Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Mass shooting in Texas

Mass shooting in Texas

Old Nov 6th 2017, 4:36 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mass shooting in Texas

Not about guns? yeah right. Perhaps if there were better rules around guns then this kind of thing might not happen, as, well, people might not have guns.

It does irk when you get the morons going on about the 2nd amendment and how you cannot change it, blissfully unaware of what the the "2nd" and "amendment" words actually mean, and that there could be another amendment to change things.

Has the phrase "lone wolf" been mentioned yet? How many times has "thoughts and prayers" been blurted out? (personally speaking, thoughts and prayers don't make any difference to this, and in this particular case, if prayers to a higher power are meant to help, then why didn't that higher power do something to prevent their followers from being killed?)

Yes, it is sad that it has happened, and yes, it could be friends or family of ours whom are affected, but to be quite blunt here, I'm just somewhat, well, "meh", about this kind of thing, as it seems to be a monthly occurrence, and nothing is ever actually done about it, nor do I suspect it will be in the foreseeable future. Oh, of course as soon as anyone I directly know is affected, you can be sure I might speak up, so it's a bit hypocritical of me.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 5:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Not about guns? yeah right. Perhaps if there were better rules around guns then this kind of thing might not happen, as, well, people might not have guns.

It does irk when you get the morons going on about the 2nd amendment and how you cannot change it, blissfully unaware of what the the "2nd" and "amendment" words actually mean, and that there could be another amendment to change things.

Has the phrase "lone wolf" been mentioned yet? How many times has "thoughts and prayers" been blurted out? (personally speaking, thoughts and prayers don't make any difference to this, and in this particular case, if prayers to a higher power are meant to help, then why didn't that higher power do something to prevent their followers from being killed?)

Yes, it is sad that it has happened, and yes, it could be friends or family of ours whom are affected, but to be quite blunt here, I'm just somewhat, well, "meh", about this kind of thing, as it seems to be a monthly occurrence, and nothing is ever actually done about it, nor do I suspect it will be in the foreseeable future. Oh, of course as soon as anyone I directly know is affected, you can be sure I might speak up, so it's a bit hypocritical of me.

I think this is one the downsides of a religious population, that many rationalize the tragedy by thinking the person is going to heaven or that God meant for this to happen. It's that kind of fuzzy thinking which inhibits change. I know what you mean about "meh" as much as it is a tragedy for each and every family, but what can be done when so many refuse to listen to the reason on gun control. Given that it's Texas, there must have been a fair few members of the congregation that had been expounding gun rights in relation to the recent Las Vegas killing. It's sad that the US can't get beyond their 2A obsession.

At the bottom of this BBC newspage there is a short BBC video which has a graph of all the mass shootings (3 or more fatalities) since the 1980's; the trend is getting much worse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41892838

Last edited by Shard; Nov 6th 2017 at 5:45 pm. Reason: Add webpage link
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:00 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
But it's not a gun situation. The President himself said so.

https://yt3.ggpht.com/-GYdA4-QCpek/A...ffff/photo.jpg
Do you blame spelling mistakes on a pencil or the person using it?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:38 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, in so many ways, this is a sterile discussion and argument. Pandorra is well and truly out of the box and rapidly arming herself in case anyone tries to put her back in. What the US should be attempting is to make an effort not to make things worse. The wholesale dissemination of rapid firing assault weapons which all agree must be acquired by everyone because other people have them is an example of what they should not be doing.

"But", I hear you say, "we all know what they should not be doing, what can be done now, in today's USA?"

Well, I'm afraid there's little will in the US to do anything and the shock factor of senseless killings and the many windows of opportunity they created have passed by long ago. I don't believe that the US has the common sense to look inward and purge itself of the insanity that grips it. It's as though, where guns are concerned, the entire US has lost whatever sanity it once had and is becoming populated by a race of lemmings.

nb: Appologies to lemmings.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
An odd analogy, but that would be the person. How about this one...

Remove restrictions on selling alcohol so that anyone, any age, any sobriety can buy in any store. Would the resulting (likely) increase in traffic fatalities be due to the alcohol availability or the person consuming it?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
An odd analogy, but that would be the person. How about this one...

Remove restrictions on selling alcohol so that anyone, any age, any sobriety can buy in any store. Would the resulting (likely) increase in traffic fatalities be due to the alcohol availability or the person consuming it?
Take pencils away and have everyone use word processors with spell checkers. You will drastically reduce the number of spelling mistakes.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

This has to be the most infuriating argument used by Republicans all the time.

Of course the person is wielding the gun, but without it they would not be able to so easily inflict fatal and severe violence to so many people at once.

Isn't it obvious?

It's like living in an alternate universe with people whom use this logic.

But America has really upped its game - doing away with laws which would have prohibited people with mental illnesses to own guns, ot putting in checks and balances etc. They were considering laws to allow silencers to be easily purchased but "put it on hold" after the Las Vegas massacre.

Last edited by jerryhung; Nov 6th 2017 at 9:36 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerryhung

Of course the person is wielding the gun, but without it they would not be able to so easily inflict fatal and severe violence to so many people at once.

Isn't it obvious?

It's like living in an alternate universe with people whom use this logic.

But america has really upped its game - doing away with laws which would have prohibited people with mental illnesses to own guns, putting in checks and balances etc.
Another example is if a kid scribbles on a wall do you take the crayons away or just blame the child? Personally I would take the crayons away to stop it happening again.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Society.
If you can't write or draw properly you shouldn't be allowed to buy a pencil let alone go about armed with one.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Remove restrictions on selling alcohol so that anyone, any age, any sobriety can buy in any store...
At least after drinking nobody would be able to shoot straight.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Society.
If you can't write or draw properly you shouldn't be allowed to buy a pencil let alone go about armed with one.
Man 'killed cellmate with pencil' | World | News | Express.co.uk
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Yup that's where I heard it.

Also you can correct a spelling mistake and it hardly does much harm.

A gun is designed to kill and maim at speed. The only reason you'd wish to own one is because that is your intention someday.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yup that's where I heard it.

Also you can correct a spelling mistake and it hardly does much harm.

A gun is designed to kill and maim at speed. The only reason you'd wish to own one is because that is your intention someday.
I own a number of weapons. I believe Dbd33 does too.

Are you seriously suggesting that the only reason we do is because we wish to kill something some day?

I can't speak for Dbd33 but I own a shotgun for the sole purpose of shooting clays pigeons.

In the UK, did Malcolm Cooper own his weapon because he wanted to kill something, or because he liked shooting at paper targets?
Old Nov 7th 2017, 2:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Are you seriously suggesting that the only reason we do is because we wish to kill something some day?

I can't speak for Dbd33 but I own a shotgun for the sole purpose of shooting clays pigeons.

In the UK, did Malcolm Cooper own his weapon because he wanted to kill something, or because he liked shooting at paper targets?
I have no intent to maim but, yes, the intent of the guns is to be able to kill. Animals, not people. I hope never to have to use a gun for the purpose in mind at the time of first purchasing one, dispatching a seriously injured horse, but I have killed some pests.

I don't expect to shoot any people in any circumstance.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

VR guns have got a lot better in the last few years. Plus you do not have to use real ammunition. A lot even have pneumatic feedback to simulate the "kick". So that is becoming less of a reason to own a real gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.