iPhone Photos

Old Jan 4th 2015, 12:33 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default iPhone Photos

Does anyone know how to copy the folder of photos on an iPhone to a Mac. I have plugged the USB wire in, but it seems to want to establish the iPhone as a "known phone" and then presumably import the photos into iPhoto Library.

I simply want to copy the iPhone photo folder itself as a backup.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 1:02 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPhone Photos

I searched google for you, and found this:

HTH
Old Jan 4th 2015, 1:06 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Very good pic :@)

Can u not just open pic folder and drag n drop like on a Window PC

Or

When you plug in the Iphone open up Iphoto on your Mac
and then in the left hand column under devices you should see your Iphone. Click on this then you will see all the photos on your Iphone. Click on the photos you want to transfer

Last edited by magnumpi; Jan 4th 2015 at 1:11 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 1:13 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Very good pic :@)

Can u not just open pic folder and drag n drop like on a Window PC
That's what I want to do, but the device is not showing up on my iMac (although it is there because it's offering me options to set up and synch my "new iPhone"). Apple doesn't really like normal users tinkering with files, they prefer everything to be done through their interface.

I don't want to transfer through iPhoto, that's the whole point.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 1:18 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Does anyone know how to copy the folder of photos on an iPhone to a Mac. I have plugged the USB wire in, but it seems to want to establish the iPhone as a "known phone" and then presumably import the photos into iPhoto Library.

I simply want to copy the iPhone photo folder itself as a backup.
Alas it's not that simple as the phone does not show up as "drive" on a Mac.

When you say a "known phone", what do you mean? Is it asking "do you want to trust this computer"? if so just say trust.

You could use iPhoto, but it's a two step process; open iPhoto, import the photos, then drag them back out to a folder.

I'd rather go with Image Capture, unless you want to keep a library of photos in iPhoto.

Anyway, Create a new folder on the desktop, then fire up the Image Capture app (use the spotlight search - magnifying glass in top right of menu bar - and type 'image capture' and it should find the app) and copy all the photos from the phone onto a folder on the mac.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 1:33 pm
me/moi

Originally Posted by sharkus

When you say a "known phone", what do you mean? Is it asking "do you want to trust this computer"? if so just say trust.

You could use iPhoto, but it's a two step process; open iPhoto, import the photos, then drag them back out to a folder.

I'd rather go with Image Capture, unless you want to keep a library of photos in iPhoto.

Anyway, Create a new folder on the desktop, then fire up the Image Capture app (use the spotlight search - magnifying glass in top right of menu bar - and type 'image capture' and it should find the app) and copy all the photos from the phone onto a folder on the mac.
Yes did the trust thing. Image capture sounds like a good idea, think I used that once before. Will give it a try.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 1:43 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Another slightly convuluted option (disclaimer.... Not a Mac user)

Download Dropbox app.
Set photos to automatically upload.
Copy contents of dropbox folder onto computer
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

off topic but Apple related. I am sure they make good products but man do I get frustrated when I use my other half's Apple something or other lap top.

I guess I have been using windows too long.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 12:01 pm
me/moi

Excellent advice Sharkus. 4000 photos copied with ease! My faith in Steve is restored
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:23 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
off topic but Apple related. I am sure they make good products but man do I get frustrated when I use my other half's Apple something or other lap top.

I guess I have been using windows too long.
Specific examples? No, I'm not going to go all raging Fanboy at you. I'm actually genuinely curious, which is odd for someone who has been part of the cult for 21 years, as we do usually get to the rabid zealot level at that point (special emails from Tim and such )

Originally Posted by Shard
Excellent advice Sharkus. 4000 photos copied with ease! My faith in Steve is restored
You're very welcome. Happy to help where I can.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:06 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Does it not just back them up on the "cloud" aka the internet. I know my windows phone did this and stored them on "OneDrive" which just shows up as a drive on my PC. My android phone backs them up too but I'm not entirely sure where actually.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:27 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

It can do, if you have that enabled. However, the question is still how to get the photos from iCloud onto a machine, especially one that might not be yours. You're faffing around adding in an iCloud account, then waiting for them to download, etc...
In addition, you only get 5GB of storage on iCloud for free. Sounds a lot, but if you take photos and videos, it can fill up quickly, plus it's also shared amongst other things, it's not just for photos.

iCloud Drive (new for iOS 8 / OS X Yosemite) might allow you to sign into the website and download items, not sure, I don't have it enabled at present. However, as said, still got to wait for the download to happen.

Far quicker to fire up image capture and pull the photos off. On Windows machines you might be able to see the phone as a drive and pull them off that way, so even easier. Not sure on that though, been a while since I had an iOS device hooked up to Windows.

Last edited by sharkus; Jan 7th 2015 at 10:29 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 11:05 pm
me/moi

Sharkus, do you have any tips on how I can speed Chrome up on my Mac. It's become very slow with lots of "thrashing". Tried completely clearing history and cache, but it hasn't really resolved it.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:31 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Try this: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en
Can't promise it'll help though.

I had something very similar with Safari on Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite). Was happening at work and home, so wasn't machine specific. seemed that clearing website data and also finding and trashing the cache database file it keeps has helped, but I suspect it'll come back later.

Really dislike you cannot JUST clear history any more, well, not with a single command. You have to view the history, select all, then delete the history. Very annoying.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:01 am
me/moi

Try this: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en
Can't promise it'll help though.

I had something very similar with Safari on Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite). Was happening at work and home, so wasn't machine specific. seemed that clearing website data and also finding and trashing the cache database file it keeps has helped, but I suspect it'll come back later.

Really dislike you cannot JUST clear history any more, well, not with a single command. You have to view the history, select all, then delete the history. Very annoying.
That's worth a try, thanks. I am still on Mountain Lion and seem to be able to clear history by just ticking the boxes and pressing clear. On my Chromebook my browser works perfectly so I think it must be that Apple is not so cool with Chrome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.