Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If you don't like it - Don't do it

If you don't like it - Don't do it

Old Feb 24th 2018, 5:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you don't like it - Don't do it

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So if my VISA/AMEX card has a limit of $25,000 is it a monetary instrument when I have more than a $10,000 balance?
No, because the $10,000 isn't monetary value that you can transfer to someone else .... unused credit exceeding $10,000 would be very similar to a monetary instrument, but I still don't believe that it is.

However, a prepaid Visa card is a monetary instrument, despite there only being a hair's breadth of difference between that and a credit card with $10,000 of available credit.

Unfortunately all the definitions predate the innovations in payment technology that have come along over the past 50 years or so, since credit cards first became widely available, then debit cards in the 80's.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, because the $10,000 isn't monetary value that you can transfer to someone else .... unused credit exceeding $10,000 would be very similar to a monetary instrument, but I still don't believe that it is.

However, a prepaid Visa card is a monetary instrument, despite there only being a hair's breadth of difference between that and a credit card with $10,000 of available credit.

Unfortunately all the definitions predate the innovations in payment technology that have come along over the past 50 years or so, since credit cards first became widely available, then debit cards in the 80's.
Come on man it either is or isn't I still don't believe it is could be interpreted as you are not completely sure
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Come on man it either is or isn't ....
Agreed
.... I still don't believe it is could be interpreted as you are not completely sure. ....
In the US a credit card isn't a monetary instrument, neither to the extent it has a balance, nor to the extent it has available credit. Happy now?

I believe that the same definitions apply in both the UK and Canada, but I wouldn't stake my life on that.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the legal definition of a monetary instrument in regards to currency reporting regulations

"Monetary Instruments"
means (a) securities, including stocks, bonds, debentures and treasury bills, in bearer form or in such other form as title to them passes upon delivery; and (b) negotiable instruments in bearer form, including banker's drafts, cheques, traveller's cheques and money orders, other than
(i) warehouse receipts or bills of lading, and
(ii) negotiable instruments that bear restrictive endorsements or a stamp for the purposes of clearing or are made payable to a named person and have not been endorsed.

Of course this isn't present on the form so it leaves people guessing and perhaps thinking that the bankers draft for $15,000 doesn't need to be declared.
You were right but need to work on your self confidence when giving an answer
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
This is my 3000th post so I thought I'd use it to start and obvious but always debated subject. Why do people start the immigration process, spend a ton of money and then constantly complain about the process? It's too slow, there are too many confusing or irrelevant questions, it's too expensive, why do my qualifications have to be re-assessed? Why is cheese so expensive? Once people perhaps finally get here they moan about the weather, bureaucracy, driving, heating bills etc etc. No-one asked any of us to move here. We made the conscious decision to to make that move (not all, but most), so it is what it is. Every sovereign country has the right to determine the criteria for entry and settlement (ish), so why do people get so shirty when the process doesn't open them with open arms?
Kind of depends on how you ended up in Canada, for some of us someone did ask us to move here, granted it was only 1 person and not the government..
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Kind of depends on how you ended up in Canada, for some of us someone did ask us to move here, granted it was only 1 person and not the government..
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah but you had a choice to say No or find another wife/girlfriend
There again JT did invite those who are fleeing persecution terror and war as Canada will welcome you hence why you now see numerous people from Yorkshire now applying to come to Canada.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
Obviously you moved for the fishing
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

There will always be exceptions as the next sentence references. Even if someone or some entity actively asked you to move here, I think it unlikely a gun was held to your head. My post, however, was more aimed at the people who complain because the process for immigration doesn't favour their circumstances, therefore it's stupid or flawed.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sort of like
Me nyem is michael an' ahm from Newcassel will ah hev tuh tek an english test .
Me name is michael and Am from der pewl wul ay 'uv ter take an english test.
Oim michael an' I liv' in Burminum wull I yav ter tek an english test.
Mah nam is michael an' aam frae scootlund will Ah hae tae tak' an sassenach test.
One's name is michael and one is mwah mwah sweetie england will one has to take an english test.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:30 pm

Here is the legal definition of a monetary instrument in regards to currency reporting regulations

"Monetary Instruments"
means (a) securities, including stocks, bonds, debentures and treasury bills, in bearer form or in such other form as title to them passes upon delivery; and (b) negotiable instruments in bearer form, including banker's drafts, cheques, traveller's cheques and money orders, other than
(i) warehouse receipts or bills of lading, and
(ii) negotiable instruments that bear restrictive endorsements or a stamp for the purposes of clearing or are made payable to a named person and have not been endorsed.

