Healthy weights

Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healthy weights

I am a little plump around the waist, and while there are currently no concerning health issues because of said extra weight, I don't feel getting heavier and heavier creating good health in the future....

I just don't really don't know what a good healthy weight to aim form, I am 6'3 and I have checked various websites, and none seem to agree.

Us Government says a range of 145 to 190 is healthy for my height, but 145 seems awfully skinny.

Another had anywhere from 149 to 200 as a healthy range.

My goal is to get to 190 and then go from there.

But all this checking for weights gets you thinking, just what is the healthy weight to aim for....

Current is 230lb.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:53 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthy weights

Between 160 - 180 pounds tops seems like a good weight for your age & height. What about that?
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I'd worry about your weight as much on body fat versus muscle. You can be 250 lbs and be solid. I'd concentrate 60% on your diet and 40% with exercise. And before you say you can't afford it, you can do a complete fitness program without spending hardly anything. Cut down on carb intake and start with with one of those 'couch to 5k ' programs. Plus, exercise has positive benefits in other aspects of life.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am a little plump around the waist, and while there are currently no concerning health issues because of said extra weight, I don't feel getting heavier and heavier creating good health in the future....

I just don't really don't know what a good healthy weight to aim form, I am 6'3 and I have checked various websites, and none seem to agree.

Us Government says a range of 145 to 190 is healthy for my height, but 145 seems awfully skinny.

But all this checking for weights gets you thinking, just what is the healthy weight to aim for....

Current is 230lb.
145lb for a 6'3" guy is a joke! these websites are stupid, not even doctors agree with them! My ex girlfriend was 145Lb at 5'10" and she could be described as tall and slim!

At 6' 3" anything under 200lb is not worth taking seriously, i am 5'10" and 205Lb, doctor says thats fine for me.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 4:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Looking on a BMI table I would say 185-215 lbs ... that's 23-25 BMI which is ok considering your age. Maybe aim at 195-205 lbs as a range.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Looking on a BMI table I would say 185-215 lbs ... that's 23-25 BMI which is ok considering your age. Maybe aim at 195-205 lbs as a range.
That is probably a good range to start with. I was just so surprised by the huge variations I was finding, wasn't expecting that.

I am a little chunky in the belly, my legs, arms and everything else is still what you'd describe as slim, just need to cut out the belly fat.

And Oink we have some workout DVD's we got for 2 bucks at a garage sale we are doing on rainy crummy days, and on the nice days we go out and run and walk with the dog which is helping, we are doing about 30 mins a day right now, on our way to a goal of 1 hour each day, we tried to do 1 hour right out of the gate, but to not fail, going slowly seems to be the best route to build up the body.

I also ride my bike a couple days per week. I cut sugary drinks out and have lost a couple pounds from that before even adjusting diet which we have just started.

Wife has a harder time, her medications create an out of whack blood sugar situation, which is the main cause of her weight gain, before the medications she never had a struggle with weight and the medications are well known to cause weight gain in people who otherwise would not gain the weight based on their diet.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

That is probably a good range to start with. I was just so surprised by the huge variations I was finding, wasn't expecting that.

I am a little chunky in the belly, my legs, arms and everything else is still what you'd describe as slim, just need to cut out the belly fat.

And Oink we have some workout DVD's we got for 2 bucks at a garage sale we are doing on rainy crummy days, and on the nice days we go out and run and walk with the dog which is helping, we are doing about 30 mins a day right now, on our way to a goal of 1 hour each day, we tried to do 1 hour right out of the gate, but to not fail, going slowly seems to be the best route to build up the body.

I also ride my bike a couple days per week. I cut sugary drinks out and have lost a couple pounds from that before even adjusting diet which we have just started.

