Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Have you had a holiday from hell??

Have you had a holiday from hell??

Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you had a holiday from hell??

My other post prompted this one. How about describing you own holiday from hell? This is mine!

A few years ago, when my son was living with my granddaughter's Mom, she suggested that we rent a cabin at Rowan's Ravine, which is a Saskatchewan provincial park. We all thought that would be a great idea. I pictured this little cabin nestled in the trees. I would take some books and sit in the shade and read and they could do whatever they wanted.

Yeah right.

For starters, her Mom worked for Budget Rent a Car at the time. She would get an SUV and we could haul our stuff in that. Well, it turned out the Farm Progress Show was on at that time and she said she would have to take a truck instead. So, we decided what each would bring. She said she had wieners and hamburgers. So I said I would bring buns and ketchup and relish etc. Anyway, I packed all the stuff I was taking in plastic crates with bungy cords, all ready to go in the back of the truck! About two hours before we were to leave, my granddaughter phoned to say her Mom could not get a vehicle at all and we would have to take my car. My car was a two door Olds Achieva and we had to get four people and the provisions for four days.

So, I unpack the crates. Get rid of any extras and stuff what is left into the trunk of the car. I go over to their place. The first thing her Mom brings out is this huge ghetto blaster! My son tells her she is crazy - there is no room for that thing. So off we go - things have not started well and they do not improve.

We get to the cabin. Far from being nestled in the trees, it is an A-frame building with a patio door facing south. There is not a tree in sight. The patio door has no curtain. It is about 95 degrees out. There are approximately 4 million flies inside the cabin. We swat what we can reach but there are still 3 million odd flying around up in the A-frame ceiling.

Then we decide to have supper. Turns out I have buns and relish - she says they have eaten the wieners and hamburgers and haven't replaced them - so we have nothing to go in the buns!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, she and my son went back to town the next day to get something and she never came back. My son, granddaughter and I stayed for three days in this fly-filled cabin that was about as hot as an oven, and then we went home.

But I do appreciate that there are plenty of people who would have had a wonderful time and go back every year. We are not that kind of people I guess!

The only nice thing that happened was when we sat out at night. You cannot imagine how many stars there are in the sky when you are away from the city lights.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you had a holiday from hell??

Hi Liz

Sorry to hear about your crappy holiday hopefully my tales of woe will make you feel better?

Saved up and decided to go to Australia. Flew to Hong Kong for a 2 day stopover before flying onto Sydney. Whilst making final approach into Sydney pilot comes on and tells us about events in New York City (Sept 11th 2001). Says he wants to prepare us for the media bombardment we were about to face in the terminal! Loads of Americans become hysterical on flight leading to a lot of very worried passengers. Without the full information at that time the concept of WW3 became very real. Anyway, got to Sydney on one piece only to find the whole city in a state of shock, as I'm sure everywhere else in the world was.

Woken up early next morning with a phone call from Mother in the UK telling us that the house had been burgled and that my wife's engagement ring (left behind for safe keeping) had been stolen along with £3000 of other items.

Spent the day in Sydney onto to start feeling ill by the end of the day. Woke up next morning unable to move and feeling like death. Asian flu diagnosed that afternoon! Next 6 days in bed.

Had an un-eventful few days around Ayres Rock and the interior. Flew to Cairns to take part in some adventure sports!?! White water rafting down grade 4 rapids on the Tully river when you have never done it before is not a good idea for anybody interested. Boats guide (typical surfer type dude, 21 years old the day before and with massive hangover) tells us everything will be ok!!

Boat turns over half way down 12 foot drop and rides up large rock at the bottom of the drop. Wife is sent 200 yds down river and sustains cuts and bruises, I end up sucked under the vortex at bottom of drop for 30 seconds and end up nearly drowning!

Apart from all that Australia is a great place and actually turned out to be one of our better holidays!

SAW 04

Originally Posted by lizwil98
My other post prompted this one. How about describing you own holiday from hell? This is mine!

A few years ago, when my son was living with my granddaughter's Mom, she suggested that we rent a cabin at Rowan's Ravine, which is a Saskatchewan provincial park. We all thought that would be a great idea. I pictured this little cabin nestled in the trees. I would take some books and sit in the shade and read and they could do whatever they wanted.

Yeah right.

