Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

IPad Siri help please

IPad Siri help please

Old Sep 13th 2014, 12:27 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default IPad Siri help please

Could those of you who have iPads with Siri try something for me please?
Can you see just how much you can do with voice control only. Imagine your hands don't work. Nothing works just your voice.

Can you switch on or do you need someone to do that to start you off? Can you open Facebook? Read posts, post? Can you go to different websites easily? Shop online?

I'm asking for a friend and want as much info as I can get before I try and persuade them to get a new iPad.

Thanks.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 12:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IPad Siri help please

It sounds to me as if you're trying to do a good deed and I congratulate you for that.

The OH is still swanning about in Europe with her iPad otherwise I'd try to help.

Originally Posted by bats
Could those of you who have iPads with Siri try something for me please?
Can you see just how much you can do with voice control only. Imagine your hands don't work. Nothing works just your voice.

Can you switch on or do you need someone to do that to start you off? Can you open Facebook? Read posts, post? Can you go to different websites easily? Shop online?

I'm asking for a friend and want as much info as I can get before I try and persuade them to get a new iPad.

Thanks.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 12:36 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It sounds to me as if you're trying to do a good deed and I congratulate you for that.

The OH is still swanning about in Europe with her iPad otherwise I'd try to help.
I shall be swanning about in England next week, I shall wave at her.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 12:43 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I have never used SIRI before so have given it a go. It went to fb and kindle without a problem. It didn't go to iplayer, or the weather network app. I suspect it's something to do with me turning off location services.

I suspect I haven't been that helpful! I'm a bit clueless when it comes down to technology!
Old Sep 13th 2014, 12:44 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

On my iPad I need to press the button in order to command Siri. It will open up different apps or look things up on Google, but I then need to use the screen to clck thru different options (maybe it can be done with voice, but not sure). It's still got a way to go before it is truly useful IMO.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 12:52 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I can use Siri on my iphone. Opens any app and search online. You must set language to English UK tho or it gets messed up. Unless you speak Canadian that is.

As said above scrolling and having to tap to speak is unavoidable
Old Sep 13th 2014, 1:06 am
limey party pooper

Ok, thanks, so it's use can't be completely hands free once turned on? There's a gadget they can get that works with it to answer the phone, open a door, turn the tv on but I wanted to know what else can be done.

Keep trying peeps!
Old Sep 13th 2014, 2:16 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Some reading for ya

Iphone / Ipad Access For Person With No Arm / Hand Movement - Iphone Siri Always On / Ipad Mouse Access - Apple OSX Based Accessible Computing - Quadriplegic and Paraplegic Spinal Cord Injuries
Old Sep 13th 2014, 12:43 pm
limey party pooper

Ok, thank you for looking that up. We have an option to try the gadget I mentioned too. That on looks like some computer skills are needed and the mouth control wouldn't work for my friend.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I can use Siri on my iphone. Opens any app and search online. You must set language to English UK tho or it gets messed up. Unless you speak Canadian that is.

As said above scrolling and having to tap to speak is unavoidable
This. If friend has a Canadian accent make sure it is set to
English (Canada) or English (US) ... If the friend is British/has a British accent make sure it is set on English (UK)
Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:02 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Gozit
This. If friend has a Canadian accent make sure it is set to
English (Canada) or English (US) ... If the friend is British/has a British accent make sure it is set on English (UK)
Thanks will do. There's a gadget for her to try out which makes more use of voice commands.

The accent thing is amusing. I have speech to text voice messaging on my Blackberry but it cant cope with English accents so my husband has to fake a North American accent for it to work. Same with out Garmin
Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Thanks will do. There's a gadget for her to try out which makes more use of voice commands.

The accent thing is amusing. I have speech to text voice messaging on my Blackberry but it cant cope with English accents so my husband has to fake a North American accent for it to work. Same with out Garmin
Your garmin lets you speak to it? Fancy... Ours is a bit behind that i'm afraid.

With regards to the blackberry maybe it has a similar UK English setting as well?
Old Sep 14th 2014, 4:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

The issue with Siri is that once you're in an app, it gets a bit stuck. (Google Now is the same way on Android.) Some apps it can integrate with, like Messages, so yuo can say "Send a text message to bats", and Siri will respond "What would you like to text?" and so on... but say you tell it "Open Kindle", then it will open Kindle... and then it stops, because now you're in the Kindle app, and not "in" Siri, so you then need your hand to open a book and flip the page and such.

So getting a gadget that is more meant to be 100% hands free might be a better call.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
The issue with Siri is that once you're in an app, it gets a bit stuck. (Google Now is the same way on Android.) Some apps it can integrate with, like Messages, so yuo can say "Send a text message to bats", and Siri will respond "What would you like to text?" and so on... but say you tell it "Open Kindle", then it will open Kindle... and then it stops, because now you're in the Kindle app, and not "in" Siri, so you then need your hand to open a book and flip the page and such.

So getting a gadget that is more meant to be 100% hands free might be a better call.
^
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Bats

iOS8 released today and is supposed to have a new feature in Siri which lets you activate it by saying "Hey, Siri".

I haven't downloaded or tested (I'll wait for all the bugs to be ironed out first!!) but you might want to look into it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.