Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If Spring Break is bad......how will I cope with 10 weeks of summer?

If Spring Break is bad......how will I cope with 10 weeks of summer?

Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:07 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Spring Break is bad......how will I cope with 10 weeks of summer?

When you have kids the days can seem long, but believe me the years are short. Enjoy them while you can.

Two years ago our youngest was away with friends camping and nearly drowned in a swimming accident. This is a really sobering experience for us as parents. It was pretty traumatic for her too.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Spring Break is bad......how will I cope with 10 weeks of summer?

Originally Posted by Poppy2
.....................I love my kids, but really, today was an afternoon too long and it isnt even over!

Between the puppy getting remarkably random in her deposits and us getting totally out of sync with her going outside. The kids are doing remarkably daft things, even for them! Like stacking up glasses to make towers.....and I get there just before the 2 foot tall tower is spotted by the 20 month old demolition expert...................

One minute they play so nicely, then the next its like a rugby scrum with the puppy and the 20 month old somewhere in the middle. I want a Tazer gun, a cattle prod - something! I resort to afternoon baths, lots of toys, bubbles and towels. When is it my turn?

Oh! the noise! The bickering! The *why is my sock wet?* as they have walked all the way over the room to show you, wet footprints everywhere! The door bell goes, I am in no mood to make *nice*, and those kids like a herd run towards the door to see who it is.............can I not ignore the door even??

I am ready for a dark room and a mudslide of the Vodka kind.................

With all the snow we've had tonight, at least you will be able to send them outside to build snowmen tomorrow
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:54 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
With all the snow we've had tonight, at least you will be able to send them outside to build snowmen tomorrow
Why wait until tomorrow - they were out for an hour this evening, didnt get to bed until 10.30! They made a huge snowman and had a good snowball fight. I got to sit inside and do my Cover Letter and new Resume, so all went well.................tomorrow more snow fun, that I can watch from the comfort of the sofa!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:15 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Look on the bright side, you will be used to it by the time they are off for Easter
You see that's the bright side, they are only off on the Friday & Monday
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:21 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
What is this Spring Break of which you speak?? But I'll join you for that vodka, regardless
Perhaps called Easter break in Cochrane it's March 21 - 28 this year.

So your turn is coming.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Perhaps called Easter break in Cochrane it's March 21 - 28 this year.

So your turn is coming.
Mmm, I'm aware my little angels will play havoc with my sanity threshold very soon, but what about the OP? - if hers are off school now for a Spring Break, are they not off school again for Easter
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:28 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

but what about the OP? - if hers are off school now for a Spring Break, are they not off school again for Easter
Most likely just the Easter weekend.

A number of years ago the Calgary Board of Education moved to a fixed Spring Break but it seems to have been forgotten in the last few years and moved back to being tied to Easter.

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 13th 2008 at 4:30 am.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I would but I am rubbish at lying, I always get caught out !
Why lie? There are no kids in prison
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:53 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, I'm aware my little angels will play havoc with my sanity threshold very soon, but what about the OP? - if hers are off school now for a Spring Break, are they not off school again for Easter
They are off just for the Friday and the Monday......and THATS too much if you ask me! Nevermind, there are floors to wash and beds to make....mwahahahaha!!!!!!!

".........Its a hard enough life, for us,
Its a hard enough life for us................"

" We love you MIss Hannigan! "
Attached Thumbnails If Spring Break is bad......how will I cope with 10 weeks of summer?-anniehan1.jpg  
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:53 am
NS covern member #1

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Why lie? There are no kids in prison

True........but ya never know and it would be just my luck!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:17 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Kids at school at mo - so thats fab - but the dogs are driving me round the bend!"!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Spring Break here has been tied in with Easter this year for the first time in our 3.5 years. So they get the Friday off before Easter then the whole of the following week.

I love having my son home - but I think that's because he's a singleton - so I don't have to put up with sibling arguments etc.

We usually do the museum and farm visits this break (alpacas being the favourites), go somewhere scenic to get in some drawing practice (both of us!) if the weather's good enough, and then he gets reaquainted with his bike and skateboard if the roads are clear - football with the neighbours kids etc. That, plus playdates, and the occasional visit to the dvd rental stores means it goes quite quickly for me and I'm always sorry to see the back of him.

However, my work is flexible! So I can usually take time off or rearrange schedules during the school breaks which, I know, makes it a lot easy for me.

Don't think I'd be so relaxed about it if I had to juggle stuff and not give him so much attention.

I wanted 3 kids - got 1 - so maybe the big man in the sky gave me break afterall
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

just to make you feel better, heard on the radio this morning that March break might be extended and schools closed on Monday if we get the other storm heading this way the weekend.
Better go stock up on the vodka

.....................I love my kids, but really, today was an afternoon too long and it isnt even over!

Between the puppy getting remarkably random in her deposits and us getting totally out of sync with her going outside. The kids are doing remarkably daft things, even for them! Like stacking up glasses to make towers.....and I get there just before the 2 foot tall tower is spotted by the 20 month old demolition expert...................

One minute they play so nicely, then the next its like a rugby scrum with the puppy and the 20 month old somewhere in the middle. I want a Tazer gun, a cattle prod - something! I resort to afternoon baths, lots of toys, bubbles and towels. When is it my turn?

Oh! the noise! The bickering! The *why is my sock wet?* as they have walked all the way over the room to show you, wet footprints everywhere! The door bell goes, I am in no mood to make *nice*, and those kids like a herd run towards the door to see who it is.............can I not ignore the door even??

I am ready for a dark room and a mudslide of the Vodka kind.................
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:55 pm
NS covern member #1

Originally Posted by val50
just to make you feel better, heard on the radio this morning that March break might be extended and schools closed on Monday if we get the other storm heading this way the weekend.
Better go stock up on the vodka

Listen - I will provide the vodka if you want to come over and help! I know you must be at a loose end..........

I love my brood, I am clearly having mid Spring Break madness! From now on I will be all sad they are going back. And I am just getting into the lie ins.....something I could get real good at in 10 weeks of summer! So there is a silver lining!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:26 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Listen - I will provide the vodka if you want to come over and help! I know you must be at a loose end..........

I love my brood, I am clearly having mid Spring Break madness! From now on I will be all sad they are going back. And I am just getting into the lie ins.....something I could get real good at in 10 weeks of summer! So there is a silver lining!
its nice when they are old enought o bring you tea and toast in bed and go and get you a magazine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.