For starters, her Mom worked for Budget Rent a Car at the time. She would get an SUV and we could haul our stuff in that. Well, it turned out the Farm Progress Show was on at that time and she said she would have to take a truck instead. So, we decided what each would bring. She said she had wieners and hamburgers. So I said I would bring buns and ketchup and relish etc. Anyway, I packed all the stuff I was taking in plastic crates with bungy cords, all ready to go in the back of the truck! About two hours before we were to leave, my granddaughter phoned to say her Mom could not get a vehicle at all and we would have to take my car. My car was a two door Olds Achieva and we had to get four people and the provisions for four days.

So, I unpack the crates. Get rid of any extras and stuff what is left into the trunk of the car. I go over to their place. The first thing her Mom brings out is this huge ghetto blaster! My son tells her she is crazy - there is no room for that thing. So off we go - things have not started well and they do not improve.

We get to the cabin. Far from being nestled in the trees, it is an A-frame building with a patio door facing south. There is not a tree in sight. The patio door has no curtain. It is about 95 degrees out. There are approximately 4 million flies inside the cabin. We swat what we can reach but there are still 3 million odd flying around up in the A-frame ceiling.

Then we decide to have supper. Turns out I have buns and relish - she says they have eaten the wieners and hamburgers and haven't replaced them - so we have nothing to go in the buns!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, she and my son went back to town the next day to get something and she never came back. My son, granddaughter and I stayed for three days in this fly-filled cabin that was about as hot as an oven, and then we went home.

But I do appreciate that there are plenty of people who would have had a wonderful time and go back every year. We are not that kind of people I guess!

The only nice thing that happened was when we sat out at night. You cannot imagine how many stars there are in the sky when you are away from the city lights.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a very unpleasant trip to Morocco a few years ago. The hotel that I stayed in turned into a brothel at night

I was also followed by a drunk Italian sex tourist and propositioned in a bar. I had to get someone to walk me to a taxi to get away from him. Double
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SAW 04
White water rafting down grade 4 rapids on the Tully river when you have never done it before is not a good idea for anybody interested.
Marginally off track, I did my first rafting trip on the Tully river, when I was in Oz back in '91 and got stuck in a vortex and then was trapped between the boat and a large rock as I was pushed out of the boat as my opposite number came flying across. Bruise my coccyx (backside to the uninitiated) on one of the under water rocks after being pushed out of the raft for a second time, very pain full. I think I went down 6 of the 12 rapids out of the boat, great fun. I also got the worst sun burn ever on my lilly white legs. I had a blast and wanted to do it again, I almost signed up for the 5 day trip but couldn't afford it, shame.

While in Uganda last year I did another rafting trip down the Nile, got thrown out of the raft on one rapid, was sucked under and spat out on another and got sunburnt again, it is such a blast.

I thought about training as a river guide and doing it for a living, but it was only a thought.

Dozzzzy

Applied Skilled Worker (London)
Application submitted - 05th July 2004
AOR Dated - 21st July 2004 (18 Months)
Delay Letter - Arrived Jan 2006 (Delayed till June 2006)
Medical Request - 26 May 2006 (NO Interview or Updated Docs Required)
Medical Submitted - 4 June 2006
Info Request - 17 July - Update Available Funds
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:43 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we have had a holiday from hell, but a couple of trips to France ended rather unexpectedly ..... on one we were involved in an accident and had our caravan wrecked. Nobody was hurt and it was our penultimate day anyway.

The last year before we came here we had a "Eurocamp" holiday on the Mediterranean coast near the France/Spain border. We were a few hundred meters from the beach and somewhat bemused to see what looked like flood evacuation signs all around the campsite ... ie 3 "waves" and a stickman running. The weather had been really hot and dry for the whole 2 weeks we were there.

Our last night there was a terrific storm,.... thunder, heavy rain, very noisy in a tent! We heard people moving about, and voices, and after a while I decided to look for a kleenex to blow my nose. I knew I'd left them right outside in the outer part of the tent, so I unzipped our sleeping compartment and put my hand out into the dark .... into about 5 inches of water! It came up not quite to the zip so hadn't invaded where we slept, but I could feel we we floating on it!

We decided NOT to evacuate while our beds and stuff were still dry, unless we were ordered to, so I told the boys to make sure everything was off the ground and we tried to wait it out til morning.

