Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Isagenix - helpful or scam?

Isagenix - helpful or scam?

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:49 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Isagenix - helpful or scam?

So, who has heard of Isagenix? Seems to be all the rage now and have several friends peddling the stuff. Given that they are basically a multi level marketing set up where they make money as they recruit more and more people I have a hard time buying into the hype.

Anyone with personal experience ? Preferably from those not selling it already. I'm more into the healthy eating and exercise but something like this might give a nice boost to get me going.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 11:25 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Isagenix - helpful or scam?

Originally Posted by comet555
So, who has heard of Isagenix? Seems to be all the rage now and have several friends peddling the stuff. Given that they are basically a multi level marketing set up where they make money as they recruit more and more people I have a hard time buying into the hype.

Anyone with personal experience ? Preferably from those not selling it already. I'm more into the healthy eating and exercise but something like this might give a nice boost to get me going.
Any reputable product doesn't need to stoop to the low that is MLM in my not so humble opinion. A business model based on selling shit to your friends and acquaintances is reprehensible whether it's wonder vitamin supplements, jewelry, candles, or any other shit. It seems all the rage in Canada, the Mrs is for ever being invited to parties from co-workers and friends.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 11:37 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Any reputable product doesn't need to stoop to the low that is MLM in my not so humble opinion. A business model based on selling shit to your friends and acquaintances is reprehensible whether it's wonder vitamin supplements, jewelry, candles, or any other shit. It seems all the rage in Canada, the Mrs is for ever being invited to parties from co-workers and friends.
Yes, this sort of marketing makes me feel most uncomfortable too. It happened lots in France, always some makeup party, or clothes.... always from a friend, and the expectation that one would cough up....and now I'm here the same thing is happening again....last weekend it was some odd assortment of clothes where the skirt turned into a scarf, and then the top could be turned into something extraordinary all at a starting price of $150! I fervently hope that I never feel the need to do the same thing....I suppose I could always try to flog something to you lot? You'd all be good for a few dollars wouldn't you
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 11:52 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't waste your money. I hate these fad type diets that suck people into believing its a miracle diet aid to a slim and healthy you. The only solution to weight loss is healthy eating and burn off more calories than you eat. Nothing less than 1200 for sure but better to be around 1500 a day because no-one wants to be in starvation mode.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 12:25 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Exactly. It's the multi level marketing and promise of huge income that makes it totally lose credibility in my mind. I've never been a fan or diets, or starvation for that matter so have passed on the whole thing so far.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 12:44 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I wouldn't waste your money. I hate these fad type diets that suck people into believing its a miracle diet aid to a slim and healthy you. The only solution to weight loss is healthy eating and burn off more calories than you eat. Nothing less than 1200 for sure but better to be around 1500 a day because no-one wants to be in starvation mode.
+1 billion.

I also hate these fad diets, all these companies peddling magic ways to lose weight... no. It doesn't work. If you want to lose weight, eat a little bit less and move a little bit more. It's the only thing that works long-term as well. Sure these 'magic' methods may make you drop some weight in the short term, but you can't possibly keep up that lifestyle.

Feel free to drop me a message if you want some actual tips on losing weight. I've been on an "eat less move more" regime for 22 months, and my parents and husband since January. We have collectively lost 105lbs (28 of those off me! hee!). It takes work and determination but it's totally doable, without any of these fad 'miracles' that ultimately don't work.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:01 pm
Canuck/Aussie

When I really put my mind to it I can lose weight, have done it before! Just need to get motivated again. Have never felt the need to try crappy diets before, always good eating and exercise for me. I know it will work, but I just lose weight so slowly that I get frustrated. Not helped by the fact that when my husband does it with me the pounds just fly off for him. Always very happy for him it just gets me frustrated at my slow pace, lol.

I just find the whole isagenix thing fascinating as it's almost cult like in a way. They'd have far more credibility if you could just buy it in stores. But then they may not have grown to the popularity they are now without people pushing it on their friends so they could make money off it.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The Mrs tried something called "Visalis" (or something similar). Essentially a protein shake powder with some magical unicorn dust snake oil content that helps you lose weight. Supposedly. $60 for two bags and automatic billing & dispatch until she called a halt to it. We still have some left & use it for breakfast smoothies. I suspect you can buy a product that is virtually identical in most health food stores should you feel the need.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Jul 22nd 2014 at 1:42 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:39 pm
Canuck/Aussie

I have regular old containers of protein from Costco that I make smoothies with. Mostly I make them for the kids as my son in particular doesn't eat much protein, or in general, so it helps.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:14 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked up Isagenix, and there are a few good reviews and a few bad ones, and a number of remarks that it's similar to Herbal Life.

