Moving next week.

Old Jan 19th 2015, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving next week.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Have you always dealt with landlords/agencies of multiple properties/large buildings?

Just wonder if you've experienced anything different with a 'small' landlord.
Only small landlord I had was when I rented a room in Vancouver, she was good, really didn't care what anyone did as long as they paid rent, and didn't trash the place.

The apartments have all been part of a large national property management company, excluding the current one which is run by a non-profit community organization.

Apartments in BC are normally not rented by individuals, condos are a lot though, but condos have a price premium so have never rented one before.

When I mean apartment, I mean everything in the building is a rental and owned by 1 company, where a condo each unit is owned differently and managed by a strata, but a lot of times a rental agency is used since the land lords is just an investor and lots of times over sea's so can't deal direct with the tenants.

If basement suites were more reasonable rent wise, I'd rent one and deal with the owner of the house, but their rents are high.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 1:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Only small landlord I had was when I rented a room in Vancouver, she was good, really didn't care what anyone did as long as they paid rent, and didn't trash the place.
That's my attitude. It usually pays off, just a couple of exceptions, including the one who scarpered and trashed January 2013. I'm still paying the price for that one.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 2:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

That's my attitude. It usually pays off, just a couple of exceptions, including the one who scarpered and trashed January 2013. I'm still paying the price for that one.
Yes, unfortunately some people will trash a place no matter what. I always treat my place as my home as if I owned it. I live in the place after all and don't want to live in a trashed place anymore then the landlord wants to deal with a trashed place.

We had one guy evicted in December, and they hauled 4 dumpsters worth of stuff away, and they are still cleaning the place. It was amazing how dirty this guy was, he lived 2 doors down, and it looked like a literal dump. He has mental health issues and was older (60's) and I feel bad for him in the fact he ended up on the streets homeless, but still no excuse to turn your home into a dump.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 1:20 am
Account Closed

Mostly moved in. All the big things and clothes. Just small things left in the old apartment, but we have until Monday to finish up the move and clean the old place and get it ready for the new tenant to move in.

Even though this place is smaller, the floor plan actually works better, and looks nicer, the kitchen in the new place is nicer, way more counter space and cabinets, smaller bathroom though, but its good overall.

Like the other one it does have 2 rooms for bedroom's, but one of the room's has no closet so they call them all 1 bedroom+ den, but it's just a bedroom minus a closet, not sure if there is some legal reason they can't call it a 2 bed room.

This floor plan is longer but more narrow and the old apartment floor plan was short but wide, some reason this floor plan actually looks nicer with our stuff and works better.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 4:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly moved in. All the big things and clothes. Just small things left in the old apartment, but we have until Monday to finish up the move and clean the old place and get it ready for the new tenant to move in.

Even though this place is smaller, the floor plan actually works better, and looks nicer, the kitchen in the new place is nicer, way more counter space and cabinets, smaller bathroom though, but its good overall.

Like the other one it does have 2 rooms for bedroom's, but one of the room's has no closet so they call them all 1 bedroom+ den, but it's just a bedroom minus a closet, not sure if there is some legal reason they can't call it a 2 bed room.

This floor plan is longer but more narrow and the old apartment floor plan was short but wide, some reason this floor plan actually looks nicer with our stuff and works better.
Congratulations and all the best. I hope you will both be very happy in your new home.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 10:54 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

He has mental health issues and was older (60's) and I feel bad for him in the fact he ended up on the streets homeless, but still no excuse to turn your home into a dump.
Depends on the mental health issue. Hoarding is a legitimate issue for example.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck JS.... but don't you mean 60 sq. metres?? 60 sq feet is a room less than 8' x 8'!
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by geedee
Good luck JS.... but don't you mean 60 sq. metres?? 60 sq feet is a room less than 8' x 8'!
No sq feet. The new place lacks a closet in the living room and a small dining room, and slightly smaller bathroom, altogether it probably would be a 8'x8' space.

We never used the dining room, it was more or less wasted space that just collected stuff, so I am glad to be done with it...lol

Here is the most recent pup photo, she is a bit bigger now, this photo was last week.

She weight 5 pounds now, 3 weeks ago she was just under 3 pounds. She is growing quick.

