Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Just when you'd thought......

Just when you'd thought......

Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just when you'd thought......

Originally Posted by Oink
Devolution of power rather than consolidation of power is a better for human agency.
Not if the devolved power rips up opportunity and decreases wealth.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
I'm saying its a done deal, time to move on, unite, whatever. The dog is dead....shall we get another dog in the future....perhaps, but let's leave it awhile. For now it's just us alone, we shall keep the lead and the memories, the dog basket and the travel cage...just in case. Throw the food, the bowl, perhaps a cat next time?
Easy for you say, you've already jumped ship. And it certainly doesn't seem iike a "done deal". Using your metaphor, it seems like a dog's breakfast.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

If I recall, Ireland had another vote to join and on the second attempt, accepted it. Ffs, how many chances do you want? If it is just 49.9 v 50.1, should we go and vote again?

The job is done, let the elected and the civil servants get on with it without having their hands tied.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:25 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by MarkG
Bingo. The future is decentralized, and the EU is a dinosaur that believes it can keep those pesky mammals from taking over even as the dark clouds of asteroid ash come rolling over the horizon.

I mean, seriously: in a world of VR, 3D printers and basement bioengineering, what's the benefit of being told what to do by people thousands of miles away? Why would anyone want that, unless they're a power-crazed politico who expects to be the one who's telling other people what to do?

We're racing towards a time of change that will make the early years of the Industrial Revolution look like the Teddy Bear's Picnic. Big states are rapidly going to become big liabilities.
Yes, but we're not there yet. In another few decades, with a fully globalised world, it may well be time for decentralisation, but right now we trade in blocks and Britain is a minnow to the US or China. In terms of humans rights and healthcare, the EU is at the forefront.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well the vote has been cast and counted and democracy dictates we now leave, the country has been in difficult situations before and will again
The UK has indeed been in difficult circumstances in the past, but at least for the last 400 years or so it has survived because of the sovereignty of Parliament over despostic forces such as the Monarchy and Rupert Murdoch. (And idiotic Tories)
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:32 pm
Yo

If I recall, Ireland had another vote to join and on the second attempt, accepted it. Ffs, how many chances do you want? If it is just 49.9 v 50.1, should we go and vote again?

The job is done, let the elected and the civil servants get on with it without having their hands tied.
Ireland made the right choice. Clever people, they would be mad to leave. Can you imagine Ireland right now outside the EU? What would be the benefit?

I think the first vote should have been some kind of qualified majority 60/40, 55/45, some kind of margin to reflect true commitment to undoing 40 years of economic integration. However, given what's happened, a simple confirmation of the majority, even 50.001% would be satisfactory.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Easy for you say, you've already jumped ship. And it certainly doesn't seem iike a "done deal". Using your metaphor, it seems like a dog's breakfast.
Just out of interest, how are you directly affected? Do you own property in another EU country? Do you directly employ people from another EU country, perhaps you are planning to live and work in Belgium? perhaps you're a euro sponger, I really don't know your circumstances, I haven't said how I voted, i did, and it all happened a week before I flew here, it cost me $200k in the drop in exchange rates, I can't undo the vote and neither can you. Just live with the consequences, adapt and move on.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Well 100B is the top end figure that someone has bandied about, nobody yet knows what the realistic figures are as neither side has bothered to set out their numbers. The amount relates to ongoing long term investment commitments, it will all be set in treaty law (as you can imagine); no jiggery pokery but obviously prone to some interpretation.
Recommendations - EU-UK negotiations

Those that disagreed with the BREXIT decision need to get over themselves, those old enough to remember the lost vote to leave in the seventies had little choice but move on.
But some of them didn't move on, did they?

And it took a court case for our elected representatives to have their say on Article 50. Will it take another to hold the government to account?

Also, the Great Repeal Bill which will transfer EU law into UK law will give Ministers the right to change any of those laws without Parliamentary oversight. Is that 'letting our elected representatives get on with it'?
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

well the Leavers certainly thought that "we" should.

The civil servants surely have to do the heavy lifting, but the elected less so according to Mrs. May. (the Cabinet is not elected, the House of Commons is).
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:44 pm
Yo

Just out of interest, how are you directly affected? Do you own property in another EU country? Do you directly employ people from another EU country, perhaps you are planning to live and work in Belgium? perhaps you're a euro sponger, I really don't know your circumstances, I haven't said how I voted, i did, and it all happened a week before I flew here, it cost me $200k in the drop in exchange rates, I can't undo the vote and neither can you. Just live with the consequences, adapt and move on.
I'll certainly adapt if it happens, but right now it hasn't happened, and there's a slim chance that what I view as a misinformed retrograde decision can be averted.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll certainly adapt if it happens, but right now it hasn't happened, and there's a slim chance that what I view as a misinformed retrograde decision can be averted.
Good luck with that, but the dead dog isn't going to wake up, no matter how much you my want it to. We might all of wanted a different outcome, but the reality is we are out of it in the not too distant future.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 10:06 pm
Yo

Good luck with that, but the dead dog isn't going to wake up, no matter how much you my want it to. We might all of wanted a different outcome, but the reality is we are out of it in the not too distant future.
The dog is slightly more awake than it was before Theresa demonstrated her vacuousness. The economic impact is starting to be noticed and felt. Much needed European workers are drifting away. And nothing of substance has been achieved one full year later. On current trends, the dog might start barking in a few months time, and after another election, who knows. Way too many on the Brexit side are peddling this "it's decided, we're leaving" dictat but as they say, it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 10:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Not if the devolved power rips up opportunity and decreases wealth.
The only people who gain wealth in consolidation are trans-national corporations who have little regard for human beings other consumers or commodities.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 10:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The dog is slightly more awake than it was before Theresa demonstrated her vacuousness. The economic impact is starting to be noticed and felt. Much needed European workers are drifting away. And nothing of substance has been achieved one full year later. On current trends, the dog might start barking in a few months time, and after another election, who knows. Way too many on the Brexit side are peddling this "it's decided, we're leaving" dictat but as they say, it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Those greedy, middle-class EU apologists should stop moaning and fretting whether Tarquin and Genevieve will get subsidies for university education in Berlin or Paris.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 10:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Devolution of power rather than consolidation of power is a better for human agency.
Originally Posted by MarkG
Bingo. The future is decentralized, and the EU is a dinosaur that believes it can keep those pesky mammals from taking over even as the dark clouds of asteroid ash come rolling over the horizon.
A progressive future would be borderless with universal trade.

The decentralised past only worked because Britain had an empire under it's thumb to exploit.

The vote for Brexit was for the return to an era that is simply not achievable nor progressive for human agency or decency.

A transition arrangement will be agreed. The fate of Britain will be determined by the mandates laid out in the next election. By then it will be clearer on what Brexit's actually look like and are achievable.

Jeremy Corbyn will be the next Prime Minister. May's Conservatives will follow their Conservative cousins in Canada into the abyss for several terms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.