My husband and I have been following the 5/2 Fast Diet since spring, and really enjoy it. Every Tuesday and Thursday we just eat very few calories, 500 for me and 600 for him. The rest of the week, we do as we please, but just eat healthily. It isn't difficult, and it seems to be working. I need to eat less here, as I just generally move much less. I pop up to the 5th floor at work for a pee, but am otherwise on my bum all day, not good. Best of luck to all us hopeful losers
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:19 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Isagenix, arbonne, Visalus. All basically same stuff.
They just want your money ..

Basic answer:
Eat less, exercise more, if you want a meal replacement solution buy a decent non soy protein powder from anywhere and make a smoothie!
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:25 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I just looked up Isagenix, and there are a few good reviews and a few bad ones, and a number of remarks that it's similar to Herbal Life.

My husband and I have been following the 5/2 Fast Diet since spring, and really enjoy it. Every Tuesday and Thursday we just eat very few calories, 500 for me and 600 for him. The rest of the week, we do as we please, but just eat healthily. It isn't difficult, and it seems to be working. I need to eat less here, as I just generally move much less. I pop up to the 5th floor at work for a pee, but am otherwise on my bum all day, not good. Best of luck to all us hopeful losers
I know a few people who have been on the 5/2 diet and it's working for them. It's not a bad option either. A guy I worked wtih loves it - finds it easy to stick to it and lost about 25lbs doing it.

I'm on just calorie counting, as is the rest of my family. 1250/day for me (1390 when I started, then 1330, then 1280, now 1250 - it's the worst incentive program ever! Congrats you lost weight, now we take away calories!). I've been on 1250 for awhile and it's not bad once yu work out a system and load up your food with low-cal but very filling things - mainly fruit and veg with a bit of protein and carb sprinkled in for sanity. I just stick to that daily, I don't get worked up when I have an off day (like Sunday, when I had my first properly off day in months but gorged out on 2600 cals, oopsies!), as long as my off days are few and far between.

I don't cheat, I don't "fake" calories - my rule is if it's passing my lips, I know what's in it (as much as I can). I have a kitchen scale, and everything gets weighed, right down to the milk that goes in my tea. Everything gets logged in MyFitnessPal. I'm pretty militant about it, but it's the only way I make sure that I stay on track and that I'm not cheating or lying to myself. I'll still eat all the things I want, I just eat it in sensible portions. If I want to have chocolate then I will - I'll either have a smaller lunch to leave room, or I'l just have a small amount instead.

This is rambly now. If anyone is on MFP, PM me if you want to do the friend thing on there. :P
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 4:49 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

agree with the others.

Millie - it's a fantasy career for a lot of stay at homers I think. There is a great blog here about Mary Kay, another MLM :Pink Truth which also touches on some of the other scammy ones.

I do shop a bit through parties. I love stella & dot stuff and I also shop jockey through my daycare lady. I hate shopping though and I'm lazy. These seem to be less scammy than the others?
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 8:38 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the others about protein.
Eat a protein with every meal to stave off hunger. Best advise I would pass on to others if trying to lose weight. A toasted whole grain PB and banana sandwich would keep me going for 5 hrs. A 0% Greek yoghurt has up to 15 grams of protein in a small pot. You don't need to throw away extra $$ when you can buy good protein food, bars or powder in regular stores.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 8:46 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Cookie
Agree with the others about protein.
Eat a protein with every meal to stave off hunger. Best advise I would pass on to others if trying to lose weight. A toasted whole grain PB and banana sandwich would keep me going for 5 hrs. A 0% Greek yoghurt has up to 15 grams of protein in a small pot. You don't need to throw away extra $$ when you can buy good protein food, bars or powder in regular stores.
Agreed.

Also great to load up on vegetables - you can eat a lot of low-cal veg and get pretty full, particularly leafy veg like spinach that's also high in iron. A big spinach salad with some chicken, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, strawberries, blueberries, a bit of goat cheese if you want, and a light dressing makes a great filling and low-cal lunch.

Fizzy water (Perrier etc) is also great during the day if you're like me and you like something a bit more 'interesting' than water during the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.