Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How much is a comma worth? $5 million

How much is a comma worth? $5 million

Old Feb 12th 2018, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much is a comma worth? $5 million

Now I know that we have the spelling police and the punctuation police on here at times which can be a bit of fun or deadly serious to some.
Here is an interesting article about the use or lack of use of the Oxford comma.
A $5-million overtime dispute in Maine hinged entirely on the lack of an Oxford comma | National Post

I wonder what the lawyers fee's were and how much this case cost overall besides the 5 million settlement?

Pedantic's feel free to correct my post but then ask yourself DILLIGAF.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:07 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is a comma worth? $5 million

I'm assuming that mistake was deliberate.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I'm assuming that mistake was deliberate.
When I first heard about the case a few months ago, I read that Maine legislation explicitly eschews the Oxford comma. As is beautifully demonstrated in the case, the addition or absence of a comma can substantially change the meaning of a sentence with a list in it.

That said, the legislation could have been better worded, for example with numbers or bullets to mark each distinct item in the list, and avoid the risk of adjacent items being incorrectly coalesced into single items on the list. I hear that the legislation has been redrafted with semi-colons to demarcate items in the list.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
When I first heard about the case a few months ago, I read that Maine legislation explicitly eschews the Oxford comma. As is beautifully demonstrated in the case, the addition or absence of a comma can substantially change the meaning of a sentence with a list in it.

That said, the legislation could have been better worded, for example with numbers or bullets to mark each distinct item in the list, and avoid the risk of adjacent items being incorrectly coalesced into single items on the list. I hear that the legislation has been redrafted with semi-colons to demarcate items in the list.
I do love a good semi-colon.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I work with a doctor now with his fancy Oxford education whose grammar has to be the worst I've encountered in ages. He inserts commas in the most bizarre places and starts new paragraphs in the middle of a subject. It drives me absolutely mad.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Originally Posted by Dorothy
I do love a good semi-colon. ....
Is that the same as loving good colon?
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:59 pm
Still alive

Is that the same as loving good colon?
Stupid phone. I was trying to reply while on the train and BE got hung up when we went through the last tunnel into the city.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Pedantic's feel free to correct my post but then ask yourself DILLIGAF.
Pedant.

Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

New wording of the legislation.

The canning; processing; preserving; freezing; drying; marketing; storing; packing for shipment; or distributing of:

Would have been possibly interesting if this had gone to court to see how the courts would have ruled, but I am sure that would have cost the company more in the long run, easier to settle and make the problem go away.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:57 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

This thread reminded me of a similar one...
Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
This thread reminded me of a similar one...
Massively long thread that one
Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:29 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Massively long thread that one
It was more about the very similar subject than about the number of responses!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Mizuho Securities Co. lost at least 27 billion yen ($225 million) on a stock trade due to a typing error.

Typing Error Causes $225M Loss at Tokyo Stock Exchange | Fox News
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
It was more about the very similar subject than about the number of responses!
I understood that. I was very surprised to see that it was closed so quickly. Were you and Judy in Calgary naughty?