British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Irn Bru (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/irn-bru-522197/)

edsask Mar 16th 2008 7:53 pm

Irn Bru

Can I get some in Canada? I picked up a couple of bottles in SF yesterday, and it really reminded me how much I liked the stuff when I lived in Edinburgh. My wife, after exhibiting some initial scepticism, has become rather partial to it now, too. Can we buy it through ex-pat shops, or will we need friends/family to pick up some before they fly over?

Happy Sunday, by the way.

Steve_P Mar 16th 2008 7:54 pm

Re: Irn Bru

Originally Posted by edsask (Post 6070921)
Can I get some in Canada? I picked up a couple of bottles in SF yesterday, and it really reminded me how much I liked the stuff when I lived in Edinburgh. My wife, after exhibiting some initial scepticism, has become rather partial to it now, too. Can we buy it through ex-pat shops, or will we need friends/family to pick up some before they fly over?

Happy Sunday, by the way.

Saw some at Real Canadian Superstore in Calgary yesterday.

mc_dub Mar 16th 2008 7:55 pm

the local price chopper here has it

pinkmcfarquhar Mar 16th 2008 7:55 pm

have seen it in a couple of supermarkets over here - but only wee glass bottles, no big bottles.

MarkG Mar 16th 2008 7:59 pm

I'm sure I've seen it in Superstore here in Saskatoon.

Madmac Mar 16th 2008 9:53 pm

Available in Ultra Fresh, Zehrs, Food Basics etc..

Just little bottles though. The Scottish shops in Fergus and Elora sell the 2 litre bottles....for a price.

Piff Poff Mar 16th 2008 10:11 pm

is it my imagination or is stuff like this becomming more readily available? I mean Walmart even sells Pataks now - I'm sure they didn't when we first got here as I could only find that sort of stuff in some supermarkets!

The life of the UK care package is doomed!:rofl:

Biiiiink Mar 16th 2008 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 6071488)
Walmart even sells Pataks now

I think Pataks were bought by the Westons, that could explain it :)

techwizard Apr 2nd 2008 1:55 pm

Take care when looking for your Irn-Bru that it does not say that it was bottled in Toronto.

The Canadian version of Barrs is not a patch on the "real" thing made in Scotland.

When I was in Canada last year, I heard that they had to ban Scottish Irn Bru sales for a short time until they changed the recipe for the Canadian market. Hence the version that is bottled in Toronto. Something to do with it containing a chemical that is against Canadian laws.

GW

Madmac Apr 2nd 2008 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by techwizard (Post 6147665)
Take care when looking for your Irn-Bru that it does not say that it was bottled in Toronto.

The Canadian version of Barrs is not a patch on the "real" thing made in Scotland.

When I was in Canada last year, I heard that they had to ban Scottish Irn Bru sales for a short time until they changed the recipe for the Canadian market. Hence the version that is bottled in Toronto. Something to do with it containing a chemical that is against Canadian laws.

GW

Tastes the same to me but then I've been away for a while now.

On this topic: I noticed that Ultra Fresh are now selling Bru in 375ml plastic bottles.

Still the best hangover tonic in the world.

raine66 Apr 2nd 2008 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Madmac (Post 6147683)

On this topic: I noticed that Ultra Fresh are now selling Bru in 375ml plastic bottles.

:thumbsup:

techwizard Apr 2nd 2008 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Madmac (Post 6147683)

What area of Canada are Ultra Fresh stores in ?

Biiiiink Apr 2nd 2008 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by techwizard (Post 6147665)

GW

Caffeine? You can't have caffeine in drinks that aren't brown, or labelled as "energy drinks" or something. This should be in the archive, I think we've had this before.

I know Mountain Dew for Canada was different until they rebranded it as an "energy drink".

I thought previous Irn Bru problems were due to non-bilingual labelling, but I don't know, I've never bought any here.

Steve_P Apr 2nd 2008 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by techwizard (Post 6147796)
What area of Canada are Ultra Fresh stores in ?

Madmac is in Ontario so I would guess Ontario for Ultra Fresh. :)

Madmac Apr 2nd 2008 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6147808)
Madmac is in Ontario so I would guess Ontario for Ultra Fresh. :)

Yup - specifically Guelph.