Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The new plane regulations

The new plane regulations

Old Aug 12th 2006, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default The new plane regulations

They will be good and bad. I always travel light. I usually take one carryon wheelie suitcase with me so I don't have to hang around at that darn carousel thing. I borrow stuff from my sister and Mom when I get there!

However, it will sure put paid to those guys who bring on a great huge laptop bag, a great huge hockey bag and sundry other things.

I could NEVER understand it. I always fly Air Canada and it says ONE piece of carry on - how did these guys get away with bringing everything but the kitchen sink on?

Oh - and I admit I do have another small bag with my valuables in it.

I always carry my camera with me - guess I can't any more - no more photos out the plane windows I guess. I mostly took it with me because I didn't trust the baggage handlers not to kick my suitcase around and break the camera.

Still, I would prefer longer slower checkins to the alternative.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new plane regulations

Originally Posted by lizwil98
They will be good and bad. I always travel light. I usually take one carryon wheelie suitcase with me so I don't have to hang around at that darn carousel thing. I borrow stuff from my sister and Mom when I get there!

However, it will sure put paid to those guys who bring on a great huge laptop bag, a great huge hockey bag and sundry other things.

I could NEVER understand it. I always fly Air Canada and it says ONE piece of carry on - how did these guys get away with bringing everything but the kitchen sink on?

I always carry my camera with me - guess I can't any more - no more photos out the plane windows I guess. I mostly took it with me because I didn't trust the baggage handlers not to kick my suitcase around and break the camera.

Liz - please don't tell me they're banning laptops in the cabin???
Old Aug 12th 2006, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Calgal
Liz - please don't tell me they're banning laptops in the cabin???
If you are flying back from Heathrow- yes. Right now not even books and magazines. Can't even buy perfume at the duty free to take on board, apparently.
Sorry, I am not Liz.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
If you are flying back from Heathrow- yes. Right now not even books and magazines. Can't even buy perfume at the duty free to take on board, apparently.
Sorry, I am not Liz.
No - Canada to US. Just did a google on it and it seems there is some confusion.......media hype and all. There is NO way my OH can put his laptop in the hold (for various reasons) as well as using in-flight time to get work done.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:08 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
No - Canada to US. Just did a google on it and it seems there is some confusion.......media hype and all. There is NO way my OH can put his laptop in the hold (for various reasons) as well as using in-flight time to get work done.
Currently if you are travelling from Canada to the U.S. the only thing that has changed in the last few days is that you can no longer have liquids with you as carry on. Nothing else has changed as of yet.

Link to press release issued by government department.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/english/media...06-08-10_2.htm

Travelling from the UK a whole different kettle of fish, no carry on at all except cash, your wallet and passport in a clear plastic bag.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hangman
Currently if you are travelling from Canada to the U.S. the only thing that has changed in the last few days is that you can no longer have liquids with you as carry on. Nothing else has changed as of yet.

Link to press release issued by government department.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/english/media...06-08-10_2.htm

Travelling from the UK a whole different kettle of fish, no carry on at all except cash, your wallet and passport in a clear plastic bag.

Cheers
Steve
'ello Steve! Thank you - oh wise one!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I hope they lift the restrictions soon. We're flying to the US for a month, then driving up to Canada, but since this is our immigration (already "landed", but this is the big move) we'd planned to take full advantage of the maximum baggage allowance, i.e. 2 suitcases each, plus all electronics in carryon (laptops, ipods, etc.). Not the mention the fact that I have a few serious food allergies, so I always bring a lot of food and drink for consumption on the flight, since I can't eat anything the airlines serve, and they never get the order for a special meal correct, and if I don't eat literally every couple of hours I get pretty ill. I'd quite happily "sample" everything to get it on the plane, but apparently they are only doing that for baby formula.

Bit of a nightmare. Yes, I would prefer to fly on a secure plane, but I'm seriously crossing my fingers that they loosen up some of the restrictions before the 15th of September, when we fly!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:17 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hangman
And... according to http://www.baa.co.uk/ "Passengers will be handsearched."

Woooo-weeeee! A guaranteed feel-up! I better book now.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be travelling 'light' when we fly to Montreal tomorrow with Canadian Affair. I called them last night re. the hand luggage restrictions and they said they will probably be in place for the next 2-3 weeks (at a guess). I will be packing my handbag today and just taking my purse inside a clear bag on board. The lightest I will ever have travelled LOL I'm not happy about our digital camera going in the hold, but I hope it survives the journey ok.

When we went to Calgary last year hubby's case was mangled by the equipment at Calgary Airport and the airline replaced it with no problems. Even though it was one of those hard cases, it was slashed diagnonally almost from top to bottom It was like some madman had taken a big machete to it! :scared:
Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:34 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

HWP you really make me laugh

I can do up to about 40ish rub down searches in my work every day, its on males and not very pleasant !!!!!!

Are you that horned up !!!!!

Brilliant stuff me dear, keep em cumin !!!!!

Eddie
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:16 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

well we will have 6 bottles of water and 6 tubs of powder for our flight , coz baby milk goes off in an hour if it isnt refridgerated, so i am gonna have to taste all 6 of each , waters fine , but the milk is totally revolting :scared: hope they dont say anything when i chuck it all back up over their shoes
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I also only travel with one suitcase, a small one, and don't bother with some items like soap, shampoo, toothpaste because I can always use my host's products or buy when there. However, I never use carryon. I always check my bag because I so dislike all the passengers who come onboard with cases bigger than allowed and/or two or three and the overhead compartments are packed solid and the last ones on the plane can't store theirs. When I travel I'm on vacation. There is no need to rush and I use the time waiting for my luggage to have a ciggie outside.

I'm traveling domestic first week in September and again in October. Already have purchased a clear tote for carryon, and a clear zip bag for liquids and gels for my suitcase. Will make traveling easier for me and security on my bag easier on them.

Originally Posted by lizwil98

Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh the joys of breastfeeding and flying today.

Excuse me! You want to test the breast milk from its original source. Hmmm, think not, sweetie.

Originally Posted by deenailz
well we will have 6 bottles of water and 6 tubs of powder for our flight , coz baby milk goes off in an hour if it isnt refridgerated, so i am gonna have to taste all 6 of each , waters fine , but the milk is totally revolting :scared: hope they dont say anything when i chuck it all back up over their shoes
Old Aug 12th 2006, 5:10 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I for one wouldn't mind if they banned all carry on forever - as long as you can take a book that is and if they supply enough water and kids activities (colouring pens etc) and sucky sweets for my eardrums
Old Aug 12th 2006, 5:18 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

Surely you are not THAT desperate!! Getting felt up by some big butch female is not my idea of fun - and I can't tell you what is or I'll be banned from the site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.