Hellmann's Mayo

Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hellmann's Mayo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
..... So if you like Hellman's (not the olive oil version) do you think it's the same as, say, Kraft or PC?

For me, even the cheap store brands from Walmart and Giant Tiger are good. Hellman's is (or at least was) just not the same. .....
I don't know if I ever tried Hellmanns, but FWIW Mrs P agrees with you - she won't buy Helmanns, but she prefers Kraft and Walmart own brand is acceptable.

She doesn't like Duke's either - IIRC she says it is sweet.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I never liked it. Horrible stuff.
The Canadian family never liked it either.

A week ago my MIL was making one of her chicken salad mixes and discovered we were out of mayo, so stepson was sent off to Shoppers to get some. I think they usually have Kraft or PC which are both fine.

But all they had was Hellman's. I noticed the jar did not say Real. It did say olive oil Mayo (and something about free run eggs). It went into the mix and I had a little taste. It seemed different. Not horrible.

Today, for lunch, I just had a few chips (made in the actifry of course ) and a dollop of Hellmann's mayo. It was very nice - just like other mayos.

I've googled and all I can find are complaints that the recipe has changed and it's runnier than it used to be with this being denied by the manufacturer. The stuff in this jar just seems no different to other mayos but it's certainly different to Hellmann's so called Real Mayo.

So now I can happily buy Hellmann's but not the awful real one.

Anyone have any thoughts or secret knowledge?
There's definitely a taste difference between the 'real' Hellmanns and the olive oil stuff, but the packaging is different. I'm not a fan of the olive oil one.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Have you tried marmite on sprouts?
What a waste of Marmite......... sprouts
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
My mum used to make marmite and grated carrot sandwiches for school... I thought she liked me but clearly not
MIL likes carrot sandwiches. I've not persuaded her to try marmite yet.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know if I ever tried Hellmanns, but FWIW Mrs P agrees with you...
A woman of taste obviously. I'll try to remember to avoid Duke's.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... A woman of taste obviously. .....
Obviously!
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I never liked it. Horrible stuff.
The Canadian family never liked it either.

A week ago my MIL was making one of her chicken salad mixes and discovered we were out of mayo, so stepson was sent off to Shoppers to get some. I think they usually have Kraft or PC which are both fine.

But all they had was Hellman's. I noticed the jar did not say Real. It did say olive oil Mayo (and something about free run eggs). It went into the mix and I had a little taste. It seemed different. Not horrible.

Today, for lunch, I just had a few chips (made in the actifry of course ) and a dollop of Hellmann's mayo. It was very nice - just like other mayos.

I've googled and all I can find are complaints that the recipe has changed and it's runnier than it used to be with this being denied by the manufacturer. The stuff in this jar just seems no different to other mayos but it's certainly different to Hellmann's so called Real Mayo.

So now I can happily buy Hellmann's but not the awful real one.

Anyone have any thoughts or secret knowledge?
In the UK, Hellmanns uses rapeseed oil for the real mayonnaise.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 12:49 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
In the UK, Hellmanns uses rapeseed oil for the real mayonnaise.
Canadian Hellmans
CANOLA OIL, WATER, LIQUID WHOLE EGG, VINEGAR, LIQUID YOLK, SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, CONCENTRATED LEMON JUICE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (MAINTAINS FLAVOUR)

British Hellmans
Rapeseed Oil (78%),
Pasteurised Free Range Egg & Egg Yolk (7.9%),
Spirit Vinegar,
Salt,
Lemon Juice Concentrate,
Antioxidant (Calcium Disodium EDTA),
Flavourings,
Paprika Extract.

there's sugar in bloody everything here
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

With olive oil:

Canola & Olive Oil, Water, Liquid Whole Egg, Vinegar, Liquid Yolk, Salt, Sugar, Spices, Concentrated Lemon Juice and Calcium Disodium Edta (Maintains Flavour).

I've been buying the olive oil one for years, love it (especially with fries!)

You can buy Heinz Salad Cream here (and Sandwich Spread).

I remember an aunt used to serve up lettuce and salad cream sarni's when I was young.. I used to love them. Tried one a few months ago and yeuk!

Old Sep 1st 2017, 11:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I've been buying the olive oil one for years, love it (especially with fries!)
Ah ha! So what's the verdict on the ordinary one then?
And did you buy ordinary Hellmann's in the UK?
Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by bats
Canadian Hellmans
CANOLA OIL, WATER, LIQUID WHOLE EGG, VINEGAR, LIQUID YOLK, SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, ...... there's sugar in bloody everything here
I don't know if you realise, but ingredients are listed in descending order of the amount used, so if there is less sugar than salt, then, much as I despise products with added sugar, I wouldn't worry too much in this case.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:37 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I am feeling hungry. I love mayonaise (any brand works), marmite, sandwiche spread, cheese and pickle sarnies, cheese, tomato and salad cream sarnies, with of course crisps (chips whatevs)

Drrrrrooooool
Old Sep 1st 2017, 3:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know if you realise, but ingredients are listed in descending order of the amount used, so if there is less sugar than salt, then, much as I despise products with added sugar, I wouldn't worry too much in this case.
I did know that but hadn't considered the implications of the sugar/ salt order. Of course now I have to google nutritional info for both types
Old Sep 1st 2017, 5:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I buy the Hellman's Real and prefer it to Kraft or house brand. In a pinch, however, any mayo is better than none.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 5:21 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am feeling hungry. I love mayonaise (any brand works), marmite, sandwiche spread...
An interesting combination. What filling goes with that?
Old Sep 5th 2017, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter, now 14, has been a complete mayonnaise addict for most of her life. She has it on most meals, and will happily eat a slice of bread spread with mayonnaise. She has never turned down any brand, apart from my accidental purchase of 'miracle whip' on one of our first shopping trips in Canada. If America has given anything to the world that is worse than Trump, it is miracle whip.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 2:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
If America has given anything to the world that is worse than Trump, it is miracle whip.
My MIL prefers that to Mayo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.