Wife has a harder time, her medications create an out of whack blood sugar situation, which is the main cause of her weight gain, before the medications she never had a struggle with weight and the medications are well known to cause weight gain in people who otherwise would not gain the weight based on their diet.
If you can bag a Fitbit or other digital tracker, they are a great motivator. I aim at 12000 steps day, usually a few thousand below that, but this week I had a 19000 day!
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

If you can bag a Fitbit or other digital tracker, they are a great motivator. I aim at 12000 steps day, usually a few thousand below that, but this week I had a 19000 day!
I am trying one out on the phone not sure how accurate it is, but seems to be working okay so far.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:39 pm
Yo

I am trying one out on the phone not sure how accurate it is, but seems to be working okay so far.
They are good too. It doesn't matter how accurate it is (although mostly they are reasonably accurate) just that they are consistent. Which app is it?
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Current is 230lb.
You are of very similar weight and proportions to me - I am a couple of inches taller and a proportionally heavier, and I need to get more exercise. The idea that I could get down below 200lb is ludicrous, though I left high school at 6'4" and 140lb and must have been almost skeletal. .... After I left it took me six weeks to put on 28lb! (I was working in warehouse mostly using an unpowered pallet trolley (jack)). I think my doctor told me that, per the BMI charts, the upper limit of my acceptable weight is 210lb, but that 230lb would be a realistic target, at least in the short term.

In your case I doubt that getting below 200lb is desirable or necessary. Also bear in mind that the BMI calculations foisted upon us apply linear maths to a relationship including weight, which is effectively a 3d/volume function, meaning that the relationship gets steadily less meaningful the further away from 5'8" (the average around which "ideal" BMI's were calculated). This is the same reason that elephants have legs like tree trunks while mice do just fine with legs thinner than matchsticks.

The BBC published an article on the subject within the past couple of years, pointing out that the BMI figure was unduly flattering to adults not much over 5ft, and unduly harsh on those much over 6ft.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 1st 2015 at 8:14 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

These numbers look sensible to me, and achievable. I have just been through the same thing. I took a look at last years holiday shots and didn't like the fat middle aged woman that was looking back at me. Can't do anything about the middle aged, but definitely decided to do something about the fat. I have dropped just over 35lbs, and 3 dress sizes. I had to put some effort in, but the main thing was finding a programme that worked for me and sticking to it, which means it can't be too onerous. Its been a year now since I started, I had lost the weight by April, it has been steady since then. I feel great, have a lot less problems with aching joints and generally sleep better - its worth doing it.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:03 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
These numbers look sensible to me, and achievable. I have just been through the same thing. I took a look at last years holiday shots and didn't like the fat middle aged woman that was looking back at me. Can't do anything about the middle aged, but definitely decided to do something about the fat. I have dropped just over 35lbs, and 3 dress sizes. I had to put some effort in, but the main thing was finding a programme that worked for me and sticking to it, which means it can't be too onerous. Its been a year now since I started, I had lost the weight by April, it has been steady since then. I feel great, have a lot less problems with aching joints and generally sleep better - its worth doing it.
Wow! That's impressive. Was is diet and exercise?
Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:11 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm not sure I'd worry about your weight as much on body fat versus muscle. You can be 250 lbs and be solid. I'd concentrate 60% on your diet and 40% with exercise. And before you say you can't afford it, you can do a complete fitness program without spending hardly anything. Cut down on carb intake and start with with one of those 'couch to 5k ' programs. Plus, exercise has positive benefits in other aspects of life.
Best piece of advice given so far IMOBMI not the be-all-and-end-allAbdominal girth/waist measurement is a fairly good pointer of cardiac/general health- big belly = bad news unless your either pregnant or a belly dancer Faddy diets fail- lifestyle changes including both diet and exercise win out- H.Gerchikov is a prime example of how it can be done!!
Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! That's impressive. Was is diet and exercise?
Yes - short bursts of high energy exercise. Started at just 4 mins, 5 days a week, I know I was skeptical too but figured it couldn't hurt. Apparently it increases your metabolic rate and it seems that it did because weight pretty much fell off. I have increased that to between 6 and 20 mins a day now, generally around 10.

Then diet was a reduction in some carbohydrates like pasta and bread, but still eating fruits, vegetables and beans. Lots of good fats too like avocado, olives and nuts. Then once a week you can have whatever you want. I found it doable because I didn't have to cook a separate meal for me, say I was cooking chilli for the family then I would have the meat but put mine over spinach instead of pasta or rice. I could work this switch with most meals. It has pretty much become a lifestyle change now, I stick to the principles but not rigorously now.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:24 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Abdominal girth/waist measurement is a fairly good pointer of cardiac/general health- big belly = bad news unless your either pregnant or a belly dancer
As one who substituted candy for cigarettes when I quit smoking and ballooned from 118 lbs (small frame) to 170 lbs, I have to agree.

Although family history has a lot to do with my issues too, but that no excuse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.