Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Living in the uk buying a car in nova scotia

Living in the uk buying a car in nova scotia

Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Kipo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in the uk buying a car in nova scotia

Hi I am thinking of buying a car in Nova Scotia I am currently spending a month a year there until we emigrate , has any body done this what was the rough cost to ensure and are there any issues I need to know about doing it thanls
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:10 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the uk buying a car in nova scotia

Please confirm that you want to buy, insure and store a car that will be unused for 11 months of the year?
If yes, you are nuts. Just rent.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:12 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kipo
Hi I am thinking of buying a car in Nova Scotia I am currently spending a month a year there until we emigrate , has any body done this what was the rough cost to ensure and are there any issues I need to know about doing it thanls
Before we came to BC I bought mys SIL's old car. We visited a few times a year for about 6-8 weeks a time. First day on arrival I'd insure the car, get new plates and the last day would cancel the insurance, arrange a refund and surrender the plates. Cheaper than hiring and put me in the system even though insurance in BC is high.

Don't know the NS costings, suggest you contact an insurance company.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Before we came to BC I bought mys SIL's old car. We visited a few times a year for about 6-8 weeks a time. First day on arrival I'd insure the car, get new plates and the last day would cancel the insurance, arrange a refund and surrender the plates. Cheaper than hiring and put me in the system even though insurance in BC is high.

Don't know the NS costings, suggest you contact an insurance company.
Insurance in NS is cheap compared to the rest of the country but still expensive compared to the U.K.
I suppose the op could register the car and then just reduce the insurance to the bare minimum for the 11 months but it still makes more sense to rent.