Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Household product is a bug bite remedy?

Household product is a bug bite remedy?

Old Apr 28th 2012, 8:41 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Household product is a bug bite remedy?

Not that I'm recommending doing this to a bug bite (so please don't!)...

...However, last week, something, perhaps a mosquito or a flea, bit me on the underside of my right forearm and, I suppose, the bite was infected and I got a lovely volcano-like swelling as a result.

Yesterday afternoon I accidentally scratched said volcano and, as you know, when you scratch a bug bite it becomes painful and very, very itchy.

I couldn't find any "Afterbite". Then, on remembering that Afterbite is just ammonia, I recalled that Windex has ammonia in it.

So I sprayed some Windex on the bite.

It stopped itching after a couple of minutes and I just noticed that the volcano has now gone and there's just a small red spot left where it was. It's not itchy at all, either
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:40 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Household product is a bug bite remedy?

Originally Posted by Greenhill

...However, last week, something, perhaps a mosquito or a flea, bit me on the underside of my right forearm and, I suppose, the bite was infected and I got a lovely volcano-like swelling as a result.

Yesterday afternoon I accidentally scratched said volcano and, as you know, when you scratch a bug bite it becomes painful and very, very itchy.

I couldn't find any "Afterbite". Then, on remembering that Afterbite is just ammonia, I recalled that Windex has ammonia in it.

It stopped itching after a couple of minutes and I just noticed that the volcano has now gone and there's just a small red spot left where it was. It's not itchy at all, either
You must have watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I definately seen that on a film. The mother or father in law was armed at all times with a bottle, and used it as a miracle cure for everything, lol.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the wonderful world of chemistry.

Most bugs, e.g ants, secrete acids in their saliva (not sure that's that right word). In the case of ants it's formic acid. Ants are called "fourmis" in French for a reason.

Ammonia will turn the acid into a salt (e.g. ammonium formate in the case of ants). The acid doesn't care how much you paid for the ammonia.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:53 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

No, but I wish I had watched it now.

Looks like I was last to get the memo on this one

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
You must have watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Yeah, I definately seen that on a film. The mother or father in law was armed at all times with a bottle, and used it as a miracle cure for everything, lol.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:05 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

You know the reason (and I'm sure you do), that I failed my chemistry O level was because the kids I sat next to, kept filling the sink with whatever chemicals they were given by the teacher.

Then one of them would throw the fully-flaming bunsen burner in, each time proving their new chemical concoction was extremely flammable.

(The last time I spoke to them, one had just quit his Phd and another was working as a school teacher )

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Welcome to the wonderful world of chemistry.

Most bugs, e.g ants, secrete acids in their saliva (not sure that's that right word). In the case of ants it's formic acid. Ants are called "fourmis" in French for a reason.

Ammonia will turn the acid into a salt (e.g. ammonium formate in the case of ants). The acid doesn't care how much you paid for the ammonia.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 1:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You know the reason (and I'm sure you do), that I failed my chemistry O level was because the kids I sat next to, kept filling the sink with whatever chemicals they were given by the teacher.

Then one of them would throw the fully-flaming bunsen burner in, each time proving their new chemical concoction was extremely flammable.

(The last time I spoke to them, one had just quit his Phd and another was working as a school teacher )
Ah, that brings back memories. I think the main reason I ended up as a chemistry student (and all that followed) was one time in sixth form when my lab partner and I were making gun powder in class. We were a bit short of carbon for the recipe, so my mate (now a very senior surgeon in the UK) came up with the idea of burning a wooden ruler to make up the difference.

Great idea: but it would have been sensible to wait until the embers had died out before mixing it with the rest.

We actually melted a sink and scorched the ceiling. But the teacher (Mr. McDonald, bless his heart), just raised his eyebrow and said " Could you please use smaller quantities in future?" I was sold.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:35 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

so , is it safe to use windex on ones skin on a bug bite then?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:05 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

wouldn't Windex have some other stuff in it that probably isn't good for the skin?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:21 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I found a new use for windex too last week.

A client of mine wanted a new wheeled "walker". It turns out the main problem with hers ( that tightening a few screws couldn't fix) was that the hand grips had fallen apart.

So I got her some replacements, but I had to get the old ones off. Her neighbour had tried to fix it for her by wrapping the worn grips with some several feet of insulating tape, which when I removed it resulted in a horrid black sticky mess.

Enter WINDEX, which luckily she had in her cleaning supplies.
It successfully cleaned all the residue off the handles, and lubricated sufficiently to slide the new grips on, then I used it to clean all the black stickiness off my hands, washing them afterwards with plain soap and water.

Good old Windex!!!!! ...

Edit: I'm thinking of trying it on my ceramic hob next!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Apr 29th 2012 at 2:23 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:23 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
wouldn't Windex have some other stuff in it that probably isn't good for the skin?
I have a bottle in the laundry room, the ingredients are listed as "Water, Carriers, Cleaning agents, Wetting agent, Fragrance and Dye #14*14153".

Sounds pretty harmless to me. I wouldn't be taking a bath in it though.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea: but it would have been sensible to wait until the embers had died out before mixing it with the rest.
Sorry ‘bout the hijack but similar happened to me. At about 13 years old I made a tobacco can full on the kitchen table while my parents sat in the living room. I lit a tiny pinch in an ashtray to make sure it worked and a bit sputtered up and into the can. Burnt circle on table, through placemat, scorched ceiling, house full of acrid smoke and more trouble than I‘d bargained for. Failed chemistry several years later regardless..
Some types of mud will stop swelling and pain from bites, it must have some of the right chemicals in it.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:38 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

The Windex (original glass cleaner) MSDS states:

Immediate Concerns : Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing

Potential Health Effects
Exposure routes : Eye, Skin, Inhalation, Ingestion.
Eyes : None known.
Skin : None known.
Inhalation : None known.
Ingestion : None known.
Aggravated Medical Condition : None known

Eye contact : Rinse with plenty of water. Get medical attention if irritation
develops and persists.
Skin contact : Rinse with plenty of water.
Inhalation : Remove to fresh air.
Ingestion : No special requirements

Advice on safe handling : KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS.
Use only as directed.
Advice on protection against fire and explosion : Keep away from heat and sources of ignition

I've cleaned enough windows with the stuff to know that my skin isn't affected by it. So I'll try it this year as a remedy (just on me, though) and let you know how it goes.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:52 pm
Born again atheist

I've cleaned enough windows with the stuff to know that my skin isn't affected by it. So I'll try it this year as a remedy (just on me, though) and let you know how it goes.
What if it kills you?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:03 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

I'm pretty sure my foolish experiments with electricity will kill me before the Windex does.

(However, if I do go missing from here, check the local newspaper (ngnews) for bizarre accidental death reports of a middle-aged immigrant man in the Greenhill area.)

What if it kills you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.