Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The irony of North American English

The irony of North American English

Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default The irony of North American English

I made a trivial conclusion today..

The English kindly gave their great language to North America, which over many many days they destroyed.

Have you noticed when talking to a lot of Canadians, they ask you to repeat things because they don't get your "accent"?

BUT, we can pretty much understand everything they say all the time? Even when they mispronounce things like "duty" or "Edinburgh".

I reckon this is because us Brits watched a massively higher percentage of American crap than they watched British quality television. So we are all trained to understand the drivel they speak.

Soon North Americans will not understand a word of actual English
Old Mar 5th 2015, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The irony of North American English

American English is actually based on English English of the 17th and 18th century

If you look at spellings of words, and probably pronunciation, at that time in England, and compare with a lot of American spellings ............ they're almost identical!!

The Quakers came over to Pennsylvania in the mid-1600s .......... they brought their spellings etc with them

English English and American English then developed separately

so is it English English that is wrong, or American English that is wrong?

It is the same with Quebec French and Parisian French .................... Quebec French is based on the French language as it was in the 16th century, and then developed on from that

But you are correct in that English people understand the American language and Americanisms much better than Americans understand English-isms ............. and it is all down to the fact that English people see, and have always seen, many more American films than the other way round.

I well remember going to see a British comedy in Texas back in 1968 .............. 4 English people were the ONLY ones in the theatre to be laughing. The jokes and humour went right over the heads of the Americans there. That was in the great heyday of British comedies!

I'm surprised that you find Canadians don't understand you ............. I've never found that
Old Mar 5th 2015, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

wow, every day's a school day! lol

I was delivering something to a lady called Mary today, The receptionist asked "Merry what?"

Maybe it's the Glasgow accent rather than my English, lol
Old Mar 5th 2015, 4:57 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I think Brits just hear a far wider range of accents from the time they're old enough to sit up and watch TV.

I've found people, if I've never met them before, quickly hear my accent but they're not able to place it at all. This causes them to not concentrate on what I'm actually saying. I've taken steps to modify my pronunciation and speech slightly to make it easier to follow though. If I spoke like I do with my mates back home they'd be genuinely clueless I think.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

North Americans, including native-born Canadians cannot distinguish between certain words.

This was once a bit of a party game

Can you say the following sequences of words so they sound differently ..........

fairy, ferry, furry

Mary, merry, marry
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
wow, every day's a school day! lol

I was delivering something to a lady called Mary today, The receptionist asked "Merry what?"

Maybe it's the Glasgow accent rather than my English, lol
Or maybe she was making a bit of a joke.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Or maybe she was making a bit of a joke.
Nah. She really wasn't that smart.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

Or are they just different?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

North Americans, including native-born Canadians cannot distinguish between certain words.

This was once a bit of a party game

Can you say the following sequences of words so they sound differently ..........

fairy, ferry, furry

Mary, merry, marry
It can be confusing. Can and can't sound the same. As do hairy and Harry, and author/Arthur.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
Nah. She really wasn't that smart.
Possibly you just weren't smart enough to get the joke.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It can be confusing. Can and can't sound the same. As do hairy and Harry, and author/Arthur.
Hairy and Harry sound the same, the other two examples don't.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I find ten thousand spoons, when all you need is a knife, ironic.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:45 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I find ten thousand spoons, when all you need is a knife, ironic.
Who needs a knife?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:56 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

American English is actually based on English English of the 17th and 18th century
So if they haven't managed one step forward in 300 years we're probably expecting a bit much of them now, eh?

I thought Canadians liked to distinguish themselves from the States by spelling properly, so I'm quite disappointed with the amount of American English up here.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:00 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at spellings of words, and probably pronunciation, at that time in England, and compare with a lot of American spellings ............ they're almost identical!!

The Quakers came over to Pennsylvania in the mid-1600s .......... they brought their spellings etc with them

English English and American English then developed separately

It is the same with Quebec French and Parisian French .................... Quebec French is based on the French language as it was in the 16th century, and then developed on from that

But you are correct in that English people understand the American language and Americanisms much better than Americans understand English-isms ............. and it is all down to the fact that English people see, and have always seen, many more American films than the other way round.

I well remember going to see a British comedy in Texas back in 1968 .............. 4 English people were the ONLY ones in the theatre to be laughing. The jokes and humour went right over the heads of the Americans there. That was in the great heyday of British comedies!

I'm surprised that you find Canadians don't understand you ............. I've never found that
I'm so used to listening to Canadians now that I struggle to understand English people.

I enjoyed the background on languages that you shared here. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.