British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Lunchtime Choices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/lunchtime-choices-683559/)

Oink Aug 31st 2010 8:16 pm

Lunchtime Choices

I'm having Thai food, something called gai pad bai grapau (chicken, chilies, onion and mushrooms) with extra chilies and onions which it also comes with a pancake roll, soup, salad and rice for $7.50. It better come soon I'm staving.

What's everyone else having or had for lunch today?

mandymoochops Aug 31st 2010 8:25 pm

Re: Lunchtime Choices

I had cheese whizz on toast and a chocolate mousse.

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 31st 2010 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8816926)
I'm having Thai food, something called gai pad bai grapau (chicken, chilies, onion and mushrooms) with extra chilies and onions which it also comes with a pancake roll, soup, salad and rice for $7.50. It better come soon I'm staving.

If I told you, you might not be so thrilled with your chillies and mushrooms.

fledermaus Aug 31st 2010 8:36 pm

I met someone from work for breakie so no lunch. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and homefries - good homefries with none of the yuck seasoning.

iaink Aug 31st 2010 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8816972)
I met someone from work for breakie so no lunch. Breakfast was scrambled eggs and homefries - good homefries with none of the yuck seasoning.

For some reason this reminds me to mention that Doohans bakery there is now offering Gluten free stuff...you probably knew that already.

Sorry, thread drift. Boring ham sarnies for me today.

fledermaus Aug 31st 2010 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8816995)
For some reason this reminds me to mention that Doohans bakery there is now offering Gluten free stuff...you probably knew that already.

Sorry, thread drift. Boring ham sarnies for me today.

No I didn't know this important info- many, many thanks for passing it on. When did you find out? When were you there and where was my invite??

Alan2005 Aug 31st 2010 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8816926)

gai = chicken, pad = fried, bai grapau = thai basil

(just showing off)

Was it any good?

CanadaJimmy Aug 31st 2010 9:06 pm

I had Butter and Herb flavor instant mash, very filling. I usually have quick and easy stuff like that at work since there's only a kettle and microwave. If I'm at home it'll be either a couple of Egg Mayo sandwiches or Beans on Toast usually :) Maybe a salad if I feel like being healthy.

iaink Aug 31st 2010 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8817008)
No I didn't know this important info- many, many thanks for passing it on. When did you find out? When were you there and where was my invite??

Sadly I was just passing by, but there was a sign outside. I thought of you, then promptly forgot:o

Finest donuts and pastries in the world, but I doubt its all gluten free. Might be worth a call though to find out.

Piff Poff Aug 31st 2010 9:25 pm

I had a toasted salami and guacamole salad sandwich and no it didn't really go together but I ate it anyway.

Oakvillian Aug 31st 2010 9:27 pm

I usually have some of whatever was left over from supper last night, with a nice bit of salad (we're still cropping huge numbers of cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes from the garden; the spinach has made a bid for freedom so no nice baby salad leaves...) and some fruit. There was nothing appetising left in the fridge this morning, however, so I had a large sandwich from subway. I can't remember exactly which of the mind-boggling variety of choices I made, but it had some meat, some cheese and all the optional bits & pieces in it. Oh, and a bag of crisps. And a coke. There's no point buying lunch if it's going to be all healthy...

fledermaus Aug 31st 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8817076)
Sadly I was just passing by, but there was a sign outside. I thought of you, then promptly forgot:o

Finest donuts and pastries in the world, but I doubt its all gluten free. Might be worth a call though to find out.

I'll be in there tomorrow.

PS I'm told that Glover's pies are even better than Dooher's.

Oink Aug 31st 2010 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8817025)
gai = chicken, pad = fried, bai grapau = thai basil

(just showing off)

Was it any good?

Come to think of it, it did have basil in it. It was very tasty, although their idea of a spicy or hotness rating system needs recalibrating as I had 3 chilies next to mine and it wasn't very hot at all. I don't like to complain as I did this at an Indian place last year and the next time I went in I think the chef took it as a challenge and the food nearly blew my head off. :eek:

Flogger Aug 31st 2010 10:31 pm

Ham sandwich and a banana :(

Atlantic Xpat Sep 1st 2010 12:28 am

Packet of crisps, some cantelope and a slice of celebratory leaving cake. It was a busy morning/lunchtime/early afternoon.