Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The kindness of strangers

The kindness of strangers

Old Nov 9th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The kindness of strangers

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How do you know that if you don't have the accounts?

But I'm with you in spirit. I do have a Facebook account but it's only used to contact family. I seem to have opened a LinkedIn account in some forgotten past, but I just delete notifications automatically.

Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat I have heard mentioned but never accessed.
I read online on various websites about people well known or otherwise and the battles that they get into with one another that end up with people throwing their toys out of the pram usually via Twitter or Facebook and to me it seems like a waste of time all in the space of 140 characters (now 280 I hear). Hey if the Donald uses it that is usually a ringing endorsement for me not to.

Occasionally people send me links on twitter of things that they think I would be interested in or would find funny and I usually go to the link and then look at the other stuff on the twitter feed and find it be not worth my time.
Old May 7th 2018, 8:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Borrowed from another thread. Halifax
Originally Posted by crofty82
I promise not to comment on every aspect of our holiday on here, but we’ve just had one of those surreal and lovely moments just after landing. Flight from Gatwick was delayed slightly so we were on the last minute for the bus downtown and forgot to get the exact change.

Driver is unable to give change so the fabulous lady in the queue behind us paid our fare! Wouldn’t take my money afterwards either. Welcome to Canada!
Old May 7th 2018, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Similarly to DBD, I got into the online community around 1999 on the Lonely Planet website. They used to have a great bulletin board online called the thorntree, as well as destination specific branches there were a few chat branches which primarily keep the real travel branches 'clean' of chatter. Once they added a PM facility a huge community formed.
Thank you for reminding me of the actual Thorntree cafe, in the intervening 30 years I had completely forgotten it.
Old May 8th 2018, 1:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I have been the very fortunate recipient of the kindness of strangers - or, should I say 'virtual acquaintances and friends?

I am overwhelmed with the generosity that has been extended to me.. truly, completely overwhelmed by the outpouring of love. In this day and age - for people who haven't met me to reach out and make sure that I don't have to worry about money for a month, just bought tears to my eyes and a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

How can I ever say thank you to all those / you wonderful people... please know that I appreciate your kindness, thoughtfulness and generosity and wish I could thank each and every one of you in person.

Much love to you all... thank you so very much ... xxx to me, you are all family - my BE family xxx

Last edited by Siouxie; May 8th 2018 at 1:26 am.
Old May 8th 2018, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I have been the very fortunate recipient of the kindness of strangers - or, should I say 'virtual acquaintances and friends?

I am overwhelmed with the generosity that has been extended to me.. truly, completely overwhelmed by the outpouring of love. In this day and age - for people who haven't met me to reach out and make sure that I don't have to worry about money for a month, just bought tears to my eyes and a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

How can I ever say thank you to all those / you wonderful people... please know that I appreciate your kindness, thoughtfulness and generosity and wish I could thank each and every one of you in person.

Much love to you all... thank you so very much ... xxx to me, you are all family - my BE family xxx

Much love back at you, Siouxie. Taking care of yourself and sticking around here (without tiring yourself), just being you, is the only thanks BE’ers need or want, IMO.
Old May 8th 2018, 1:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please do not change your name to Blanche
Old May 8th 2018, 9:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You deserve it Siouxie I hope your blood pressure's behaving itself and you're taking it as easy as you can xxx
Old May 26th 2018, 4:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This is a nice read. Gets you right here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f8c311ffefe6

This one too

Last edited by BristolUK; May 26th 2018 at 4:10 pm.
Old May 26th 2018, 10:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The WaPo is a paysite now, I'll take your word for the intent.
Old May 26th 2018, 10:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
The WaPo is a paysite now, I'll take your word for the intent.
Is it? I signed up for emails some time ago and get links to news stories. I don't look that much so maybe there's a limited number of free items and I don't get close to reaching it.
Today I looked at one and followed the links to other similar 'feelgood' ones.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:26 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one:
'Perfect stranger' delivers birthday surprise 4,000 km away | CBC News
Old May 31st 2018, 1:20 pm
Oscar nominated

Nice.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 9:17 pm
Oscar nominated

A guy from near Quebec City went on a tour by motor bike of NB and NS. He stopped off in Moncton on the way back, having stayed over in a motel on his way to NS.

His bike got stolen. That's not the kindness of a stranger.

He got chatting to people he'd made friends with on the first stop and between them they found someone who loaned him their motor bike to ride to Quebec City. Apparently there was a guy who had planned to drive to Quebec with his bike in the back of his truck, so he let the stranger ride it there instead.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 6:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Shane McDaniel posted photos on Facebook of him and his twin sons surrounded by enough chopped wood to fill 80 standard-size pickup trucks. They’d spent months chopping and stacking the firewood, valued at about $10,000. But they had no intention of selling it — they were giving it away to people in need.
https://www.newsy-today.com/a-father...t-needed-heat/
Old Dec 25th 2018, 6:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

A balloon launched by a Mexican girl with her Santa present list attached floated over the U.S. border wall and was found by an Arizona man who granted the 8-year-old’s Christmas wishes.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4793660/m...-wall-arizona/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.