Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If Spring Break is bad......how will I cope with 10 weeks of summer?

If Spring Break is bad......how will I cope with 10 weeks of summer?

Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Spring Break is bad......how will I cope with 10 weeks of summer?

After you have made it through the teenage years, the next thing comes with a 14 year old granddaughter who, while she doesn't know how to drive - knows that if she did know how to drive, she would be a much better driver than you!!

I didn't pay all that much attention until the day about six weeks ago when I was driving her to school and we came to an intersection where I had to cross six lanes - three each way with a median in between and the lights changed to orange and she said "don't stop" and, not thinking, I paid attention to what she had said and just about got creamed by the traffic going the other way - on the green light of course -- now I am far more aware and I totally ignore her "driving instructions."
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:32 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Spring Break is bad......how will I cope with 10 weeks of summer?

Originally Posted by lizwil98
After you have made it through the teenage years, the next thing comes with a 14 year old granddaughter who, while she doesn't know how to drive - knows that if she did know how to drive, she would be a much better driver than you!!

I didn't pay all that much attention until the day about six weeks ago when I was driving her to school and we came to an intersection where I had to cross six lanes - three each way with a median in between and the lights changed to orange and she said "don't stop" and, not thinking, I paid attention to what she had said and just about got creamed by the traffic going the other way - on the green light of course -- now I am far more aware and I totally ignore her "driving instructions."
oooh classic- bless her!!

and obviously when she starts driving she will be the best!! In her opinion - what the insurers say is another story . . .
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:40 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Easter is not to bad this year for us as it lands on 2 of theres birthdays, so the long weekend is coming in handy

But the 2 weeks in april is being sorted with a recci, so that means 1 week at home whilst im trying to pack and then 2 weeks in canada
so really 3 weeks with 3 kids, well 4 if you count my hubby

I like 8pm at night, all in bed and me in bath
Thats until one of them gets up and sits next to the bath nagging to me, O THE joys of kids
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:59 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
Easter is not to bad this year for us as it lands on 2 of theres birthdays, so the long weekend is coming in handy

But the 2 weeks in april is being sorted with a recci, so that means 1 week at home whilst im trying to pack and then 2 weeks in canada
so really 3 weeks with 3 kids, well 4 if you count my hubby

I like 8pm at night, all in bed and me in bath
Thats until one of them gets up and sits next to the bath nagging to me, O THE joys of kids
Or when they get older and still seemt to be in the living room at 9pm!!!
and moaning that what you are watching is not what her friends will be watching and she wont be able to discuss it at school tomorrow!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Poppy2
.....................I love my kids, but really, today was an afternoon too long and it isnt even over!

Between the puppy getting remarkably random in her deposits and us getting totally out of sync with her going outside. The kids are doing remarkably daft things, even for them! Like stacking up glasses to make towers.....and I get there just before the 2 foot tall tower is spotted by the 20 month old demolition expert...................

One minute they play so nicely, then the next its like a rugby scrum with the puppy and the 20 month old somewhere in the middle. I want a Tazer gun, a cattle prod - something! I resort to afternoon baths, lots of toys, bubbles and towels. When is it my turn?

Oh! the noise! The bickering! The *why is my sock wet?* as they have walked all the way over the room to show you, wet footprints everywhere! The door bell goes, I am in no mood to make *nice*, and those kids like a herd run towards the door to see who it is.............can I not ignore the door even??

I am ready for a dark room and a mudslide of the Vodka kind.................
Totally know where you're coming from. My kids squabble over absolutely everything. They think I was put on this planet to pick up after them. Think they get it off their dad. We are thinking of moving to Halifax or New Glasgow but have never been before. Is Halifax a good place to live?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:27 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
Totally know where you're coming from. My kids squabble over absolutely everything. They think I was put on this planet to pick up after them. Think they get it off their dad. We are thinking of moving to Halifax or New Glasgow but have never been before. Is Halifax a good place to live?
All mums become a taxi service - although as mine are staying out later now I cant have that nice glass of wine with dinner as I have to go out and play chauffeur!! C;est la vie - lost a bit of weight
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:32 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
Well we have only been here for 2 months, but so far it is great. We had never been before, but we had lived for 4 years in the back of beyond in New Zealand, so I see that as a cultural detox of a sort. But still, it ticks all our boxes!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:49 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Thread = Why does anyone have kids?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:14 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windward
Thread = Why does anyone have kids?
Because if people didnt have children - there wouldnt be people like ourselves, who are able to sit at computers, ponder our lives and want more for ourselves. Its because someone thought to have you, that you are able to ask why.

