Immigration process

Old Sep 4th 2006, 3:58 pm
David Messenger

David Messenger is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Immigration process

Does anyone know how long it should be before we get to hear anything from CIC in London UK, we applied in July 2004 and received our file number Sept 2004, we heard nothing until Jan 06 when we were told that our file should be looked at by Dec 06, I have been in contact with some people who have already had medicals and I know of at least one family who have already moved to Canada and they didn't apply until April 2005, can anyone help? Please.

Last edited by David Messenger; Sep 4th 2006 at 4:10 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration process

Originally Posted by David Messenger
Does anyone know how long it should be before we get to hear anything from CIC in London UK, we applied in July 2004 and received our file number Sept 2004, we heard nothing until Jan 06 when we were told that our file should be looked at by Dec 06, I have been in contact with some people who have already had medicals and I know of at least one family who have already moved to Canada and they didn't apply until April 2005, can anyone help? Please.
Hi David, have a trawl through the Immigration Forum
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
and you will see that timelines are all over the place depending on each applicants circumstance. Roughly speaking the processing of applications through the Skilled Worker route appear to have reached July/August 2004 AOR's. Lots of people have received 'update' letters looking for current photos, bank statements etc but then again many haven't. The ones ahead of the queue have all (with 1 exception that I know of) secured employment of some sort probably attached to a Work Permit or an 'Arranged Employment Opinion' from HRSDC.
Don't panic yet as you are entering the mug the postie phase which normally means that something could happen soon.
Keep the faith and pray you are not in the lazy blokes pile
Stuarty
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:27 pm
David Messenger

David Messenger is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Immigration process

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Hi David, have a trawl through the Immigration Forum
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
and you will see that timelines are all over the place depending on each applicants circumstance. Roughly speaking the processing of applications through the Skilled Worker route appear to have reached July/August 2004 AOR's. Lots of people have received 'update' letters looking for current photos, bank statements etc but then again many haven't. The ones ahead of the queue have all (with 1 exception that I know of) secured employment of some sort probably attached to a Work Permit or an 'Arranged Employment Opinion' from HRSDC.
Don't panic yet as you are entering the mug the postie phase which normally means that something could happen soon.
Keep the faith and pray you are not in the lazy blokes pile
Stuarty
Thanks for that Stuarty,
Hopefully it won't be long, we just got back from another trip to Canada 2 weeks ago and tha we have all got the blues, we want to be there yesterday.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Messenger
Thanks for that Stuarty,
Hopefully it won't be long, we just got back from another trip to Canada 2 weeks ago and tha we have all got the blues, we want to be there yesterday.
Join the club mate, its a big one.
We are luck as my wife secured a job during our visit in March and as a result (long story) we had our Medicals 3 weeks ago. We are now being held in a waiting pattern circling CIC waiting for some official to stamp our application with the passed stamp and release us from this torture. Try not to turn to drink
Stuarty
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

neekie will become famous soon enoughneekie will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Immigration process

You think you've got it bad? We applied last month under the new 'simplified' process and got a letter saying it would be 45, yes 45(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) months before our application is even looked at and then up to 3 years before it goes through. We are in for the long haul I think!!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neekie
You think you've got it bad? We applied last month under the new 'simplified' process and got a letter saying it would be 45, yes 45(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) months before our application is even looked at and then up to 3 years before it goes through. We are in for the long haul I think!!
He Neekie, IMHO the whole system is buggered due to caseload.
Do yourself a big favour and use the time wisely by getting a job secured because many of those in the know feel that the pile with those without jobs will grow forever bigger, whilst the pile with those with jobs will always get priority. It is worth remembering that Visas are allocated on an annual quota basis so when they are gone the doors shut. Doesn't take much of a leap to believe that those with jobs will take up most of the allocation leaving only scraps for the rest irrespective of how qualified they are. If you get lucky on the job front then there are shortcuts to getting there much earlier than 4 Years.
Good Luck
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

