Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Like you never heard it before...maybe

Like you never heard it before...maybe

Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Like you never heard it before...maybe

One of our local bands who have made it big
-

Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Oakvillian;12342961]The Lloyd Webbers' collaboration is something of a guilty pleasure of mine, too. But Andrew L-W is by no means the only composer to have played with the same piece - Paganini's theme has been used by a great many composers as the basis for a set of variations, some of them justifiably much better known than the Lloyd Webber version. The two most famous are probably the piano variations by Brahms

and the Rhapsody for piano and orchestra by Rachmaninoff... there's a quite interesting piece on that from the 2013 BBC Proms series here

Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini by Rachmaninoff is a truly beautiful piece of music, a real "love" theme, but until that pianist explained it, I never realised it was actually a variation of Caprice 24?, that Rachmaninoff had used, what he did with it was very clever. Similar to what Lloyd Webber did. thanks for that clip, it was very informative.

I definitely get my musical appreciation from my mom, she loved classical music and knew what piece was from what composer, she was a classical singer in her day. I don't carry anywhere near the same knowledge that she had for classical music, but she was appreciative of all sorts of music from Tchaikovsky to the Beatles to a lot of the electronic bands of the 80s, to her a musical instrument was just a tool....(even though there are many great and gifted pianists, guitarists, cellists, singers etc out there) it was the composition and production of the music that was the important, and I think this thread proves that.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Sep 21st 2017 at 6:00 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness gracious/OMG

Silver Machine/Children of the Revolution/School's Out