please.
Also, would it be better to buy all the family ( Wife , 2 kids and me) when we get there, rather than over here and pack the to bring. Someone suggested I buy some good trekking trainers and then wear them on the journey out there?

Welsh dragon,

Where abouts you stopping in Calgary?

Judy of Calgary,

great website, loads of information

Thanks to you all, ( hope you don't mind me asking on this thread?)

regards,
Carl
Hi Carl

We have found a nice B & B and they sound and look very nice. They give guests full use of the downstairs - lounges, DVD/TV, INternet etc... and also you can use the kitchen with cooker, fridge etc and we thought that would be nice to be able to have the days out and go back to the nice warm lounge for the evenings and also will help with the cost as i am sure eating out every night would be expensive. If you want the details PM me and i will let you have them.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by landhouse
Better?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the B & B in Calgary is not the one my son and his ex stayed in some years ago. The woman apparently sounded really nice on the phone. His ex told her that they were driving from Regina leaving later in the day and would not be arriving until around midnight. The woman said that would be perfectly OK. When they got there, the woman was mad becuase they arrived so late. She was mad because they took their daughter who was about three at the time. In the morning she stomped downstairs with a package of cornflakes and some milk and told them to make their own breakfast. Needless to say they paid her and left right away!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hello~ not long now before you leave realy~...time will fly fast and next thing you know you will be on that plane..

The fleece pants they are talking about are realy not daggy at all....i realy like them....you can get them cheap over here and they are cut to fit etc..not just those boring no shape things.

also the other day i saw some jeans with fleece lining!..now that appeals to me....as the cold is going straight through my winter pants i brought with me from Australia. I didn't notice it so much last winter in kelowna..cos i only went out ...now and then..but now i am working and son plays hockey.i am out every day...so yeah i am noticing a difference.

i even went to work one day in a light jacket type thing...come that evening when i left it was COLD out ...i had to stop and get petrol..and even the attendant..said...hey where's your coat...you better get one..can't walk around in this weather without one!..how nice was that..

of course where i am is not going to be anywhere near as cold as Calgary..however..it is still darn cold to me..

the main thing for me...is my feet...if they are cold..then i am cold.....so i wear sox all the time.. you can get these funky soft and toasty warm ones....places like walmart etc sell them......keeps them tootsies warm~

have some fun and do some shopping whilst here..nice to take some stuff back with you...even if you are going to eventualy bring it back to Canada nect time for good....LOL

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Nov 30th 2007 at 1:43 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:41 pm
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I hope the B & B in Calgary is not the one my son and his ex stayed in some years ago. The woman apparently sounded really nice on the phone. His ex told her that they were driving from Regina leaving later in the day and would not be arriving until around midnight. The woman said that would be perfectly OK. When they got there, the woman was mad becuase they arrived so late. She was mad because they took their daughter who was about three at the time. In the morning she stomped downstairs with a package of cornflakes and some milk and told them to make their own breakfast. Needless to say they paid her and left right away!

Hi

I sure hope its not the same one as well.

I feel sure the one we are going to is of a very good standard. there is a huge choice of breakfast, all freshly prepared and the rooms looks lovely. We have corresponded with the couple a few times now and they are very helpfull and keep to help with lots of questions etc...

We like the idea of being able to return there in the evening after a day out, relax. watch TV and cook a nice meal ( Geraint will be doing the cooking - that is what becomes of being a very good cook )
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:46 pm
Painting r own Rainbow

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
hello~ not long now before you leave realy~...time will fly fast and next thing you know you will be on that plane..

The fleece pants they are talking about are realy not daggy at all....i realy like them....you can get them cheap over here and they are cut to fit etc..not just those boring no shape things.

also the other day i saw some jeans with fleece lining!..now that appeals to me....as the cold is going straight through my winter pants i brought with me from Australia. I didn't notice it so much last winter in kelowna..cos i only went out ...now and then..but now i am working and son plays hockey.i am out every day...so yeah i am noticing a difference.

i even went to work one day in a light jacket type thing...come that evening when i left it was COLD out ...i had to stop and get petrol..and even the attendant..said...hey where's your coat...you better get one..can't walk around in this weather without one!..how nice was that..

of course where i am is not going to be anywhere near as cold as Calgary..however..it is still darn cold to me..

the main thing for me...is my feet...if they are cold..then i am cold.....so i wear sox all the time.. you can get these funky soft and toasty warm ones....places like walmart etc sell them......keeps them tootsies warm~

have some fun and do some shopping whilst here..nice to take some stuff back with you...even if you are going to eventualy bring it back to Canada nect time for good....LOL

Hi there, how you doing?

Its been ages since we spoke . We are really excited already about coming out and you are right about it going very quickly.

I went into town today and had a look at the jackets that are wind/waterproof and nice and warm and cozy. I also looked at warm trainers/boots etc but thought they were all boring, not at all girlie

I looked at nice warm undergarments that almost looked like proper clothes ( ie not underwear ) so will get us both a couple of tops prior to coming out.

how are things with you - PM me if you prefer

Take care

Dawn x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.