London shooting

Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London shooting

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5

Also, apparently my Irish friend's mother thought I was to blame, at least in part, for the 'black and tans', whoever they were/are.

One of those priorities must surely be freedom of speech, for the protesters (not including violence, obviously), for the cartoonists (even when it is done deliberately to provoke, as in the Charlie Hebdo case) and for ordinary individuals from whatever group who should not have imposed upon them the need to apologise for things that have nothing to do with them.
Im not asking for apologies, I dont know where tha came from. All im saying is that the outside world would like to see some priorites. Making speeches stating death to non Muslims is more alarming that a stupid cartoon, and im sure there are logical Muslims out there that would agree with that.

Thats the problem with many religions, its secular and self righteous and if you dont agree with it you are wrong.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

@ Post #75

Likely a lot of folks are OK with 'Christian terrorism'? LMGTFY

Or that shooting, bombing & murdering folks of a different race & creed is in the name of justice to eradicate non-christian terrorism
Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
@ Post #75

Likely a lot of folks are OK with 'Christian terrorism'? LMGTFY

Or that shooting, bombing & murdering folks of a different race & creed is in the name of justice to eradicate non-christian terrorism

I see no difference at all between ISIS and the IRA. Both cold blooded murderous organisations, all in the name of "religion"
Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:10 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

Thats the problem with many religions, its secular and self righteous and if you dont agree with it you are wrong.
picture a Sunday Catholic church service in Ireland, most of the congregation are IRA supporters.

'Bless me Father' as they leave the church, down a few pints at the local, then start their rampage. Repeat, back to church with confession 'forgive me Father for I have killed'

What's the difference, all in the name of God...

I am the LORD thy God.
No other gods before me.
No graven images or likenesses.
Not take the LORD's name in vain.
Remember the sabbath day.
Honour thy father and thy mother.
Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.

No real difference in the Christian beliefs to the 'Pillars of Islam' or the 'Jewish principles of faith'
Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I see no difference at all between ISIS and the IRA. Both cold blooded murderous organisations, all in the name of "religion"
that & what the US is doing in the Middle East or anywhere else.

Blaming the US for acts of war is the way it is & maybe that is why terrorism is as 'out there' as much as it is [media driven].

Of course you'd never want to believe or expect the UK government to be involved in acts of 'Religious terrorism', or would the Germans, French, Danes, Israelis ....

Pointing blame or all in name of a God, do the Palestinians need a break?

What about those Russians eh!

Last edited by not2old; Mar 29th 2017 at 5:21 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:26 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

On edit, my wife blames me personally for the potato famine. I thought that was a joke but maybe it isn't!
I'd always wondered who was responsible for that.

No smoke with out fire.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by JamesM

No smoke with out fire.
I say 'blame the 'left footers'
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No smoke with out fire.
I suppose it would help if I toned down the shouts of "get off the land" each time I get on my horse.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I see no difference at all between ISIS and the IRA.
One with a very specific cause confined to a single area and targeting a single enemy with bombs and guns, generally preferring military targets and the other taking on many different names, in many different areas of the world, thinking up many different ways to kill and making 'glamorous' videos of the killings and indiscriminately killing practically anyone, not caring who, including themselves.

Could they be more different?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
One with a very specific cause confined to a single area and targeting a single enemy with bombs and guns, generally preferring military targets and the other taking on many different names, in many different areas of the world, thinking up many different ways to kill and making 'glamorous' videos of the killings and indiscriminately killing practically anyone, not caring who, including themselves.

Furthermore, the IRA was/is a hierarchical organization with an objective whereas ISIS is not an organization at all, it's a number of unconnected individuals and groups all intent only on destruction; an array of bearded Steve Bannons. A military defeat of the IRA is conceivable.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Yes the comparisons you have made are true if you analyse it more deeply.

The top and bottom of it is both "organisations" are a fanatical bunch of people who have been brainwashed to hate since birth, and are driven by religion, their goal is to murder innocent people to promote their "cause" and both do it in a very cowardly way, they are an utter disgrace to the human race.

If the last few years are anything to go by, it seems one of these organisations can be "reasoned with" (although I always thought the rule of governments was non negotiation with terrorists).

