Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The little improvements thread...

The little improvements thread...

Old Feb 24th 2018, 7:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default The little improvements thread...

Noticed any? I nominate bank transfers on your smartphone. So easy and instant crediting at the recipient's account. Wasn't always that way.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 10:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The little improvements thread...

Being able to file tax returns electronically (Netfile) from a few years ago and now there's some sort of option to download the information the tax office already has onto your return.
(But don't ask why they want you to tell them information they already know, because they just told you about it, that's not the done thing )

Paying a cheque into your account over the phone. But my one cheque a year is not worth buying a smartphone for.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 8:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Not having to have a physical ticket (one less thing to lose) when you're traveling by plane. Just show up at the airport with your passport and credit card and the machines know who you are. Extend that to boarding cards, and then you're really flyin.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 8:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Noticed any? I nominate bank transfers on your smartphone. So easy and instant crediting at the recipient's account. Wasn't always that way.
Not sure if we have that in Canada...

My bank doesn't anyhow, only option I have if the recipient isn't a customer of the same bank is a email transfer, but it's not instant and requires a bit of effort to both send and receive.

If the recipient is a customer and provides their account #, then it's an instant transfer option.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:22 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not sure if we have that in Canada...

My bank doesn't anyhow, only option I have if the recipient isn't a customer of the same bank is a email transfer, but it's not instant and requires a bit of effort to both send and receive.

If the recipient is a customer and provides their account #, then it's an instant transfer option.
I did a bank transfer on TD and it was pretty easy. It was on the web, but if I recall it was just putting an email address in and the amount and send.

I think there's some cell phone payment system too (phone to phone) but I've never tried those. I guess in another 5 years it's going to become even easier, like just speak into your phone pay John Smith $10 and it will be done.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:29 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Not having to have a physical ticket (one less thing to lose) when you're traveling by plane. Just show up at the airport with your passport and credit card and the machines know who you are. Extend that to boarding cards, and then you're really flyin.
I get my boarding cards on my phone.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:59 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I have used that once or twice, but it doesn't seem universal yet. Some airports are still requiring the paper version.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Which is all well and dandy until you turn up at the airport and then realize that your phone is dead and you forgot the charger and nobody around has one that fits your phone and your flight leaves in 45 minutes
Old Feb 25th 2018, 10:28 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Which is all well and dandy until you turn up at the airport and then realize that your phone is dead and you forgot the charger and nobody around has one that fits your phone and your flight leaves in 45 minutes
Tis true.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 11:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Pfft

Why bother with a plane. So passé.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Just have to stop by the self serve kiosk most airlines in North America have now and print a paper version....

I always print a boarding pass, easier I find.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

I did a bank transfer on TD and it was pretty easy. It was on the web, but if I recall it was just putting an email address in and the amount and send.

I think there's some cell phone payment system too (phone to phone) but I've never tried those. I guess in another 5 years it's going to become even easier, like just speak into your phone pay John Smith $10 and it will be done.
It's not difficult, just not instant. Can take a couple hours for the email to reach the recipient depending on the originating bank, some are faster then others.

I don't use email transfers much, they cost $1.00 and add up over a month.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:08 pm
Yo

It's not difficult, just not instant. Can take a couple hours for the email to reach the recipient depending on the originating bank, some are faster then others.

I don't use email transfers much, they cost $1.00 and add up over a month.
Ok. Needs to be instant and free !
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

Ok. Needs to be instant and free !
I needed to transfer rent over from Vancity to Tangerine, I put in the email transfer an hour ago almost, still no email. Vancity can take anywhere from 30 mins to several hours to send the email.

Once the email is received, the transfer of the money is near instant, but to get the email can be time consuming.

Tangerine on the other hand, sends the email out within 5-10 mins on average.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just have to stop by the self serve kiosk most airlines in North America have now and print a paper version....

I always print a boarding pass, easier I find.
Don't you need your unique code from the booking confirmation to punch into the kiosk to do that and if thats on your phone then how do you print it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.