I had my children because I beleive I was born to be their mother and I am proud to be just that. If you mistake a thread like this to mean that women dont like the choice they have made, then thats honetly not the case. I just dont know how tolerant people would be to the *Wow my kids are so wonderful* kinds of threads , thats a whole 'nother forum which I am not a member of.

But you read the whole thread to come to your reply................

Childless man replies to 3 page thread about kids = too much time on your hands?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:51 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Because if people didnt have children - there wouldnt be people like ourselves, who are able to sit at computers, ponder our lives and want more for ourselves. Its because someone thought to have you, that you are able to ask why.

I had my children because I beleive I was born to be their mother and I am proud to be just that. If you mistake a thread like this to mean that women dont like the choice they have made, then thats honetly not the case. I just dont know how tolerant people would be to the *Wow my kids are so wonderful* kinds of threads , thats a whole 'nother forum which I am not a member of.

But you read the whole thread to come to your reply................

Childless man replies to 3 page thread about kids = too much time on your hands?
lol! Actually I do have far too much time on my hands -_-

Thought my question would remind you lot why you did have your babies
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I love my kids. I was heartbroken the day each of them started to school - I think that they start far too young in the UK. I like it when they are at home. I hate it when the holidays end. I love doing things with them. I am prepared to move to another continent to give them a better life

However....

I have been known to moan about them, they are not angels and we have bad days. There are times when I just need them out from under my feet for an hour. None of this means that I would change them or one minute of my life with them.

I suspect that the OP, and most other mothers can share my sentiment.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I love my kids. I was heartbroken the day each of them started to school - I think that they start far too young in the UK. I like it when they are at home. I hate it when the holidays end. I love doing things with them. I am prepared to move to another continent to give them a better life

However....

I have been known to moan about them, they are not angels and we have bad days. There are times when I just need them out from under my feet for an hour. None of this means that I would change them or one minute of my life with them.

I suspect that the OP, and most other mothers can share my sentiment.
It sounds exactly like immigration. We may be perfectly happy here and would never go back, but it doesn't mean we aren't allowed to complain about marmite and orange squash
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
It sounds exactly like immigration. We may be perfectly happy here and would never go back, but it doesn't mean we aren't allowed to complain about marmite and orange squash
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:54 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

TOP TIP FROM BEHAVIORAL EXPERTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are told in my line of work, never tell a kid not to do something, explain the behavior that you want.

E.g: Billy for gods sake stop screetching like a mad thing

change to

Billy can you use your indoor voice please

It really works you know! The kids don't feel like they are bad kids, you explain to the exactly what you want from them, you don't feel like you have turned in to your mother, you avoid AA meetings, and your husband may even get sex once a week!

OOps - I am sure that was too informative, anyway you get the point and honestly it works. Also forward planning, house contract (rules) for the 3/4 + age range, rewards for positive behavior, ignore the other stuff or deal with it consistently, and if all else fails - adoption......

I am a single mum most of the time, and techniques like this really work. Along with going with the flow and remembering to be kind to yourself.

GOOD LUCK AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU FOR SPRING BREAK!

All the best to the parents
Mrs Miggins xxxx
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:41 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

MrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really nice

.....................I love my kids, but really, today was an afternoon too long and it isnt even over!

Between the puppy getting remarkably random in her deposits and us getting totally out of sync with her going outside. The kids are doing remarkably daft things, even for them! Like stacking up glasses to make towers.....and I get there just before the 2 foot tall tower is spotted by the 20 month old demolition expert...................

One minute they play so nicely, then the next its like a rugby scrum with the puppy and the 20 month old somewhere in the middle. I want a Tazer gun, a cattle prod - something! I resort to afternoon baths, lots of toys, bubbles and towels. When is it my turn?

Oh! the noise! The bickering! The *why is my sock wet?* as they have walked all the way over the room to show you, wet footprints everywhere! The door bell goes, I am in no mood to make *nice*, and those kids like a herd run towards the door to see who it is.............can I not ignore the door even??

I am ready for a dark room and a mudslide of the Vodka kind.................
I'm right there with you!! Had a mare of a day too and mudslides are my fav. I'll have 10 with you!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.