Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's Not Easy Staying Green

It's Not Easy Staying Green

Old May 25th 2016, 2:00 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's Not Easy Staying Green

Originally Posted by leith
The cheapest large storage units we've been able to find are the bladders used by the US army. Ours holds about 13,000 litres and filled in about a couple of weeks with a hose run from the downspout. (A guy on Denman Island sells these bladders.)
What are the bylaws restricting water use in your area? We have four stages now with lawn watering limited to two days a week and stage 4 prohibiting all outdoor water use and limiting water consumption to cooking and "personal" essentials. Last year, the town reached stage 3 and almost got to stage 4. This is why we now have our own backup store of water although I can't see anybody stopping watering their vegetables altogether even if stage 4 does come into effect.
Blimey, maybe I should suggest this to some of my little old biddies, they seem to have to tiddle every hour or so, this might well be the answer! I'm not sure whether they would be too happy about filling via the downpipe though
Old May 25th 2016, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
What are the bylaws restricting water use in your area?
None. We have a well.
Old May 25th 2016, 12:20 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
None. We have a well.
Our other place has a well. We were there this weekend. The water needs treatment (sulphur, iron and calcium). The kit is installed but the filters haven't been changed in a while. The water currently looks and smells like the morning after a vindaloo washed down with Coors.
Old May 25th 2016, 12:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Our other place has a well. We were there this weekend. The water needs treatment (sulphur, iron and calcium). The kit is installed but the filters haven't been changed in a while. The water currently looks and smells like the morning after a vindaloo washed down with Coors.
Is the filter is one that uses potassium permanganate? Ours is and it's getting quite expensive to feed it.
Old May 25th 2016, 1:03 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Is the filter is one that uses potassium permanganate? Ours is and it's getting quite expensive to feed it.
I haven't got a clue. I wasn't there when the kit was bought or installed.
Old May 26th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Dbd you are brilliant, what an amazing idea, I've never heard of this, but will certainly give it a try next year. I'm not really very green thumbed, but I am trying beans in pots. We have also made a wooden frame to hold a one ton bag (they sell them for rubble and grain) and have filled it with soil and it's round the side of the house as a raised bed, I'm going to try beet root and carrots I think. I cannot grow a tomato here for love or money. I have bought all manner of tomato plants, and never had anything edible. I had success with them before, but not here. I have given up on them.
Old May 26th 2016, 12:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MillieF
Dbd you are brilliant

Well, yes, I think so, but all credit for the straw bale garden, all gardening in fact, goes to the actually brilliant I2C.

what an amazing idea, I've never heard of this, but will certainly give it a try next year. I'm not really very green thumbed, but I am trying beans in pots. We have also made a wooden frame to hold a one ton bag (they sell them for rubble and grain) and have filled it with soil and it's round the side of the house as a raised bed, I'm going to try beet root and carrots I think. I cannot grow a tomato here for love or money. I have bought all manner of tomato plants, and never had anything edible. I had success with them before, but not here. I have given up on them.
Tomatoes are growing in the basement under a grow-op arrangement of 2" plumbing pipes suspending tube lamps (picture from last year). They'll go into the bales this weekend, time permitting.
Attached Thumbnails It's Not Easy Staying Green-img_1545.jpg  
Old May 26th 2016, 12:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I cannot grow a tomato here for love or money. I have bought all manner of tomato plants, and never had anything edible....
Really?

My stepdaughter's done pretty good with them. Two years ago she produced loads and loads and loads of cucumbers that were fabulous. Not sure what happened last year.

She's adding corn and water melon this time.

Strawberries work quite well. She also had Alpine Strawberries but they're a waste of space. No flavour at all.
Old May 26th 2016, 1:44 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

brilliant I2C.
??? I googled this and got a Maclaren car?

Did well with googling Hay Bale gardens though
Old May 26th 2016, 2:21 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

That's not very green Millie but I suppose if you drive it responsibly, just avoid potholes, I'm told they bugger up the suspension.
Old May 26th 2016, 2:25 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
That's not very green Millie but I suppose if you drive it responsibly, just avoid potholes, I'm told they bugger up the suspension.
Smartarse!
Old May 26th 2016, 2:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Sorry, I could have been more explicit. I2C is the abbreviated name of a former poster here. The former poster to whom I am married. I don't believe her poster name was related to cars.

Hay is another thing to straw, I expect there's a whole world of controversy between hay and straw bale advocates. I'd avoid that topic in the pub, like Israel/Palestine or the correct placement of screws in sheet metal roofs, some topics just excite too much passion.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:05 pm
BE user by choice

Sorry, I could have been more explicit. I2C is the abbreviated name of a former poster here. The former poster to whom I am married. I don't believe her poster name was related to cars.

Hay is another thing to straw, I expect there's a whole world of controversy between hay and straw bale advocates. I'd avoid that topic in the pub, like Israel/Palestine or the correct placement of screws in sheet metal roofs, some topics just excite too much passion.
Thank you so much dbd! I hope your wife is sleek and fast...in the nicest way! And green!

Yes there does seem to be a various advise...alfalfa seems popular...it's such a great idea though...it's amused me