Liberal 2016 Budget

Old Mar 23rd 2016, 12:15 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Liberal 2016 Budget

highlights of Bill Morneau's first budget:

Deficit: $29.4 billion this year, $29 billion the next before falling - but no surplus forecast before the next election.

Debt: Expected to grow by $113 billion by 2020-21, but debt-to-GDP ratio to stay mostly flat at around 32 per cent.

Growth: Deficit based on 0.4% annual growth - much lower than economists predict.

Canada Child Benefit: New monthly tax-free payments starts July 1 to replace UCCB and other tax measures: up to $6,400 a year per child under 6, and $5,400 those aged 6 to 18. But this amount begins to claw back for households with an income over $30,000 and is eliminated entirely for incomes over $190,000.

Tax credits: Children's arts and fitness tax credits phased out by end of 2017. But teachers get a $150 credit for teaching materials.
EI: Changes make it easier to qualify for benefits, and extends benefits for workers in 12 hard-hit regions. Plus: a bigger-than-expected cut in EI premiums next January.

Infrastructure: $120 billion over 10 years, focusing first on public transit, water, waste management and housing infrastructure.
Indigenous Peoples: $8.4 billion over five years, with $2.6 of that to improve primary and secondary education on reserves. Other funding for drinking water and housing, as well as family and child services.
Student grants: Increased 50%, to $3,000 for low-income and $1,200 for middle-income students.

Arts: $1.9 billion over five years for arts and culture organizations, including the Canada Council, Telefilm Canada and the National Arts Centre. $675 million to "modernize and revitalize CBC/Radio-Canada in the digital era."
Seniors: Guaranteed Income Supplement increased by up to $947 annually.
Veterans: Reopens nine service offices, increases amounts payable to injured veterans and indexes some benefits to inflation.

And Child fitness benefits scrapped !!
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liberal 2016 Budget

Doesnt look any direct benefit or loss of anything for us.

Its those provincial budgets we gotta worry abouts....
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the post, good information.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
highlights of Bill Morneau's first budget:

Deficit: $29.4 billion this year, $29 billion the next before falling - but no surplus forecast before the next election.

Debt: Expected to grow by $113 billion by 2020-21, but debt-to-GDP ratio to stay mostly flat at around 32 per cent.

Growth: Deficit based on 0.4% annual growth - much lower than economists predict.

Canada Child Benefit: New monthly tax-free payments starts July 1 to replace UCCB and other tax measures: up to $6,400 a year per child under 6, and $5,400 those aged 6 to 18. But this amount begins to claw back for households with an income over $30,000 and is eliminated entirely for incomes over $190,000.

Tax credits: Children's arts and fitness tax credits phased out by end of 2017. But teachers get a $150 credit for teaching materials.
EI: Changes make it easier to qualify for benefits, and extends benefits for workers in 12 hard-hit regions. Plus: a bigger-than-expected cut in EI premiums next January.

Infrastructure: $120 billion over 10 years, focusing first on public transit, water, waste management and housing infrastructure.
Indigenous Peoples: $8.4 billion over five years, with $2.6 of that to improve primary and secondary education on reserves. Other funding for drinking water and housing, as well as family and child services.
Student grants: Increased 50%, to $3,000 for low-income and $1,200 for middle-income students.

Arts: $1.9 billion over five years for arts and culture organizations, including the Canada Council, Telefilm Canada and the National Arts Centre. $675 million to "modernize and revitalize CBC/Radio-Canada in the digital era."
Seniors: Guaranteed Income Supplement increased by up to $947 annually.
Veterans: Reopens nine service offices, increases amounts payable to injured veterans and indexes some benefits to inflation.

And Child fitness benefits scrapped !!
This article sums it up pretty well

Reevely: Trudeau takes Ontario Liberalism national | Ottawa Citizen

and this quote from the article is rather telling:

In short, there is no problem this government sees for which its solution is not more government, which is the “activist centrism” of the Ontario government under the past 13 years of Liberalism in a nutshell.

To be honest, I haven't followed the inner workings of this budget closely but I wasn't aware of the child fitness benefits being scrapped. That won't be popular with their voter base although in the grand scheme of things it wasn't a deal clincher for most people to enroll their kids in a sport. It would have been a good idea to extend that to adults. In my day to day life I see so many people who could do with a bit of a tuneup fitness wise.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 3:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

To be honest, I haven't followed the inner workings of this budget closely but I wasn't aware of the child fitness benefits being scrapped. That won't be popular with their voter base although in the grand scheme of things it wasn't a deal clincher for most people to enroll their kids in a sport. It would have been a good idea to extend that to adults. In my day to day life I see so many people who could do with a bit of a tuneup fitness wise.
The child tax credit (it wasn't a benefit) was one of those stupid "boutique" tax credits the Tories were so fond of. It was complicated and not worth anywhere near the time and effort needed to administer it. It benefited the better off most. Scrapping all the old benefits and credits in exchange for one simplified, means tested, benefit makes sound sense to me. It is cheaper for the government to administer, it makes it easier for the public to comply with their tax obligations and puts public money into the hands of everyone except the small percentage of families that do not need it.

Simplifying the tax and benefit system is a laudable public policy objective.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I cant get past the proposed $30 billion deficit.....during these uncertain times, I find that pretty depressing news. Its a huge gamble.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I cant get past the proposed $30 billion deficit.....during these uncertain times, I find that pretty depressing news. Its a huge gamble.
Don't worry, "It's the Haircut, Stupid"
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Yes, because austerity works.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Don't worry, "It's the Haircut, Stupid"
Of course!!! How could I forget that secret weapon! Doomed I say! were all Doomed!!