NCA Exams

Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Javarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: NCA Exams

I am planning to have my credentials evaluated soon and was wondering what sort of qualifications people had before sitting them. I have read that a lot of people only have to do the 4 Canadian specific exams. I have a LLB from England and am a fully qualified English solicitor.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Have a search for my previous posts and you'll find a whole range of experiences. I qualified in Scotland in 1994 but only practiced in an office for a couple of years. I worked health policy after that and came to Canada in 2010 as FSW (manager in healthcare). I was asked do 8 exams and was told it was because I was coming from a hybrid jurisdiction but eight (albeit not the same 8) is not unusual. A cynic might think there was a financial reason for this
Good luck!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Javarne
I am planning to have my credentials evaluated soon and was wondering what sort of qualifications people had before sitting them. I have read that a lot of people only have to do the 4 Canadian specific exams. I have a LLB from England and am a fully qualified English solicitor.

Thanks in advance
I was called to the Bar in 2006 and had been in criminal practice pretty much since then. I have to do 5 in total (first is August 27th!)
Old Jul 21st 2012, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Aberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really nice

With a Scottish LLB and an English LLM I was granted absolutely zero advanced standing by the NCA. Nevertheless, I now have two Canadian lawyers reporting to me, and am co-authoring a book on Canadian law.

I'm now finding that I'm stuck in my career and need to be a qualified Canadian lawyer to progress any further. Strangely enough, I'm actually toying with the idea of doing more UK law courses and possibly a new part-time "executive LLM" (GPLLM) at the University of Toronto that includes up to five courses recognized for the Certificate of Qualification. Studying full-time at a Canadian law school is just not financially possible for me at this point (they make it so difficult for people who have careers or who are of relatively modest means to study law over here).

I applied to the NCA six years ago, but I'm hoping my quasi-legal work experience and the legal writing I've done, combined with additional UK and Canadian legal qualifications, will get me some advanced standing. From what I understand, the NCA has relaxed their requirements somewhat in recent years.

I feel so envious even when I hear about people who have to sit 10 NCA exams! If I had to sit all of them I'd do it in a heartbeat!
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

redmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aberdeen_Loon
With a Scottish LLB and an English LLM I was granted absolutely zero advanced standing by the NCA. Nevertheless, I now have two Canadian lawyers reporting to me, and am co-authoring a book on Canadian law.

I'm now finding that I'm stuck in my career and need to be a qualified Canadian lawyer to progress any further. Strangely enough, I'm actually toying with the idea of doing more UK law courses and possibly a new part-time "executive LLM" (GPLLM) at the University of Toronto that includes up to five courses recognized for the Certificate of Qualification. Studying full-time at a Canadian law school is just not financially possible for me at this point (they make it so difficult for people who have careers or who are of relatively modest means to study law over here).

I applied to the NCA six years ago, but I'm hoping my quasi-legal work experience and the legal writing I've done, combined with additional UK and Canadian legal qualifications, will get me some advanced standing. From what I understand, the NCA has relaxed their requirements somewhat in recent years.

I feel so envious even when I hear about people who have to sit 10 NCA exams! If I had to sit all of them I'd do it in a heartbeat!
I have a Scottish LLB too (from Aberdeen actually) but never practised in the UK. I have to do 10 exams here, which I thought was fair enough. I will hopefully be done next month.

It is, however, a bit of an expensive and/ or time consuming process. As others have mentioned too, getting an articling position can be the biggest challenge. I didn't experience any problems though so it definitely can be done - some employers, especially in smaller markets, value maturity and experience more than others.

As Merry mentioned above, it takes a long time to get anywhere with the FLSC so be ready for a bit of a wait if you decide to proceed.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by scheherazade
I was called to the Bar in 2006 and had been in criminal practice pretty much since then. I have to do 5 in total (first is August 27th!)
Same PQE boat, different paddles, fished and landed (7) exams in the end... so count yourself lucky. Crap shoot as has been mentioned before.

FROTSUK
Old Aug 5th 2012, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Aberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really nice

Originally Posted by redmoose
I have a Scottish LLB too (from Aberdeen actually) but never practised in the UK. I have to do 10 exams here, which I thought was fair enough. I will hopefully be done next month.

It is, however, a bit of an expensive and/ or time consuming process. As others have mentioned too, getting an articling position can be the biggest challenge. I didn't experience any problems though so it definitely can be done - some employers, especially in smaller markets, value maturity and experience more than others.

As Merry mentioned above, it takes a long time to get anywhere with the FLSC so be ready for a bit of a wait if you decide to proceed.
Thanks. It took a while to get my first recommendation from them six years ago. It's going to be a long haul if I do decide to proceed.

The thing is my legal qualifications seem to be holding me back in my other career, I believe because of (mostly correct) employers' assumptions about law being my true passion. However, at least I have a relatively decent job for the time being that allows me to use my legal background and my other business qualifications and experience.

When were you at Aberdeen University? I suspect I might be a bit older than you, but I was there from 1990 to 1993.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Up North is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am hopeing to write the four mandatory exams in Jan 2013. Is anyone else planning on doing the same?
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

toniwharton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Up North
Hi, I am hopeing to write the four mandatory exams in Jan 2013. Is anyone else planning on doing the same?
Hi,
I have just registered for the 4 core exams and corporate law for January 2013. Trying to find somewhere to buy the books second hand/cheaper. Have you bought books yet? Any ideas?
Old Oct 13th 2012, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Not strictly on topic but just wanted to update my own thread - I was admitted the Nova Scotia Bar this morning!

Totally unreal as I never, ever thought I'd practice law again - came to Canada as skilled worker (manager in healthcare).

Happy to help anyone else out on this journey if I can.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Very well done - congrats.

Now of course, if you remain on this forum, and now that you are "legal", you must be prepared to be tarred and feathered on a regular basis.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merry
Not strictly on topic but just wanted to update my own thread - I was admitted the Nova Scotia Bar this morning!

Totally unreal as I never, ever thought I'd practice law again - came to Canada as skilled worker (manager in healthcare).

Congratulations
Old Oct 14th 2012, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Up North is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toniwharton
Hi,
I have just registered for the 4 core exams and corporate law for January 2013. Trying to find somewhere to buy the books second hand/cheaper. Have you bought books yet? Any ideas?
Toni, I bought the books direct from the publishers. I think there is a new edition of the Hogg Constitutional Law book out but the 2011 can still be used. Good luck!
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merry

Well done. Wrote all of mine in August in one sitting (not too prohibitive and can be done) and now just waaaiiiitttting on the slug NCA...

FROTSUK
Old Oct 16th 2012, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of

I am doing criminal and corporate in January; waiting for the results from the August foundations...
I'm over on a SOWP and we haven't even applied for PR yet so no rush as I can't be admitted to the Bar for a while yet (sigh).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.