Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Now this is a Jobsworth moment.

Now this is a Jobsworth moment.

Old Feb 8th 2018, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now this is a Jobsworth moment.

Now the odd time on here 1 or 2 posters may have made the comment regarding me being a jobsworth either in seriousness or in jest but even Im not this bad

One unlucky motorist was handed a parking ticket by a jobsworth council attendant after his permit was not visible due to snowfall.
When you go on the website they have the photographs they took and the reason the permit wasn’t visible was because it had snowed overnight and the windscreen was covered in snow.
Mr Claxton said that if the overzealous attendant had simply wiped the snow away then they would have seen the permit.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...overed-snow-UK
Old Feb 8th 2018, 12:10 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now this is a Jobsworth moment.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Now the odd time on here 1 or 2 posters may have made the comment regarding me being a jobsworth either in seriousness or in jest but even Im not this bad

One unlucky motorist was handed a parking ticket by a jobsworth council attendant after his permit was not visible due to snowfall.
When you go on the website they have the photographs they took and the reason the permit wasn’t visible was because it had snowed overnight and the windscreen was covered in snow.
Mr Claxton said that if the overzealous attendant had simply wiped the snow away then they would have seen the permit.

Incredible!

Given one quote in that article, I imagine that it now 'jobsworths please form an orderly queue"

quote "The council said that it would be looking into the case and respond in due corse." end quote.

Presumably invoking a second line of jobsworths to check the spelling...

Old Feb 8th 2018, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like the ticket could as easily be for managing to park both on the kerb and a country mile away from it at the same time as well as on a bend. Good effort!
Old Feb 8th 2018, 1:07 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

This kind of thing is not limited to the public sector.

I paid off my mortgage last week. My online bank statement is showing zero for the mortgage. Lovely jubbly, all done and dusted!

Except that it isn't.

Souvette and I still have to take time off and go to a notary (and pay) to get a letter saying that we have paid off the mortgage. That's a few hundred bucks for SFA!
Old Feb 8th 2018, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
This kind of thing is not limited to the public sector.

I paid off my mortgage last week. My online bank statement is showing zero for the mortgage. Lovely jubbly, all done and dusted!

Except that it isn't.

Souvette and I still have to take time off and go to a notary (and pay) to get a letter saying that we have paid off the mortgage. That's a few hundred bucks for SFA!
Indeed, how the 'Gravy train' goes round and around.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 5:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, what for and what happens if you don't do it - I suppose the answer to the first might make the second one redundant.

When my wife died there were some accounts in both names to change to just mine. Some wanted copies of death cert - except for bank, for no good reason. You might think "government and municipality" would be the officious ones but nope, it tended to be TV and phone company types.

I'd send them emails to change it, back would come "we need death cert" I'd say "no you don't, just do it please" and it was done. Except for the province who amended the property tax account for the home but not the duplex.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:03 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Out of interest, what for and what happens if you don't do it - I suppose the answer to the first might make the second one redundant.

When my wife died there were some accounts in both names to change to just mine. Some wanted copies of death cert - except for bank, for no good reason. You might think "government and municipality" would be the officious ones but nope, it tended to be TV and phone company types.

I'd send them emails to change it, back would come "we need death cert" I'd say "no you don't, just do it please" and it was done. Except for the province who amended the property tax account for the home but not the duplex.
I don't know the answer to your questions. I will seek answers when I go to the bank on Monday. And I will get the answers. I've got my banking officer by the danglies. I'm taking Souvette with me but the officer doesn't know that. Souvette doesn't play nicely with other children.......

Similar situation when Souvette and I got married (better check the date on that; I think our 10th anniversary is coming up). The notaire did it all. Signed, witnessed, stamped etc. Except that it meant nothing until we went to city hall and paid a jobsworth to rubber stamp it.

It does boggle me. When my SIL died a few years ago, the joint bank account with BIL got frozen. It was a joint bank account FFS!
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:46 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

When I paid off my mortgage I assumed my bank would send me the title deeds. When I enquired about this they told me that they charge a fee - several hundred pounds I recall - for them to locate and send the deeds to me and then I would probably need to pay for safe storage somewhere. So they said its easier for them to keep hold of them, at no charge to me, until a point in time at which I need them.

Seemed to me to be a bit of positive jobsworthery.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer to your questions. I will seek answers when I go to the bank on Monday. And I will get the answers. I've got my banking officer by the danglies. I'm taking Souvette with me but the officer doesn't know that. Souvette doesn't play nicely with other children.......

Similar situation when Souvette and I got married (better check the date on that; I think our 10th anniversary is coming up). The notaire did it all. Signed, witnessed, stamped etc. Except that it meant nothing until we went to city hall and paid a jobsworth to rubber stamp it.

It does boggle me. When my SIL died a few years ago, the joint bank account with BIL got frozen. It was a joint bank account FFS!
I suspect (but not 100% certain as I don't know the exact circumstances) that it's to do with discharging the mortgage lien against your property in the land registry.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 7:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That happened with MIL when her husband died. Cause a few problems. I was prepared for that and did the necessary transfers so only about 5c got frozen.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
When I paid off my mortgage I assumed my bank would send me the title deeds. When I enquired about this they told me that they charge a fee...So they said its easier for them to keep hold of them, at no charge to me, until a point in time at which I need them...
Ah, now that rings a bell. I remember reading many moons ago (UK) that it was a good idea to keep a small amount outstanding. It kept you as a borrower in the event of future borrowing and they'd keep the deeds safe.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I suspect (but not 100% certain as I don't know the exact circumstances) that it's to do with discharging the mortgage lien against your property in the land registry.
Ah...sounds feasible.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Which is something that the lender is legally obliged to do. I have no idea what it is the Souvy needs to do. I accept that he is dealing with civil law though.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
When I paid off my mortgage I assumed my bank would send me the title deeds. When I enquired about this they told me that they charge a fee - several hundred pounds I recall - for them to locate and send the deeds to me and then I would probably need to pay for safe storage somewhere. So they said its easier for them to keep hold of them, at no charge to me, until a point in time at which I need them.

Seemed to me to be a bit of positive jobsworthery.
I doubt very much that there are any titled deeds (registration did away with those in 1925) but many properties still have them as a result of a new registration not have occurred.

However, I would have thought that your purchase of the property would have happened sufficiently recently for a registration to have already occurred and, if it has, there are no deeds.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:22 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously I don't know as I have never seen them, but I guess there must be some type of "ownership document" otherwise why would a bank hold them as security for a mortgage? Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding you, if you mean that the document is a registration rather than a title deed? I'll not pretend to know what either one actually is!
Old Feb 8th 2018, 8:22 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Well you can't really expect the poor guy to go wiping snow off of all the cars in the street can you? Supposing he aint got no gloves? then what? His fingers will freeze.

Better to issue the ticket and leave it to the owner to dispute in court.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Danny B
Well you can't really expect the poor guy to go wiping snow off of all the cars in the street can you? Supposing he aint got no gloves? then what? His fingers will freeze.
Or it might be yellow snow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.