Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Keratin at the Hairdreser

Keratin at the Hairdreser

Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keratin at the Hairdreser

The hairdresser suggested a keratin treatment to stop my frizz. I'm very tempted.

It seems ideal but it costs $150 and I am concerned about safety. I've read mixed reviews. The product she wants to use advertises itself as formaldehyde free and a load of other chemicals-free.

Just wondered if anyone here uses keratin products or has had such treatments at the (Canadian) hairdresser.

I gave up shampoo etc in January because it was making my scalp so dry and I'm worried a keratin treatment may do the same.

Any insights or experiences would be welcome.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keratin at the Hairdreser

Originally Posted by Snowy560
The hairdresser suggested a keratin treatment to stop my frizz. I'm very tempted.

It seems ideal but it costs $150 and I am concerned about safety. I've read mixed reviews. The product she wants to use advertises itself as formaldehyde free and a load of other chemicals-free.

Just wondered if anyone here uses keratin products or has had such treatments at the (Canadian) hairdresser.

I gave up shampoo etc in January because it was making my scalp so dry and I'm worried a keratin treatment may do the same.

Any insights or experiences would be welcome.
You've had a hot humid summer haven't you? That would make you hair frizzy. I haven't given up shampooing but use one with sodium laurel sulphate and my hair is less frizzy and curlier. I don't use any other products and only wash it about every 10 days or so. Having started on a no products regime I wouldn't have a treatment if it was me.

That said a friend had some fancy defrizz treatment which makes her hair look amazingly shiny and sleek.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Yes it's been a long hot summer plus in Gibraltar it was very hot too.

I do use a [won't mention the brand] pure castile soap which can be used for everything (body and hair) but I caved in more recently and started using conditioner again. I don't wash my hair that often either. The hairdresser made it look really smooth so I don't want to wash it!

Actually the soap bar was very good to take on holiday.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:26 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

A long long time ago there were men were men and women were women they ate twigs, leaves, roots and berries, had really poor breath, rat sized lice, really great sex and all sorts of ailments that today we have thankfully found remedies for... and.. they had great hair. And how do I know this having not quite perfected my time machine? I know this because we too have great hair.

Millions of years of evolution have ensured that the body has a marvellous way of looking after itself in spite of all those chemicals we throw at it.

Unfortunately money hasn't been around long enough for the body to have evolved mechanisms to guard against the need to give it away to those who say they can improve on perfection.

If I were you I'd take my $150 and spend it on good food and wine and enjoy it rather than worry about your hair.

Last edited by dave_j; Oct 5th 2017 at 5:30 am.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I mistakenly read the title as 'Ketamin at the hairdresser' and thought what the hell is going on!
Old Oct 5th 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I mistakenly read the title as 'Ketamin at the hairdresser' and thought what the hell is going on!
Got to say....when I first saw that thread title I thought exactly the same! lol
Old Oct 5th 2017, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

That made me laugh! I had to look it up on the internet!!

I'm not very vain and don't wear make up but would like nice straight hair. However, not if the ingredients are problematic.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 4:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to read this article https://www.allure.com/story/keratin...eatment-how-to

Old Oct 5th 2017, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn’t aware I had frizzy hair until I grew my hair long about 6 years ago. I have straight, fine hair but I seem to have a lot of it...the volume seems to increase 4 fold in humidity. I have often considered Keratin treatment but instead have settled for the smoothing creams and oils sold at the pharmacy. None seem to work...neither do the ones sold at the hairdressers that cost an arm or a leg. A few weeks ago I thought I would try Brylcream...yes that old fashioned hair cream my elderly male relatives used. To my amazement it actually works...especially if I put a little more than I need before going to bed.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brylcream!! Please tell me how you use it!!

The thread is getting interesting!
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
...Brylcream.....
Doesn't that attract flies?
Attached Thumbnails Keratin at the Hairdreser-mary.jpg  
Old Oct 6th 2017, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I'll probably risk the keratin. At least for one treatment.

I have to go to a conference next week and do a little bit of speaking. If my hair looks good it will help the self confidence!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keratin at the Hairdresser

I just remembered... Pantene used to be great for frizz... haven't tried in years...must try gain.

In my case it's just my bangs/ fringe that frizzes and curls!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I'll probably risk the keratin. At least for one treatment.

I have to go to a conference next week and do a little bit of speaking. If my hair looks good it will help the self confidence!
Apparently jizz takes away the frizz.

It's organic and I got next Tuesday afternoon off.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Got to say....when I first saw that thread title I thought exactly the same! lol

I'm glad it wasn't just me!

Originally Posted by Oink
Apparently jizz takes away the frizz.

It's organic and I got next Tuesday afternoon off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.