As for the other; reasoning will never be an option.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The top and bottom of it is both "organisations" are a fanatical bunch of people who have been brainwashed to hate since birth, and are driven by religion, their goal is to murder innocent people to promote their "cause" and both do it in a very cowardly way, they are an utter disgrace to the human race.
I don't think it's true of the IRA that they were driven by religion, neither is it true that their goal was to murder innocent people. I don't think people acting for ISIS are cowardly.

I think the objective of the IRA is the reunification of Ireland, a country divided politically along historically religious lines; their motivation being to throw off the yoke of the oppressor even when, as in the case of Tony Blair, the oppressor shared their nominal religion. It seems to me that the IRA is a politically motivated terrorist force of which almost all members are of one religion. I think they are indifferent to the fate of innocent people but are not particular interested in killing people at random; only in killing those whose deaths are perceived to further their cause. They are a conventional separatist guerilla force.

ISIS, by contrast, have a theological motivation, they want to bomb us, and themselves, back into the Stone Age for religious reasons. They're not cowardly in a conventional sense, they won't shirk their perceived duty for fear of risk to themselves. In that regard they're like kamikaze pilots. They are interesting in killing lots of people we might consider innocent; apostate Muslims, non-Muslims, most of the world's population.

I don't know about IRA members but people acting for ISIS aren't typically brainwashed since birth. They're disaffected youths from the west who found ISIS instead of football violence or meth addiction. ISIS has a constant need for recruits in a way that the IRA does not; a bomb maker can keep creating bombs until a mistake is made or a betrayal, a bomb carrier only gets one go.

Different problem, innit?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

ISIS is an extremely well run and sophisticated entity from their ground operations through to their web and recruitment strategies.

I remember reading that the old Republican Guard from Sadam's Army (all trained at Sandhurst) mastermind large parts of the operation.

When people start branding the one billion plus muslims with the same brush for remote incidents it plays directly into their hands. The prime motivations of ISIS are to be recognised as a state and also to create a war between Islam and the rest of the world.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 12:00 am
Dichotomus tinker

ISIS is an extremely well run and sophisticated entity from their ground operations through to their web and recruitment strategies.

When people start branding the one billion plus muslims with the same brush for remote incidents it plays directly into their hands.

The prime motivations of ISIS are to be recognised as a state and also to create a war between Islam and the rest of the world.
just by those numbers alone, the brotherhood [if so motivated] could move in on the 8 million peeps in that strip of land [state] between Lebanon & Egypt to settle ISIS there to call it their home
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think it's true of the IRA that they were driven by religion, neither is it true that their goal was to murder innocent people. I don't think people acting for ISIS are cowardly.

I think the objective of the IRA is the reunification of Ireland, a country divided politically along historically religious lines; their motivation being to throw off the yoke of the oppressor even when, as in the case of Tony Blair, the oppressor shared their nominal religion. It seems to me that the IRA is a politically motivated terrorist force of which almost all members are of one religion. I think they are indifferent to the fate of innocent people but are not particular interested in killing people at random; only in killing those whose deaths are perceived to further their cause. They are a conventional separatist guerilla force.

ISIS, by contrast, have a theological motivation, they want to bomb us, and themselves, back into the Stone Age for religious reasons. They're not cowardly in a conventional sense, they won't shirk their perceived duty for fear of risk to themselves. In that regard they're like kamikaze pilots. They are interesting in killing lots of people we might consider innocent; apostate Muslims, non-Muslims, most of the world's population.

I don't know about IRA members but people acting for ISIS aren't typically brainwashed since birth. They're disaffected youths from the west who found ISIS instead of football violence or meth addiction. ISIS has a constant need for recruits in a way that the IRA does not; a bomb maker can keep creating bombs until a mistake is made or a betrayal, a bomb carrier only gets one go.

Different problem, innit?

Yes your right, it is and in that respect they are different people in an evolutionary sense....its hard to believe that these battle torn countries are on the same planet as the western world, there is no reasoning and never will be.

So yes it does make it a different problem. I suppose i was just throwing out a blanket statement because I dont understand these people, both groups harbour so much hate, Its hard to comprehend. I will never understand. I dont think i should even try anymore.