British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   A new Coffee thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/new-coffee-thread-907368/)

BristolUK Jan 1st 2018 1:26 pm

A new Coffee thread

New year, new coffee and a new mystery.

Just before 10.00am - no fast food outlets open yet, even if they will be open today. We have a Tim Hortons in the foyer of the hospital a five minute walk away (and a cafe) and a convenience store that may be open a little further away that I assume also does hot coffee. They tend to don't they?

It's long been a mystery to me why people get carry out coffee to take into work and, more surprisingly, for when they arrive home where they might make some.

But today I was looking out the front window and across the road I saw someone walking towards the door to their apartment building carrying two cups of what was likely coffee.

They had either been on foot, or drove somewhere that was open or had someone drop them off and met them at the car.

They wore PJ pants. They did have a jacket on, but PJ pants.

The feels like has warmed up to 30 below.

It's unlikely they have been to work in PJ pants, otherwise I might think they just finished a shift at the hospital.

Partially discharged Jan 1st 2018 1:32 pm

Re: A new Coffee thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12408475)
New year, new coffee and a new mystery.

Just before 10.00am - no fast food outlets open yet, even if they will be open today. We have a Tim Hortons in the foyer of the hospital a five minute walk away (and a cafe) and a convenience store that may be open a little further away that I assume also does hot coffee. They tend to don't they?

It's long been a mystery to me why people get carry out coffee to take into work and, more surprisingly, for when they arrive home where they might make some.

But today I was looking out the front window and across the road I saw someone walking towards the door to their apartment building carrying two cups of what was likely coffee.

They had either been on foot, or drove somewhere that was open or had someone drop them off and met them at the car.

They wore PJ pants. They did have a jacket on, but PJ pants.

The feels like has warmed up to 30 below.

It's unlikely they have been to work in PJ pants, otherwise I might think they just finished a shift at the hospital.

People are lazy. All it takes is to have a coffee machine, buy some ground coffee or beans and make it for something like 1/10 of the price of store bought coffee.

This also transfers to the desire for people to drive to a coffee drive-thru on the way to work to get a cup or two of Tim Horton's faux coffee. Some of them are in lineups of 10-15 cars yet they do it daily and curse the other people in front of them. Human nature can be quite confusing at times.

bats Jan 1st 2018 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12408479)
People are lazy. All it takes is to have a coffee machine, buy some ground coffee or beans and make it for something like 1/10 of the price of store bought coffee.

This also transfers to the desire for people to drive to a coffee drive-thru on the way to work to get a cup or two of Tim Horton's faux coffee. Some of them are in lineups of 10-15 cars yet they do it daily and curse the other people in front of them. Human nature can be quite confusing at times.

I used to get my decaf to take to work as the only choice there was nasty caf. I was amused by the line up for the drive through when it was quicker to park up and go in to get one.

Partially discharged Jan 1st 2018 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12408501)
I used to get my decaf to take to work as the only choice there was nasty caf. I was amused by the line up for the drive through when it was quicker to park up and go in to get one.

There is a gas station here in Ottawa that has a Tim's counter and a drive-thru wrapping around the building. There is a point in the drive-thru lineup that has a sign saying something to the effect of 'if you are behind this sign it is quicker to go in to the building and order your food/coffee.'

bats Jan 1st 2018 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12408506)
There is a gas station here in Ottawa that has a Tim's counter and a drive-thru wrapping around the building. There is a point in the drive-thru lineup that has a sign saying something to the effect of 'if you are behind this sign it is quicker to go in to the building and order your food/coffee.'

:thumbsup:

They should allow massive orders at the drive through either. I hate being stuck behind someone ordering a shed load of food and complicated drinks

BristolUK Jan 1st 2018 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12408479)

I'm not sure it's laziness, especially on this occasion with actual risk (or stupidity) involved.

I use ground coffee, making a pot of 6 cups and I reheat them in the microwave as the day goes on. Sometimes I can't be arsed (lazy) to measure the water, make up 6 spoonfuls - do I need a little more, a little less because maybe there was a little more water than usual:o- etc. So I use the Keurig machine.

