Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How well do you know the United Kingdom?

How well do you know the United Kingdom?

Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:45 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well do you know the United Kingdom?

5 in the Irish
10 in the Welsh
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:56 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Does this quiz really matter if you are now living in Canada?
If you have UK citizenship then who really gives a toss as they can't take it away from you if you fail the quiz.
Im betting there are people who have lived in a city or county in England and never been outside it. I bet the odd one also asks if they need a passport to go to Wales or Scotland though the Scotland one could become a reality if they win their independence vote and introduced passport entry rules.
Don't you mean Americans, and to some extent Canadians.
A far larger majority of British are more worldly and well travelled.
North Americans have a tendency to be blinkered, in many cases the world goes no further than the State border. No need for a Passport!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
North Americans have a tendency to be blinkered, in many cases the world goes no further than the State border. No need for a Passport!
Yeah but the quiz is about how well do you know the UK and I suspect that the vast majority of Yanks and Canucks and various other nationalities really dont give a toss about how well they know the UK.
I think the quiz was aimed at UK residents as opposed to a world audience otherwise they could have had the same quiz How well do you know Syria or Botswana perhaps.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I think the quiz was aimed at UK residents as opposed to a world audience otherwise they could have had the same quiz How well do you know Syria or Botswana perhaps.
ffs, what sort of people in Syria or Botswana do you think read the Daily Telegraph?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
ffs, what sort of people in Syria or Botswana do you think read the Daily Telegraph?
Maybe the odd Brit Sort of goes to prove my point that the quiz was aimed at UK residents so the Yanks and Canadians can feel secure about their perceived lack of geography and culture awareness.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:39 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

It's in the Telegraph, in Britain, marking the start of a British show. It's audience is expected to be living in Britain! It's really only the Web bringing it elsewhere.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's in the Telegraph, in Britain, marking the start of a British show. It's audience is expected to be living in Britain! It's really only the Web bringing it elsewhere.
Quite. I don't see how Americans and Canadians are involved at all. I expect they have their own quizes; about slavery and snow and such.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

But even an average Canadian like me got %47, same as a lot of the expats (world travellers that you are). That doesn't say much for your knowledge of your own area. Post a Canadian quiz on here and I'll blow you out of the water, but possibly because I finished highschool in '72, just before our educational system went to the dogs.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
Quite. I don't see how Americans and Canadians are involved at all. I expect they have their own quizes; about slavery and snow and such.
We have its called the Citizenship test which any doofus can pass
However the new Citizenship test is causing problems and certain immigrant groups are asking for it to be redone as its too hard and now some are failing.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:16 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Originally Posted by caretaker
But even an average Canadian like me got %47, same as a lot of the expats (world travellers that you are). That doesn't say much for your knowledge of your own area. Post a Canadian quiz on here and I'll blow you out of the water, but possibly because I finished highschool in '72, just before our educational system went to the dogs.
But your on a BRITISH Expats website, so you obviously have something more than the average Joe, who believes "your from England, you must know my cousin Frank"!!!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

But your on a BRITISH Expats website, so you obviously have something more than the average Joe, who believes "your from England, you must know my cousin Frank"!!!
No, I've never been to the UK, have no plans to go there, only know a handfull of people from there, (and don't necessarily get along with all of them), don't go to the Irish pubs in Regina, and though I have a niece in England I never communicate with her. (Chris, in Putney, know her?). My paternal grandmother was born in England but I think I only met her once as a toddler and have no memory of her. Because I carp fish I've come into contact with some British people, but I don't believe that helped me score a paltry %47 on the quiz.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:22 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Originally Posted by caretaker
No, I've never been to the UK, have no plans to go there, only know a handfull of people from there, (and don't necessarily get along with all of them), don't go to the Irish pubs in Regina, and though I have a niece in England I never communicate with her. (Chris, in Putney, know her?). My paternal grandmother was born in England but I think I only met her once as a toddler and have no memory of her. Because I carp fish I've come into contact with some British people, but I don't believe that helped me score a paltry %47 on the quiz.
Well you deserve an honorary Brit award for your 47%!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I took a look at the Irish and Welsh quizzes and didn't even try, too hard.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:03 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

87% pour moi...tbh some of the question towards then end were bottom of the barrel questions or put in there knowing most people wouldn't know the answer thus making a ropey point of how poor people know the UK.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap - I got 100%. I want to feel all smug and superior but in all honesty I'd say that 50% of my answers were total lucky guesses...not even "educated" ones - complete and utter flukes... Think I'll go and buy a lottery ticket today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.