He Neekie, IMHO the whole system is buggered due to caseload.
Do yourself a big favour and use the time wisely by getting a job secured because many of those in the know feel that the pile with those without jobs will grow forever bigger, whilst the pile with those with jobs will always get priority. It is worth remembering that Visas are allocated on an annual quota basis so when they are gone the doors shut. Doesn't take much of a leap to believe that those with jobs will take up most of the allocation leaving only scraps for the rest irrespective of how qualified they are. If you get lucky on the job front then there are shortcuts to getting there much earlier than 4 Years.
Good Luck
Thanks Stuarty. Trying to network loads by email and my husband is busting a gut too but we are finding it really hard. No one replies to any emails so I think we need to get over there and show our faces. Keep 'em crossed for us.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Stuarty. Trying to network loads by email and my husband is busting a gut too but we are finding it really hard. No one replies to any emails so I think we need to get over there and show our faces. Keep 'em crossed for us.
Will do, a trip across made a huge difference to us and we both got job offers and I didn't even plan on looking for one on that trip
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Will do, a trip across made a huge difference to us and we both got job offers and I didn't even plan on looking for one on that trip
Definitely the way to go then. Hope you dont mind me asking but do you have any children and have you checked out any schools for them?
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Definitely the way to go then. Hope you dont mind me asking but do you have any children and have you checked out any schools for them?
Yes 2 boys aged 14 and 15.5. Schools seem to be fine with a bigger emphasis on vocational/academic rather that Academic only. Stats wise they seem to perform every bit as good as the ones over here and we got a full tour by the Headmaster which was impressive.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Yes 2 boys aged 14 and 15.5. Schools seem to be fine with a bigger emphasis on vocational/academic rather that Academic only. Stats wise they seem to perform every bit as good as the ones over here and we got a full tour by the Headmaster which was impressive.
Sounds promising. My girls are 6 and 8 and are very eager to go. I do think though that the longer the process and the older they get, the more they will want to stay here. Tough eh!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:07 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you'd be darned lucky to get a job by emailing randomly. Maybe if you have a particular skill that an employer is desperate for, but even if they read them, I'm sure they are not very likely to take an email seriously from someone in another country who is "thinking of moving to Canada".

What we did, and others, (and it works!) is research possible employers, then contact them by email (to a named person if you can find one out) to say you are coming out on between such and such dates, and might it be possible to arrange an informal meeting/chat. Attach a copy of your resume (CV), and then follow it up with a phone call a few days later.

Half the battle is getting people to take you seriously, but if you are prepared to go to the trouble of arranging a meeting, even if it doesn't lead directly to a job offer at that time, it might result in one at a later date. This happened in our case; we were unable to secure more than a "let us know when you are coming", but OH was working with the firm within 2 weeks of arriving in Canada, Sept 05, and is now manager of his branch.

We didn't actually book our flights until after we had arranged an interview, although we told the company we were coming out then!

You just need to get yourselves out here, resume in hand, and go looking.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Immigration process

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I am sure you'd be darned lucky to get a job by emailing randomly. Maybe if you have a particular skill that an employer is desperate for, but even if they read them, I'm sure they are not very likely to take an email seriously from someone in another country who is "thinking of moving to Canada".

What we did, and others, (and it works!) is research possible employers, then contact them by email (to a named person if you can find one out) to say you are coming out on between such and such dates, and might it be possible to arrange an informal meeting/chat. Attach a copy of your resume (CV), and then follow it up with a phone call a few days later.

Half the battle is getting people to take you seriously, but if you are prepared to go to the trouble of arranging a meeting, even if it doesn't lead directly to a job offer at that time, it might result in one at a later date. This happened in our case; we were unable to secure more than a "let us know when you are coming", but OH was working with the firm within 2 weeks of arriving in Canada, Sept 05, and is now manager of his branch.

We didn't actually book our flights until after we had arranged an interview, although we told the company we were coming out then!

You just need to get yourselves out here, resume in hand, and go looking.
Thanks for the advice. Will give it a go.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 5:04 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Hell's teeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I read that right? Almost 4 years for them to look at your application then another 3 on top of that, NEARLY 7 YEARS? :scared: I am horrified, we were going to send our application off after we'd been to Sandown next month, hubby has just said that maybe we should have applied about 2 years ago if we knew this was going to happen.

We have 5 years til he leaves the Navy and were hoping that that would give us plenty of time to sort ourselves out. Maybe things are going to have to change. Aaaarghhhh.

Karen
Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

michellej is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Immigration process

Hi David,just be patient,we are in the same boat,AOR Oct 04.All good things come to he who waits,like Gosforth pies on a friday.LOL

Michelle & Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.