Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Nuclear deterrent: Trident

Nuclear deterrent: Trident

Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nuclear deterrent: Trident

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
I think you and me are reading the same book, same page, same line .....
...and I've even seen the Virgin balloon (though not yet this year).
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Well I suspect this is some trap you are setting, but, with the exception of the Falkland Islands conflict, I can't remember any NATO COUNTRIES BEING ATTACKED, why don't you enlighten me, when has the NATO Alliance been required and failed to step up to the mark? Iraq? No we invaded, Afghanistan, no we attacked AQ, to deny them a base there, Balkans? No peacekeeping then SFOR, Sierra L, no, no no😃. Perhaps you think NI? No nuclear D required there...

Perhaps Korea? No UNITED NATIONS......
The only time a NATO member has invoked Article 5 (an attack on one is an attack on all) of the Washington Treaty was by the United States on 12 September 2001. This led to the NATO-led invasion and occupation of Afghanistan.

Affordable, ha ha, since when as any big defence contract come in on budget, that figure you mention with inflation, cost overruns and project extension is likely to be close to 1 trillion. Milliband and Cameron both want it, so they can both lie about the cost and neither will correct the other. I say get rid. Unlimited wants, limited resources. If you want NHS, better education, a MOD that has weapons it will be able to use in a conflict, dump trident.
Whilst I'd agree Britain's history of military procurement isn't exactly covered in glory the £100 billion figure comes from Nicola Sturgeon who is not renowned for her unwavering support of our nuclear deterrent and therefore can be counted on for giving the most conservative (i.e. worst case scenario) estimate.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I was about to like BritInParis's wel thought out points, but Ben trumped you. Sorry.
Don't worry, I wouldn't trust the French further than I could throw them either.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
On that logic, Canada should be arming itself up "just in case".

Despite the number of Russians now living in London, Ukraine is a false comparison. Indeed even if the Ukraine possessed nukes, I can't see them being used for this particular boundary dispute.

The point is not should we relinquish all nuclear deterrent, but Trident itself. In desperate geopolitical circumstances, would Britain send subs over to N Korea or Pakistan any sooner than the USA? Seems unlikely.
What would be a better alternative to a trident replacement?
Old Apr 21st 2015, 12:42 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
What would be a better alternative to a trident replacement?
I'm assuming Britain has some land based nuclear missiles (UK or US controlled) and/or participates in NATO sited missiles in Europe. That seems an adequate level of nuclear deterrent.

My view is that if geopolitics escalates to the point that a missile will be launched, it is the USA that will be doing the launching. I simply cannot see any European nation making a first strike.

It's a question of priority. Plenty of funds required for health, social and education purposes in the UK; once those areas are properly funded, the luxury of a a Trident replacement might be viable.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming Britain has some land based nuclear missiles (UK or US controlled) and/or participates in NATO sited missiles in Europe. That seems an adequate level of nuclear deterrent.

My view is that if geopolitics escalates to the point that a missile will be launched, it is the USA that will be doing the launching. I simply cannot see any European nation making a first strike.

It's a question of priority. Plenty of funds required for health, social and education purposes in the UK; once those areas are properly funded, the luxury of a a Trident replacement might be viable.
US provides some tactical nuclear weapons to some european countries but retains control.

Both Britain and France have stated they would use nuclear weapons as a first strike. They both developed nuclear weapons capability in order not to be dependent on an unreliable ally.

It looks like the subs are difficult to detect...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vanguard_and_Le_Triomphant_submarine_collision
Nye Bevan supported a UK nuclear deterrent as well as another organisation the present labour leader now wishes to weaponise......

Last edited by jimf; Apr 21st 2015 at 4:48 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:42 pm

The first priority of any government is to protect its citizens, it's not a luxury. If it cannot do that then nothing else matters.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 4:30 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment.

But things change.

I have a mini keg of craft beer in the fridge. I have no intention of drinking it but should a friend knock on the door unannounced it is ready to go.

Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Besides it's good for the morale of a decadent western power like Britain to feel it has a way to play bully to those non-nuclear club members.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:22 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The first priority of any government is to protect its citizens, it's not a luxury. If it cannot do that then nothing else matters.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
You're getting caught up in slogans. Protect from what? How about protection from disease by building a more robust health service. If it was 1955 and we did not know then what we do now (about his states will act in a nuclear age) then a nuclear deterrent might be arguable. Times have changed.

The only point I would concede (since nobody has bothered to make it) is that If a terrorist "state" (IS for example) procured a nuclear weapon and intended to launch against Britain or an ally, Britain might want to have first strike capability.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

You're getting caught up in slogans. Protect from what? How about protection from disease by building a more robust health service.
A nation isn't a nation if it can't protect its borders. Putting the money that went into paying for WWII into the NHS instead would mean Britain would now be a small province of the Third Reich.

The only point I would concede (since nobody has bothered to make it) is that If a terrorist "state" (IS for example) procured a nuclear weapon and intended to launch against Britain or an ally, Britain might want to have first strike capability.
Nukes are pretty much useless against non-state actors, because you can't nuke a city to kill a few terrorists, whereas a few terrorists can nuke a city to destroy a state. This is why governments are so scared of non-state actors getting them; they're highly asymmetric weapons.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:48 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by MarkG
A nation isn't a nation if it can't protect its borders. Putting the money that went into paying for WWII into the NHS instead would mean Britain would now be a small province of the Third Reich.

Nukes are pretty much useless against non-state actors, because you can't nuke a city to kill a few terrorists, whereas a few terrorists can nuke a city to destroy a state. This is why governments are so scared of non-state actors getting them; they're highly asymmetric weapons.
Protect from the new and improved Third Reich? Can't someone come up with a plausible aggressor? Doesn't look like it.

They're not that useless against non-state actors...because if there was one aimed at London (with the clock ticking) there would be a very short practical debate on the merits of self preservation.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Protect from the new and improved Third Reich?
No, the old one. Back before WWII, plenty of people were arguing that Britain should forget about defence and build a welfare state. If that advice had been followed, Hitler would have won the war, and we'd be speaking German.

Can't someone come up with a plausible aggressor? Doesn't look like it.
The world is a vastly more dangerous place than it was when I was a kid and America and Russia had tens of thousands of nukes pointed at each other. The Middle East is disintegrating, the EU is teetering, and Republicans want to start the Cold War all over again. If you think Britain should just drop all its defences and let anyone walk in...

They're not that useless against non-state actors...because if there was one aimed at London (with the clock ticking) there would be a very short practical debate on the merits of self preservation.
What do you mean 'aimed at London?'

Terrorists wouldn't deliver their nuke by ICBM, they'd deliver it in the back of a Transit van, or a small private jet.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Mine is the 58th post in this thread and every single one is from a male poster.

Just saying.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:15 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hmm. Mine is the 58th post in this thread and every single one is from a male poster.

Just saying.
They should take the vote away from women?

Bit regressive based on a small forum sample of male views.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
They should take the vote away from women?

Bit regressive based on a small forum sample of male views.
It's just that those good ol' tridents are so very phallic you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.