Of course this isn't present on the form so it leaves people guessing ....
Right, and the problem is that, as in the US, monetary instrument is defined by giving a list of examples rather than saying much about the characteristics of what is and what is not a monetary instrument.

The definition apparently means things that have value in their existence that can be transferred, but the concept of Visa gift card hadn't been through of back then. ..... But when all is said and done, a draft or bill of exchange only represents the value which is actually stored somewhere else entirely, just like a Visa gift card, .... and as was a bank note back in the day when bank notes were backed by gold or silver .... but they're "cash", not monetary instruments!

Clear now?
Old Feb 24th 2018, 8:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

But Im guessing that the forms that Canadians fill out to emigrate to the UK are very clear and concise so the need for a consultant or lawyer is never needed.
I assume the UK meets all its processing times and targets and you never hear any complaints about the system
I've no idea, but that wasn't the question was it.

I'll bet there's a better complaints/appeals procedure in the UK though, along with some accountability.

I'm absolutely certain that writing to an MP in the UK doesn't mean they just pass it on and allow the government department to send out a form letter and that's the end of it.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've no idea, but that wasn't the question was it.

I'll bet there's a better complaints/appeals procedure in the UK though, along with some accountability.

I'm absolutely certain that writing to an MP in the UK doesn't mean they just pass it on and allow the government department to send out a form letter and that's the end of it.
Canada has a very robust appeals and complaints mechanism for those who have had applications denied for a variety of reasons by a visa officer overseas or by IRCC. Would it surprise you that CBSA is the responsible Agency for dealing with appeals
Now granted it can take 2 years for an appeal to be heard due to a shortage of Immigration Appeal members who hear cases.
Most of the complaints I see on the Immigration forum is lack of acknowledgement by IRCC that an application has been received and what stage it is at and that the My CIC is not updated on a regular basis. IRCC have targets and processing time standards. I can guarantee you from BE members who post on here and went through the system were under the processing times. Yes I have also seen some horror stories but overall they are just a small percentage.
Expecting a Canadian MP to have any pull is also somewhat of a myth though on the odd occasion it happens.
Its far from a perfect system but it works better than other countries have.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...I believe that those who don't settle, aren't happy, and generally like to complain about life in Canada are more likely to join BE and whinge about things.
I'm not so sure about that. It may well be that people are already familiar with BE - lurkers, for example - and then come on to moan when expectations aren't met but I can't imagine that someone who wants to complain would actually seek out a resource like BE to do so.

That would only make sense if they were seeking confirmation bias and we have enough contrary opinions on this kind of stuff for it not to be so.

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
T...I was thinking more of the people that somehow blame the immigration process for not welcoming them with open arms - "I'm British, what do you mean I can't just sign something and move over?".
I must admit that thought often occurs to me when new posters say things like they've decided to move to Canada. Admittedly they may well have citizenship or something that makes it easy, but it doesn't always sound like it.
I suppose it surprises me how many assume they are, by dint of being British, entitled to move wherever and whenever they like.
There is that feeling too sometimes but I'm not so sure that it's being British so much as being part of the Commonwealth.

I mean, does no-one ever wonder what the point of the Commonwealth is if there isn't some sort of mutual practical advantage for its citizens?

It's older than the EU where citizens of member states have freedom of movement and cannot be discriminated against in matters of employment.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm not so sure about that. It may well be that people are already familiar with BE - lurkers, for example - and then come on to moan when expectations aren't met but I can't imagine that someone who wants to complain would actually seek out a resource like BE to do so. ......
I was thinking almost the opposite - those who are enjoying life in their new home country aren't joining expat bulletin boards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.