No soup for you.

Old Mar 19th 2016, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default No soup for you.

Im sure there are a few BE members who remember the Seinfeld episode 116 in the series where the Soup Nazi refuses to serve Elaine with his soup as she does not follow the rules when entering his store.

Well you can now call CBSA officers the same as this fellow from Ontario found out as posted in this article.
‘It’s not like I was importing guns’: Ontario man slapped with $800 fine for trying to bring soup from Mexico | National Post

1. This legislation falls under the Minister for Agriculture and Agri Food.
2. The penalties are found in this link again under the Minister for Agriculture and Agri Food
Agriculture and Agri-Food Administrative Monetary Penalties Regulations
Penalties
5 (1) The amount of the penalty in respect of a violation that is committed by an individual otherwise than in the course of business and that is not committed to obtain a financial benefit is

(a) $500, for a minor violation;

(b) $800, for a serious violation; and

(c) $1300, for a very serious violation.

Payment
10 (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person named in a notice of violation shall pay the amount of the penalty 30 days after the day on which the notice is served.

(2) A person named in a notice of violation may pay an amount equal to one half of the penalty, in lieu of the penalty, within 15 days after the day on which the notice is served.

3. This legislation is Administered by CBSA officers at Ports Of Entry.

Basically this means if you are carrying any food, plant or animal product or by products into the country you NEED to declare it. If arriving by plane you have filled out the declaration card where it specifically asks the following question

I am/We are bringing into Canada
Meat/meat products; dairy products; fruits; vegetables; seeds; nuts; plants and animals or their parts/products; cut flowers; soil; wood/wood products; birds; insects.

So if you have ticked No to that box then if prohibited, restricted or controlled items are found in your possession then you COULD be issued a penalty.
If you have ticked YES and they are found you don't get a penalty and the items are taken by CBSA for destruction.

If you feel that this is a stupid rule and the fines are outrageous then perhaps you should complain to the Minister of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency as its their department who makes these rules and decide what the penalties are NOT CBSA.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 2:07 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No soup for you.

We ticked no for dairy, but had quite a lot of Cadbury chocolate in our possession. We came back thru the main part at YYZ, as it was less of a line up. We said we had a few bars of chocolate and the lady said ok.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 3:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Got him bang to rights I'd say. Which part of "do you have any food" doesn't he understand?
FL has indoctrinated, er informed, me so well that I declare my hand luggage is full of marks and Spencer salt and vinegar chiplets. I get a grunt and a sort of nod, more of an upward jerk of the head, and sent on my way.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Got him bang to rights I'd say. Which part of "do you have any food" doesn't he understand?
FL has indoctrinated, er informed, me so well that I declare my hand luggage is full of marks and Spencer salt and vinegar chiplets. I get a grunt and a sort of nod, more of an upward jerk of the head, and sent on my way.
Indoctrinated, educated, informed or just trying to save the traveller money if they care.
Of course pointing out such indiscretions to the traveller is sometimes rewarded with the usual I pay your wages, get a proper job etc etc.
Now Madam I appreciate that Shih Tzu you are carrying might be your companion but its still an animal and you ticked No to this question so I'm just wondering if you even bothered to read the question or have difficulty with the English language or suffer from a reading disability.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:03 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Since cradles don't consider marmite to be food I presume you could get away with not ticking the box?

Seriously I'm slightly confused here. Is the tick box for food or items on the list (since they list vegetables I'm thinking the list is food). I typically bring in marmite, pickled onions, Branston pickle and maybe a tin of mushy peas. Absolutely never to meat or dairy.

Where do u stand with that? Should I declare them so they can be taken away and destroyed on my behalf?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Since cradles don't consider marmite to be food I presume you could get away with not ticking the box?

Seriously I'm slightly confused here. Is the tick box for food or items on the list (since they list vegetables I'm thinking the list is food). I typically bring in marmite, pickled onions, Branston pickle and maybe a tin of mushy peas. Absolutely never to meat or dairy.

Where do u stand with that? Should I declare them so they can be taken away and destroyed on my behalf?
If unsure declare. Many of the articles would not be found to be prohibited entry so we wouldn't be taking them away. If they are found to be inadmissible we would simply take them away and no penalty or fine.
You could also adopt the I didn't know but really you would have no complaints if the officer just took the items and no penalty or fine was issued for not declaring them.
Im betting many BE travellers coming back from the UK have brought lots of stuff in either declared or not but how many have been fined for doing it.
Your choice in the end how you want to proceed.

BTW what is an onion or a pea whether processed or not?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
BTW what is an onion or a pea whether processed or not?
I ever quite got the inherent danger of canned goods (unless you want to throw them at the CBSA officer). I mean, mushy peas are as dead as a pea can get really.

I never declare chocolate or biscuits or Skips when I bring them in 'cos they aren't on the list. You're saying we should declare ANY food?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ann m
I ever quite got the inherent danger of canned goods (unless you want to throw them at the CBSA officer). I mean, mushy peas are as dead as a pea can get really.

I never declare chocolate or biscuits or Skips when I bring them in 'cos they aren't on the list. You're saying we should declare ANY food?
What does the question say? Certain products even in a processed state can still carry diseases. When was the last time you bought canned meat products from the UK and why are they prohibited entry into Canada?
There is no list of what can and can be brought in. The only way to check is by using the CFIA AIRS website.

Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) - Plants - Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:50 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What does the question say? Certain products even in a processed state can still carry diseases. When was the last time you bought canned meat products from the UK and why are they prohibited entry into Canada?
There is no list of what can and can be brought in. The only way to check is by using the CFIA AIRS website.

Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) - Plants - Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Well, as suggested, I did a search- Quavers and Wotsits thankfully drew a blank- as did Monster Munch- the latter is surprising as I would have thought that that one would be definitely classified as a alien substance. Phew- I will continue to stuff all our suitcases with them and keep schtum
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Potato chips, flakes, sticks - Snack food
05Various flavours (i.e. salt & vinegar) - Potato chips, flakes, sticks - Snack food

Origin : GB
EUEurope
GBUnited Kingdom

End Use : 46
46Travellers & Personal use and not for resale or distribution

Recommendations to CBSA/Documentation and Registration Requirement

Approved

See isn't using AIRS simple assuming you put potato chips as search word and not Monster Munch.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:23 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks FL
Although I'm not happy about lumping the food of the Gods with plain old crisps
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Thanks FL
Although I'm not happy about lumping the food of the Gods with plain old crisps
They may be approved but do they have to be declared on the form anyway?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:34 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Button it Snoop or I will muzzle you next time we travel
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Button it Snoop or I will muzzle you next time we travel
We have interviews for Nexus cards soon, don't want to lose them before we even get them!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2016, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Its how you decide to interpret the question and how deep or extreme anyone will go.

What are crisps, potato chips made from?
What is a potato?
What does the question on the CBSA form ask?

If you declare then no penalties or fines. If you don't and the officer wants to take it to the extreme then you may have a problem. So again answer the 3 questions above and then figure out if you need to declare them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.