Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Housing Market in Canada

Housing Market in Canada

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing Market in Canada

Originally Posted by bc_guy
No, I'm not moving there, at least not any time soon. Assuming that my pathway to PR remains viable once I'm in Canada, I'd still be stuck in northern BC's fast food industry for the next 5 years or so. But the cities of Canada's Tech Triangle are on my top 10 list of cities I'd live in if I was a Canadian citizen. Therefore, I don't like the idea of it being financially inaccessible for scientific enthusiasts like myself. Waterloo is like the Canadian equivalent of Boulder, Colorado if you exclude Boulder's severely inflated property market with typical houses costing over $500,000. I'd hate to see any part of the tech triangle become like Boulder property-wise.
I worked in Boulder, "The Republic of" as the rest of the State calls it. I don't see how it's in any way comparable to Waterloo. There's no Octoberfest in Boulder and, pretty much, everyone in Boulder speaks English. Meanwhile, in Waterloo, bio-diesel is almost unheard of, it's not being stewed in every backyard.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing Market in Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
I worked in Boulder, "The Republic of" as the rest of the State calls it. I don't see how it's in any way comparable to Waterloo. There's no Octoberfest in Boulder and, pretty much, everyone in Boulder speaks English. Meanwhile, in Waterloo, bio-diesel is almost unheard of, it's not being stewed in every backyard.
I was talking more about the scientific aspects of both cities. Both are hubs for all kinds of new scientific ideas and innovations and both of these towns attract many scientifically-oriented people. Both towns have different areas of scientific specialty but I think Waterloo is pretty close to encompassing all the different fields of research. As long as Canada's Technology Triangle keeps attracting more investors and innovators, there will soon come a time when the sum of all its institutes and think tanks surpasses and becomes an overwhelming superset of Boulder's. Meanwhile, it seems like Boulder is way more progressive than Waterloo as far as social issues are concerned. But where else in Canada can one find such a place with a high density of scientific research and innovation embedded in the town's subcultures.

In both cities, there's just so much innovation, learning, sharing of ideas and application of new knowledge occurring in such a tiny space with very few people. The concentration of science geeks seems to be really high in both cities and that's sort of my scene. Yes, I know that I'm going to work at a low-paying restaurant job in what's probably a backwater northern BC mining town. But somebody like me has to do what's necessary in order to get into Canada so that I can acquire the means necessary for unlocking my full potential later on.