Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Leaving address off resume

Leaving address off resume

Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leaving address off resume

What do people think about leaving address of resume?

Seems companies think Chilliwack is in the middle of nowhere, and based on some feedback from a couple of companies, it's a possibility companies are iffy on people who have to commute, and kind of thinking its a possibility having address on resume might keep companies from even calling.

I have had to move on to nearby city's 30-40 mins away as I have largely run out of places to apply locally and there are more jobs advertised in the larger city's to the west.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving address off resume

I would imagine if selected for interview, they'd ask on contact or maybe even discard the application in favour of others with a known and 'approved' travel distance.

Not having a contact address at all might suggest the applicant was 'unsettled' in some way.

Maybe just a street and postcode so it's less obvious?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:51 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I would imagine if selected for interview, they'd ask on contact or maybe even discard the application in favour of others with a known and 'approved' travel distance.

Not having a contact address at all might suggest the applicant was 'unsettled' in some way.

That last bit doesn't make sense. A postcode makes it very clear where you live.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly.

We are unsettled a bit and I am sure the being unsettled a bit hurts me as well. It's obvious when looking on the resume, I have moved a lot over the years.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 12th 2017 at 7:00 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
That last bit doesn't make sense. A postcode makes it very clear where you live.
Well you could probably look it up. If you have the time and inclination. How many people can look at a postcode and know exactly where it is and that it's not shared?

Does everywhere have it's own identifier and it is always a particular area and no two places ever share it?

My postcode back in England was BS3. I lived in Totterdown part of which was also BS4 and BS4 was also a place called Brislington, as well as Knowle. BS3 was also Bedminster, which was different again.

Knowle has a certain reputation. But if you decided you didn't want to employ someone from Knowle so you disregarded applicants from BS4, then you'd be ruling out the applicants from Brislington that doesn't have the same rep. Is it not similar in Canada?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:51 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Well you could probably look it up. If you have the time and inclination. How many people can look at a postcode and know exactly where it is and that it's not shared?

Does everywhere have it's own identifier and it is always a particular area and no two places ever share it?

My postcode back in England was BS3. I lived in Totterdown part of which was also BS4 and BS4 was also a place called Brislington, as well as Knowle. BS3 was also Bedminster, which was different again.

Knowle has a certain reputation. But if you decided you didn't want to employ someone from Knowle so you disregarded applicants from BS4, then you'd be ruling out the applicants from Brislington that doesn't have the same rep. Is it not similar in Canada?
Stick a postcode xyz abc into Google maps or MapQuest and it will nail you to within a couple of houses if you live in an urban area.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

Postal codes in Canada can pin point down to the street of where one is.

Type in your postal code into google maps.

(Looks like Souvy and myself were typing replies at basically the same time.)
Attached Thumbnails Leaving address off resume-postal-code.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

JS put yourself in the other position as the HR guy that you receive a CV with no address.... what would you do?

If it was me as the HR person & there wasn't an address on the CV, I would toss it in the trash, after all 'what is this person hiding or likely to hide in the future?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:03 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe just get a po box from Canada mail, use your mailing address on your resume?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Postal codes in Canada can pin point down to the street of where one is.
Yes, as indeed they can in Bristol and no doubt other parts of the UK.

But do you have the time and inclination to do that if the three hundred resumes you receive only show a postcode?

If you see V2P 8A4, do you instinctively know the 8A4 without looking it up or do you just have some general idea where V2P is?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:19 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't tend to take someone's location into account (unless they're out of Province) when reviewing resumes, I assume that they have considered the commute and are willing to do it. I may ask them if they have considered the commute time when I interview, but only if it's a role that has a really early start time.

If the role you're applying to asks for a cover letter, you can always use that to mention you're aware of the commute and are OK with it? Failing that, you can leave off your address and just have your contact phone number and email address on the resume, the area code will be sufficient to show you're in the Lower Mainland without giving away your exact location.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I don't tend to take someone's location into account (unless they're out of Province) when reviewing resumes, I assume that they have considered the commute and are willing to do it. I may ask them if they have considered the commute time when I interview, but only if it's a role that has a really early start time.

If the role you're applying to asks for a cover letter, you can always use that to mention you're aware of the commute and are OK with it? Failing that, you can leave off your address and just have your contact phone number and email address on the resume, the area code will be sufficient to show you're in the Lower Mainland without giving away your exact location.
+1 (JS, Tigger's a recruiter)

I've never put my address on a resume, just my phone number and email address.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:21 pm
Slob

Yes, as indeed they can in Bristol and no doubt other parts of the UK.

But do you have the time and inclination to do that if the three hundred resumes you receive only show a postcode?

If you see V2P 8A4, do you instinctively know the 8A4 without looking it up or do you just have some general idea where V2P is?
Took seconds to place it next to Chilliwack airport.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:24 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Souvy
Took seconds to place it next to Chilliwack airport.
Now multiply that up for all the resumes you got with a postcode only. It's a bit different then.

Near the airport. I thought I picked the postcode on the city/town hall website
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I might be somewhat responsible for JS posting this question.

I'm no longer in a position where I "vet" job applications. When I was, I think no address on a CV would have jumped out at me.

An address outside the immediate area, would not necessarily have thrown up a red flag.

ETA: I was typing as Siouxsie & Tigger posted. Read their posts, not mine .

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 12th 2017 at 8:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.