Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Northern Gateway + Enbridge

Northern Gateway + Enbridge

Old Jun 20th 2014, 5:17 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Gateway + Enbridge

Originally Posted by burks
Trees can be replaced with... Trees. And they don't pose the hazard of leaking.

There is a major concern around safety, Enbridge's rep with spills and their reaction to them, and also how BC would be taking a majority of the risk but receiving little in return.

If there was a spill, who would be picking up the bill?
You do realise that, pipeline or no, the oil is going to be transported anyway (via railway)?

Think about your house. Do you have a gas line coming into your house, or would you prefer propane bottles to be delivered regularly?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
You do realise that, pipeline or no, the oil is going to be transported anyway (via railway)?

Think about your house. Do you have a gas line coming into your house, or would you prefer propane bottles to be delivered regularly?
Thanks Captain Obvious

I don't know enough detail to take a definite for or against stance. I was just stating a couple of the reasons against as everyone seemed to be saying the pros.. which doesn't make for much of a debate!

BC has said it would support the pipeline if it meets 5 conditions. At present it does not feel that it meets those 5 conditions. So as I understand it, it doesn't really matter too much that Ottawa has approved it, as BC can block it.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Trees can be replaced with... Trees. And they don't pose the hazard of leaking.

There is a major concern around safety, Enbridge's rep with spills and their reaction to them, and also how BC would be taking a majority of the risk but receiving little in return.

If there was a spill, who would be picking up the bill?
Its going to be transported either way, and I don't think rail and roads is safer nor more efficient.

Trees can be replaced, but the forest never truly is. Clear cutting is a horrible way to manage forestry and preserve the environment.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Its going to be transported either way, and I don't think rail and roads is safer nor more efficient.

Trees can be replaced, but the forest never truly is. Clear cutting is a horrible way to manage forestry and preserve the environment.
Just because it's going to be transported either way.. that prevents BC from wanting an improved proposal in regards to things such as spill response procedures etc.?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:02 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Just because it's going to be transported either way.. that prevents BC from wanting an improved proposal in regards to things such as spill response procedures etc.?
That's what regulatory bodies are for. Compliance with safety standards and environmental standards etc. should be black and white - not subject to conditional political approval.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
That's what regulatory bodies are for. Compliance with safety standards and environmental standards etc. should be black and white - not subject to conditional political approval.
The conditions set by christy clarke remind me of the conditions set by gordon brown for joining the euro. I.e any politically expedient result can be retrofitted as and when required.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The conditions set by christy clarke remind me of the conditions set by gordon brown for joining the euro. I.e any politically expedient result can be retrofitted as and when required.
Didn't you miss out plus the amount of briefcases or brown envelopes stuffed with cash.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Captain Obvious

I don't know enough detail to take a definite for or against stance. I was just stating a couple of the reasons against as everyone seemed to be saying the pros.. which doesn't make for much of a debate!

BC has said it would support the pipeline if it meets 5 conditions. At present it does not feel that it meets those 5 conditions. So as I understand it, it doesn't really matter too much that Ottawa has approved it, as BC can block it.
There are oil pipelines all over north america.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 11:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Harper should do a Chavez and give us all free petrol. That will shut people up.