Karma Etiquette

Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Karma Etiquette

Ann,

Sorry if it you felt it was aimed at you, it certainly wasn't as your comment was one of the lighthearted ones I referred to and, having previously sent me Karma, you were one of those people I wished to thank.

I got the feeling from a couple of the other posters that they considered the idea of thanking people to be over the top and merely wanted to point out to them that they did not need to share that view. I had asked for guidance on what to do and felt it unneccesary that petty comments with no value had been made.

John
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beastie
Ann,

Sorry if it you felt it was aimed at you, it certainly wasn't as your comment was one of the lighthearted ones I referred to and, having previously sent me Karma, you were one of those people I wished to thank.

I got the feeling from a couple of the other posters that they considered the idea of thanking people to be over the top and merely wanted to point out to them that they did not need to share that view. I had asked for guidance on what to do and felt it unneccesary that petty comments with no value had been made.

John
I want to thank everyone who has given me Karma,

sometimes i don't look for ages so don't always thank you lovely people,

I didn't know weather you should PM thanks but have had lots from others
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone provide a lesson in Karma Etiquette please.

John
Ann,

I got the feeling from a couple of the other posters that they considered the idea of thanking people to be over the top and merely wanted to point out to them that they did not need to share that view.
John, you cant have it both ways....you did ask for our views.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

I always noticed the Karma thingy, but didn't realise what it was...I only realised when I looked at my profile 2 weeks ago that people send you 'Karma' I felt awful when I read good wishes and hadn't responded.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

I only just figured out Karma too - by reading this thread Reminds me My Name Is Earl's on tonight....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Out of amusement I just did my count .. got 16 since august 2006 .. now I don't know how that would compare to others here and honestly I don't care ... but sometimes I will send a PM but if not I doubt that someone would take offence for my not having reacted.

So I do not think there is an etiquette involved.

Bit it is a good question though.

And yes the karma whore reference was definitely humorous.

Last edited by montreal mike; Apr 17th 2008 at 2:02 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Iaink,

What I asked for is what you provided in your first post, a lesson (guidance) on appropriate action after receiving Karma for which you were thanked. I did not ask for views as to whether the notion of thanking people was a silly or extreme one, something implied by Caitilin's post and your subsequent reply.

Many threads are spoiled by unnecessarily negative and petty posts made by people who really have no desire to help with the original posters question or request. I have always found this annoying as I try to limit my posts to providing helpful info or having a laugh with the poster rather than at the poster. I thought my question would give me the answer I needed and leave room for some lighthearted banter. Apparently I was mistaken.

It seems I was not alone in being unsure about Karma so I'm pleased some of the replies have provided others with answers as well. Not life changing information but for me, a lesson well learned.

If anyone feels they need a little Karma and would like to lighten up the thread a bit, I'm sure there is plenty to go around

John
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Iaink,

What I asked for is what you provided in your first post, a lesson (guidance) on appropriate action after receiving Karma for which you were thanked. I did not ask for views as to whether the notion of thanking people was a silly or extreme one, something implied by Caitilin's post and your subsequent reply.

Many threads are spoiled by unnecessarily negative and petty posts made by people who really have no desire to help with the original posters question or request. I have always found this annoying as I try to limit my posts to providing helpful info or having a laugh with the poster rather than at the poster. I thought my question would give me the answer I needed and leave room for some lighthearted banter. Apparently I was mistaken.

It seems I was not alone in being unsure about Karma so I'm pleased some of the replies have provided others with answers as well. Not life changing information but for me, a lesson well learned.

If anyone feels they need a little Karma and would like to lighten up the thread a bit, I'm sure there is plenty to go around

John
Is there a limit on how much karma you can give ?

I know you can't give it to the same person, just wondering ?

well i have had thanks from people for Karma that have been on this forum for yonks so if i notice i will continue to pm thanks, if i don't see it then i apologise now
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Is there a limit on how much karma you can give ?

I know you can't give it to the same person, just wondering ?

well i have had thanks from people for Karma that have been on this forum for yonks so if i notice i will continue to pm thanks, if i don't see it then i apologise now
There is a karma wiki somewhere, Judy linked to it earlier... its overly complicated.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 17th 2008 at 6:32 pm.