Next day we surveyed the damage .... we were still ankle-deep in water, and there were people with buckets and brooms everywhere. The company reps were tearing their hair out as they had to try to get everything dried out before the new guests arrived that day! A lot of families, especially those with smaller tents, had spent the night in the cafe/clubhouse.

We simply loaded all our gear into the car, as we were due to leave that morning anyway, and left them to it. A miserable end to an otherwise uneventful holiday!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:24 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

I went on holiday with my then girlfriend and we went to Ibiza. We missed the plane on the way over (The flight was 12:05am on the 21st, we turn up on the 21st at 10pm and wondered why the flight didnt show on the monitor!!!). Got a flight to Spain then spent all our spending money on a flight from Spain to Ibiza, after spending a miserable night in the airport chairs.
She then dumped me on the first night we were there.....the cow!!

Last edited by Bleech; Jul 31st 2006 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:31 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I've not had a holiday from hell but I had a flight from hell, like this --> eeeegads!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I've not had a holiday from hell but I had a flight from hell, like this --> eeeegads!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:34 pm

I wouldn't call it the holiday from hell more like the night from hell.

My first exposure to camping was a disaster.

My wife talked me into trying a tenting weekend at Buffalo Lake east of Lacombe, AB.

We borrowed her mom and dads tent packed all the gear and Friday after work off we went. We arrived at the camp ground to find it very quiet not very many campers at all. It was very easy to find a nice secluded spot. We got all set up and got our meal on the go, things looking pretty nice.

THEN the thunderstorm rolled in lots of thunder and lightning, quite impressive actually. We thought no problem we just get in the tent and in half an hour or so this will pass. Well it didn't pass it seemed to settle in right over the lake. So around 10:00pm not much else to do but listen to the rain pounding down on the tent canvas we decided that we might just as well hit the sack.

Woke around 4:00am when I grabbed my pillow to move it and it was squishy, I thought pillow not supposed to be squishy. Got the flashlight out to find about 3" water in the tent and to finish me off a little frog in there with us plus it was still bloody raining.

By 4:30am we had the tent and gear packed in the back of the car and we were on our way back to Edmonton.

It was some time before I was willing to try camping again.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hangman
I wouldn't call it the holiday from hell more like the night from hell.

My first exposure to camping was a disaster.

My wife talked me into trying a tenting weekend at Buffalo Lake east of Lacombe, AB.

We borrowed her mom and dads tent packed all the gear and Friday after work off we went. We arrived at the camp ground to find it very quiet not very many campers at all. It was very easy to find a nice secluded spot. We got all set up and got our meal on the go, things looking pretty nice.

THEN the thunderstorm rolled in lots of thunder and lightning, quite impressive actually. We thought no problem we just get in the tent and in half an hour or so this will pass. Well it didn't pass it seemed to settle in right over the lake. So around 10:00pm not much else to do but listen to the rain pounding down on the tent canvas we decided that we might just as well hit the sack.

Woke around 4:00am when I grabbed my pillow to move it and it was squishy, I thought pillow not supposed to be squishy. Got the flashlight out to find about 3" water in the tent and to finish me off a little frog in there with us plus it was still bloody raining.

By 4:30am we had the tent and gear packed in the back of the car and we were on our way back to Edmonton.

It was some time before I was willing to try camping again.
What happened to the little frog?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
He was carefully placed outside the tent and went his merry way.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:36 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by willmore
A tangent - I took my roomie's kids camping for a week earlier this month. Came back home, hung the tent to air out, and when I put it up to clean it inside the day after, I found the source for the fishy smell in my bedroom... A tiny, dead frog in the corner of the tent.
Probably not necessary to say that after camping last weekend, I checked the tent very carefully before I stuffed it into it's bag.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:12 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

My holiday from hell, was one that never happened.

Was due to go on a skiing trip with school, they had done it every year since god knows when but only the oldest year was allowed to go, so your whole school life you waited for your chance to go. Trip was booked 50 or so kids going it was just after my Birthday so everyone bought me ski gear (goggles, socks etc) A week before we go we all get called in (including my dad who was a volunteer) to be told the travel company had gone into liquidation, they had taken our money but never paid the hotel, lift fees etc so we could not go and would not get a refund
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

No, I havent' had a holiday from hell...yet

BUT

It feels like I am in hell today.........................gosh but it is HOT today