Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How do you persuade........................?

How do you persuade........................?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:17 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do you persuade........................?

Hey that is fanastic news gaynor

Hey who said it wouldnt snow last night

Gill
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:23 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Great news! So pleased for you.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
UPDATE :::

Well the auntie phone call to tell mom that she had to come really worked.

She flies in Jun 29th for 4 weeks - 10 weeks and 5 days and counting

Gaynor
Hi Gaynor

What fantastic news Your aunt's call certainly did the trick

I bet you have a big smile on your face now

Jo
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Gaynor

Glad to hear the phone call from your Auntie did the trick and that your Mum has decided to come out for a visit.

Lynne
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Excellent news, Gaynor!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:45 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Great news am going to try the Auntie thing with my mother who also refuses to come over, she has Rhuematoid Arthritus so has difficulty walking but I keep telling her that's no excuse - get a wheelchair I said
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

great news - I missed the earlier part of this thread and was about to throw my $0.02 into the hat when I saw your post saying your aunt's phone call worked! Roll on end of June
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:02 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

That is fantastic news, you must be so happy!

I hope she enjoys her time here and books up again as soon as she gets home
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:09 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE :::

Well the auntie phone call to tell mom that she had to come really worked.

She flies in Jun 29th for 4 weeks - 10 weeks and 5 days and counting

Gaynor
Woo hoo! I'm so happy to hear that, Gaynor.
x
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Gaynor - that's lovely to hear.

Now - you do know you are not allowed to come back on here before, during or after her visit to complain about your guests !! You do understand that having your mum in your house for a whole month is supposed to be wonderful, annoying, lovely and frustrating - all at the same time

Have fun - and I hope she really likes it ....
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Four weeks you know the old saying "be careful what you wish for"

Nah only joking - that's great news Gay, you must be dancing for joy.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

4 weeks should be good for us - we all have a really good relationship with my parents as we lived 5 minutes away in the UK.

Wont be too bad as my auntie lives in the same town as me so my mom and her will also be spending quite a bit of time with each other and then there are my cousins etc - so should be bearable.

Gaynor
x
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

How do you persuade parents to visit you ???

This is a huge dilemma for me and at the moment is making me extremely unhappy with my life and everything around me, making me lose sleep and have a total lack of concentration for most things.

A few oldies on here will remember that I had horrendous problems with my mom when we announced we were coming to live in Canada - to the point that we never spoke for over a month and only got back to "normal" in the last few weeks before i came for good. Over the past 8 months whilst I have been here we have slowly built up a better relationship and she is now quite used to the fact that we dont see each other every day.

Last weekend I decided to ask her when she was coming out for a visit because I fancied a nice chat and coffee - mainly to hear her slag my step dad off for doing something stupid (like it usually is ).

She has said that she doesnt know when she will be able to come and see us as she doesnt know how she will cope with having to leave us when she goes home to the UK and that it will break her heart and put her back to when we first came out here ie downright depressed and lonely.

Sat here typing this brings tears to my eyes as I just dont know how I can get her out here and wondered if anyone has another approach for me

All I want is to see my mom and stepdad

G
x
K I MISSED THE PART WHERE YOU SAID SHE HAD BOOKED....this was my response anyway

If you can, why not treat her this year - pay the flight, tell her its booked, and hopefully she'll accept, come out and like the place and want to come more often??

We had the same problem, father in law came out first year for a month and swore he would never be back because it was too hard to say goodbye again......he mised one year and has been over every year since then. So it worked out in the end.

It doesnt help the fact that saying goodbye is really difficult, i find the longer i've been away the harder the goodbyes become. But our families alwyays say each year they come out it makes them happy to see how well we have settled, how happy we are in life out here

Just make sure when she gets out here you get lots of great memories, lots of photographs, even make her an album to take back home so she can look at those memories every day and hopefully it will make her want to come out every summer

Last edited by dawnzocalgary; Apr 16th 2008 at 3:43 am. Reason: just plain stupid