Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Web design recommendations

Web design recommendations

Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Web design recommendations

I am wondering if anyone has got any recommendations for someone who can help me revamp or completely create a small website (I want to hire someone because I can't do it myself).

I've tried the website builders but not successfully.

Any tips or pointers received with thanks.

Thanks!
Old Oct 20th 2017, 12:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Web design recommendations

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I am wondering if anyone has got any recommendations for someone who can help me revamp or completely create a small website (I want to hire someone because I can't do it myself).

I've tried the website builders but not successfully.

Any tips or pointers received with thanks.

Thanks!
Having someone design a website for you won't be cheap and unless you are conversant with the software they use, you will end up paying for updating it and maintaining it.

I realise you have said you don't think you can do it - but https://www.wix.com/ is reasonably easy and a good website builder where you can adjust it to your preference. The only downside is that there is a monthly fee if you wish to have your own url, rather than an add on (like wix.com/Snowy)

There are free website builders out there (as you know) but they are pretty basic... I paid for the software I used in the end as I got too frustrated with the limitations.

If you decide to use wix and need any help, just shout.

Old Oct 20th 2017, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

I started out using Yola (builder) and bought my website name with them. I still pay them about $15 a year to keep the name.

When I gave up with Yola, I found someone on one of these sites where you can choose someone to create a website for you among those advertising to do so. The person was very willing and website was created. Then I found a hosting company but the result doesn't look very professional.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 2:11 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Websites are 20% knowing how to use the software and 80% understanding and implementing a good design.

I have interviewed many over the years, plenty understood the technical side, very few had a clue about design. Now I use a graphic designer who can do websites. We paid around $6000 for the initial site and around $1000 a year for updates. We are coming to a major overhaul soon, I am thinking around $5000 for the budget. We have a searchable DB along with the site.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks I knew it would be expensive although I hadn't realized as much as that!
Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Thanks I knew it would be expensive although I hadn't realized as much as that!
It can be done for less, however for the most part you get what you pay for. No web presence is better than a poor quality on in my view.

We had quotes up to $25000 for our site, so we cut back a bit. Over the years, we are into it for $10k to date.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 6:06 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Beware...

I have found, without exception, that when designing anything for anyone the following rule applies:

People NEVER know what they want until they SEE what they don't want.

The inevitable result of this is an iterative process that costs money. Unless you are one of those rare individuals who're able to both verbally and more importantly in written form explicitly describe precisely what you want then differences in interpretation will always result in transfer of treasure from you to a grateful recipient.

And this rule applies to even those should know better. A contracting company I worked for knew whenever they acquired a contract that the actual cost would double. The reason for this was that the specification would always forget or miss out items that were considered obvious. Even I have got it wrong sometimes and I should have known better.

Last edited by dave_j; Oct 20th 2017 at 6:13 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am learning from reading your comments! Noted with thanks.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I run a law practice using a Wix.com website.

I depend upon my site for 60% of my work (very few repeat customers).

Wix charges me $100 or so a year.

Think about the type of site you would like to see if you were googling what it is you are offering and do that.

Clearly, if you want to offer an online shopping experience, you may need the assistance of an expert, but if you are simply wanting contact information, a bio and a blog, it shouldn't be that difficult and I would suggest that you look at what your competitors are doing and do something similar.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 9:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I run a law practice using a Wix.com website.

I depend upon my site for 60% of my work (very few repeat customers).

Wix charges me $100 or so a year.

Think about the type of site you would like to see if you were googling what it is you are offering and do that.

Clearly, if you want to offer an online shopping experience, you may need the assistance of an expert, but if you are simply wanting contact information, a bio and a blog, it shouldn't be that difficult and I would suggest that you look at what your competitors are doing and do something similar.

+1 - find a site you like and use it as a basis...

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 20th 2017 at 9:02 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes thanks I have a similar sort of need as AC: no online shop required. You have to be careful though not to pinch other people's design ideas esp if they're in the same line of business as you.

We're in the middle of a power outage so I'll be back a bit later as I'm conserving my phone battery.