Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Need help getting my cat to the Vet ...

Need help getting my cat to the Vet ...

Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help getting my cat to the Vet ...

Thank you everyone!

At least I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

The cat cage is in the den. The cat is sniffing it periodically.

I will report back as to what happens tomorrow!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:29 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

What an insight! Thank you OP for this thread....it's made me see that I am not the only totally bonkers person on BE! What in heaven's name are we all doing - couldn't we just buy cuddly toys
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:38 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
What an insight! Thank you OP for this thread....it's made me see that I am not the only totally bonkers person on BE! What in heaven's name are we all doing - couldn't we just buy cuddly toys
I have my cuddle monster on my lap right now, she helps me with the keyboard
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:12 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Just grab the thing by the scruff of the neck and then chuck it in the crate.

Then let the vet worry about the other end.

The vet taught me that, perhaps remembering the blood from the previous visit.

Back of the neck and the thing is immobilised.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 2:15 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Just grab the thing by the scruff of the neck and then chuck it in the crate.

Then let the vet worry about the other end.

The vet taught me that, perhaps remembering the blood from the previous visit.

Back of the neck and the thing is immobilised.
Your plan has flaws. First of all you have to get close enough to grab the creature an the scruff thing doesn't always work.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Your plan has flaws. First of all you have to get close enough to grab the creature an the scruff thing doesn't always work.
It does but you do have to get the right spot that restrains them. Just grabbing the neck is an exercise in futility and can be dangerous. You also have to support the bottom at the same time of course.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:40 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

...couldn't we just buy cuddly toys
or a different cat....
Old Mar 27th 2018, 12:15 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
or a different cat....
The problem is that kittens are all adorable...a little ball of fluff, that occasionally swipes it's tiny claws is cute, a few years on when it's become killer cat it's too late, and the bloody thing has already wormed it's way into your affections...

However, I can't complain...my dog is pretty normal and hasn't torn anyone's throat out... yet, and my kid isn't studying Serial Killer 101...yet...so I'm winning, I think
Old Mar 27th 2018, 12:56 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that kittens are all adorable...a little ball of fluff, that occasionally swipes it's tiny claws is cute, a few years on when it's become killer cat it's too late, and the bloody thing has already wormed it's way into your affections...

However, I can't complain...my dog is pretty normal and hasn't torn anyone's throat out... yet, and my kid isn't studying Serial Killer 101...yet...so I'm winning, I think
My cat is a cuddle-whore. She likes nothing more than being cuddled or brushed. Maybe she is abnormal.

Hates other animals, though.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 12:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
My cat is a cuddle-whore. She likes nothing more than being cuddled or brushed. Maybe she is abnormal.

Hates other animals, though.
This is the hard-to-catch cat. I suppose we could ask Bobby to hold him while we fetch the carrier.
Attached Thumbnails Need help getting my cat to the Vet ...-dsc_1550.jpg  
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

We failed ... threw the blanket over her ... had the cat crate ready. And she wriggled out and was off under the bed. She had gone upstairs onto the bed early this morning and the appointment was at 9.15.

I have an arrangement that we can bring her when we catch her even though we might have to wait. I'll keep you posted.

And thank you to all on this thread
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

lol I am sorry for you but it is a fun read!
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good to hear! I'm seeing the funny side!
Old Mar 28th 2018, 2:40 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
The plan has claws as well...

Unbeknown to me OH had brought forward next week's vet appointment to this afternoon, and I was out at an extended doctor's appointment.

I got home just in time for cat-herding, Pom made a dive for the door as I came in, OH rugby tackled her and screamed at me to shut the door. Pom shot upstairs in a sulk, so I went and rattled the kitchen food bowls, which brought Pim thundering in to the kitchen, and once Pom heard that I was in there, she followed.

We then retreated to our couch positions to read a bit, ignore and wait for them to come to us. Amazingly after only two minutes Pom jumps on to OH's lap, so she grabs her - not by the scruff - I upend the larger of the two carriers, in she goes, job done.

Within a few seconds Pim wanders over to check out what the fuss is all about and gets put in his carrier as good as gold, bless him.

They don't mind the carriers being on display, but Pom gets really arsey when she finds the catflap is closed off outbound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.