She starts puppy school, well we start puppy school tomorrow.

Photo isn't the best, hard to get her to sit still for one.

Only issue we have really had with her is food, took a few different brands, but we found we she seems to like and is willing to eat without fuss.

Merrick I think it's called.
Attached Thumbnails Moving next week.-gedc1713.jpg  
Old Jan 27th 2015, 8:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

She's lovely!
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 8:11 am
Account Closed

Cant find the more relevant post and this isnt next week.

But we might be moving to Chilliwack. Seeing a couple places that will be available Feb 1 or the landlord is willing to hold the place until then for the right persons.

Rent is the same but they all include heat and hot water which we pay for now, so this will save some money on hydro.

It will would be nice to be in a bigger city again with amenities.

Rents have gone up a fair amount there but eh at least the places have dishwashers and in suite laundry and way nicer then here.

I dont think rent in the 700 under exists anymore for anything decent and pet friendly.

We only have til Dec 31 to find a place or make a decision to give notice and fingers crossed we find one. Dec notice for this unit has to be given. Or a new lease signed.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 8:17 am
Yo

Sounds good. Squamish is claustrophobia central IMO.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Sounds good. Squamish is claustrophobia central IMO.
Yes indeed unless you like the outdoors then your pretty happy here.

My issues are mostly:

There is nothing to do, unless you like what is mentioned above.

Have to go into Vancouver for a large amount of things we need.

Being a married childless couple in our mid 30's and low income, we don't fit into the demographics and because of this, it's hard to mingle with others when well almost all the groups rotate around 2 things, parents with kids and outdoor sports.

There is also no future here for anyone not making 6 figure income, housing is excessive, rents are excessive, rentals are lacking with no plan to boost inventory.

Council can't make decisions so they keep on paying for consultants to help them make decisions.

Council likes to say no to anything that could bring commercial industry and tourism to town.

Oh and the job market sucks, Chilliwack isn't much better, but there are more places to at least apply to. I am more or less out of places in this town...

As you can see I dislike this place they call paradise...
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 2:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Seeing a couple places that will be available Feb 1 or the landlord is willing to hold the place until then for the right persons.....
I'm sure you could collect plenty of references from BEers.

As for holding the place for a full month, I guess that depends on whether the landlord thinks he could get someone for January, taking into account vacancy rates, likelihood of people wanting to move for January etc. Does anyone want to be doing this over xmas/new year?

Find the place that's right for you, maybe some compromise might work. Agree to take it for January but at part/half rent or something.

I've done that on the basis that something is better than nothing.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 5:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Cant find the more relevant post and this isnt next week.

But we might be moving to Chilliwack. Seeing a couple places that will be available Feb 1 or the landlord is willing to hold the place until then for the right persons.

Rent is the same but they all include heat and hot water which we pay for now, so this will save some money on hydro.

It will would be nice to be in a bigger city again with amenities.

Rents have gone up a fair amount there but eh at least the places have dishwashers and in suite laundry and way nicer then here.

I dont think rent in the 700 under exists anymore for anything decent and pet friendly.

We only have til Dec 31 to find a place or make a decision to give notice and fingers crossed we find one. Dec notice for this unit has to be given. Or a new lease signed.
That sounds like a good move! Hope that you are able to find the right place JS, they certainly appear to be a better option than where you are now.

for you!

Old Dec 22nd 2015, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

I'm sure you could collect plenty of references from BEers.

As for holding the place for a full month, I guess that depends on whether the landlord thinks he could get someone for January, taking into account vacancy rates, likelihood of people wanting to move for January etc. Does anyone want to be doing this over xmas/new year?

Find the place that's right for you, maybe some compromise might work. Agree to take it for January but at part/half rent or something.

I've done that on the basis that something is better than nothing.

Hardest part is our time for looking is at the worst time of year. Christmas ans New Years so the rental agencies are not interested in showing or cant accomodate showings on days we can drive the 2 hours to go view.

Unlike a private landlord the agencies dont really seem to care and some downright rude.

We managed to get 1 viewing today. Wanted more but everyone says they can til after the new year but that is too late for us.

We have to have something secured by 1pm on Dec 31 so we can give notice to move.

Housing seems to be in short supply these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.