Slightly more expensive but still cheaper than take-out, between 36c and 50c a cup with all the offers and choices available which even suit households with different tastes, that might at least have provided an excuse for take-outs previously.

Making a coffee run does take more effort. And time. Even if on the way.

Human nature can be quite confusing at times.
I'll say.

Snowy560 Jan 1st 2018 3:48 pm

Canada is cheap enough for takeaway coffees. It's something I enjoy doing although it's usually steeped tea in my case from Tim's. I bought a box of Tim's steeped tea pods yesterday for our coffee machine but I know I'll still be buying it ready made.

As for coffee which I don't drink much, oddly enough, McDs is the one I prefer.

R I C H Jan 1st 2018 3:49 pm

The cost of buying domestic equipment that will produce a cafe equivalent espresso based coffee (latte, machiatto, cappuccino etc) is expensive. It's also takes up a lot of kitchen counter space. Many people just don't want to invest in the cost/mess/skill it takes, so a take out is an easier option.

Of course if you just want a $2 drip coffee, then making it at home is simple and inexpensive.

BristolUK Jan 1st 2018 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 12408549)
Of course if you just want a $2 drip coffee, then making it at home is simple and inexpensive.

I suspect that's probably about 99% of the people involved in carrying their cardboard cups with plastic lids on. :nod:

BristolUK Jan 1st 2018 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12408548)
Canada is cheap enough for takeaway coffees. It's something I enjoy doing although it's usually steeped tea in my case from Tim's...

Thanks for answering :thumbup:
Do you live close enough for it still to be hot when you get home and do you go out in your PJs in 30 below temperatures to get one?

If yes, please post a photo :rofl:

dave_j Jan 1st 2018 4:38 pm

I once remember a friend asking an american why he did something requiring expense when he could have done something equivalent much simpler and for free. His answer was "because I can".

I think laziness is part of the problem, but I also think that people like the idea of being able to pay to get someone else to minister to them, it makes them feel good.

In the coffee business, it's easy to persuade someone that their coffee is better than what you can make yourself because we've all made bloody awful coffee at some time and the memory lingers, and once they've done that, once they've managed to demonstrate that you're useless at yet another simple everyday task then... kerching kerching... another nail in the coffin of self respect not to mention the bank balance.

Snowy560 Jan 1st 2018 4:43 pm

You could say that about lots of things. I almost never eat out because I don't enjoy it. But I don't assume everyone who does is lazy.

By contrast, I enjoy having/getting a coffee/tea when out and about or getting one to take home. I also don't drink alcohol so I expect I save a bit of money there compared with people who do (or do you all brew your own?).

BristolUK Jan 1st 2018 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12408568)
I think laziness is part of the problem

The thing is, that take-away coffee requires more effort. I commented earlier about measuring the coffee grounds and the water and how sometimes I didn't bother. There's the wait for the water to drip through too. But the Keurig is seconds.

In contrast, you either travel to and from the Tims or whatever, or you take a detour from the direction you want to go. And/or wait in line, give money, get change.

...I also think that people like the idea of being able to pay to get someone else to minister to them, it makes them feel good.
Do you mean because they feel above the other person (privileged) or that they feel good contributing to the well being of the server?

In the coffee business, it's easy to persuade someone that their coffee is better than what you can make yourself
Well food and drink out often is. I mean chips from a chip shop are way better than you can do at home - unless it's the one that used to be my local in Bristol. That beer tastes far better in the pub than it does at home - even a chilled bottle in a bar or restaurant tastes better than the same chilled beer from your fridge at home.

But your common or garden drip coffee doesn't taste better than your preferred brand of coffee at home.

R I C H Jan 1st 2018 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12408562)
I suspect that's probably about 99% of the people involved in carrying their cardboard cups with plastic lids on. :nod:

I can only base my knowledge on our own business, but drip coffee accounts for closer to 10% of hot drink sales.

BristolUK Jan 1st 2018 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 12408598)
I can only base my knowledge on our own business, but drip coffee accounts for closer to 10% of hot drink sales.

Yes, I can imagine :lol: That's probably the way you want it and why you have all that equipment.

I expect most of your customers want to sit in comfort and enjoy it too, rather than dropping by for a double-double to go. :(