Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been to Bognor Regis?

Have you ever been to Bognor Regis?

Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: Have you ever been to Bognor Regis?

I lived in Bournemouth and Southampton. I have been to Bognor but we used to go down the Dorset coast in preference. It just seemed nicer.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Hope Seaton will be OK, moving there in 6 weeks time.
Can't recall a thing about Seaton but Sidmouth is very nice. Very old fashioned...at least when I was last there. Vaguely recall a by-law about eating chips or ice cream on the front.

There was a department store with a tea room upstairs, old fashioned pinnies as if you were back in 1940 Nice Devon Cream Tea

Nice pubs, good food.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Nostalgia eh
As a family we chose the Butlins in Minehead Somerset.

You haven't lived until you have arrived in Blackpool.
Donkey ride on the beach. Dipping your toes in the pristine waters of the Irish sea. Bought a stick of Blackpool rock and a Kiss Me Quick hat. Walked along Blackpool prom and caught a tram to get you to the Pleasure Beach and spent a few quid trying to win a gigantic stuffed animal.
Sat down at a fish and chip shop for lunch or walked around eating the same out of newspaper wrapping or polystyrene tray.
Visited the Tower. If at the right time of year took in the Illuminations.

Ah Blackpool what a tourist mecca which puts it on par with the Grand Canyon or Taj Mahal or the Great Wall Of China.

Blackpool, although by no means on the worldstage beach and resort wise, i had many happy childhood memories there. As a kid in the 70s i was lucky enough to travel abroad most years, Spain Italy Greece etc but we would still visit Blackpool and Devon and Cornwall for a week too. There is something basic and salt of the earth working class about Blackpool and I look back on it fondly, as a kid i always had a thing about the old trams!

Of course its all changed now, its not really a family friendly place anymore, the last few times i went there as an adult was for stag doos.... it became one of the capitals of the UK for stag and hen parties, with lots of non familiy type activities and just a general battlezone! But then i guess thats the changing face of society and could count for any big town or city in the UK now on a Friday and Saturday night.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jan 17th 2017 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Blackpool, although by no means on the worldstage beach and resort wise, i had many happy childhood memories there. As a kid in the 70s i was lucky enough to travel abroad most years, Spain Italy Greece etc but we would still visit Blackpool and Devon and Cornwall for a week too. There is something basic and salt of the earth working class about Blackpool and I look back on it fondly, as a kid i always had a thing about the old trams!

Of course its all changed now, its not really a family friendly place anymore, the last few times i went there as an adult was for stag doos.... it became one of the capitals of the UK for stag and hen parties, with lots of non familiy type activities and just a general battlezone! But then i guess thats the changing face of society and could count for any big town or city in the UK now on a Friday and Saturday night.
So in other words its become chavtastic. I was last there in October 1995 and I thought it was a grim place. I had been in the 70's/80's when I lived in the UK so I saw it through rose tinted glasses in many ways. I have/had relatives/family friends in Lytham and Southport so trips to Blackpool co-incided with that. Unfortunately, the Lytham crowd was always trying to get me to be interested in golf which even back then I knew wasn't my thing.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My memory of Bognor was going in to KFC. The floor was so sticky I walked out of my flip flops! Lol

The Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall brings waves of Nostalgia on... beautiful part of the country.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:44 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Not a massive fan of Bognor Regis but then I dont care for stoney beaches or the atypical brown grey water of the English channel.
I did once go to Tenby and that was nice and I rather liked Swanage.
I am not a British seaside fan, I appreciate that I seem to be in the minority when it comes to that though
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:54 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have been to Bognor Regis in the dim and distant past. Went to whatever the holiday park type thing is / was there (cannot remember the name, no, it's not Maplins )

From what I recall, it was a good holiday, my nan and granddad were there too, so a family event. I vividly recall my dad licking and sticking one of those sucker "bullet" things from a toy gun to my brother's head, and when it was removed, it left a nice red mark

I don't recall it raining too much, but we're talking around 30 years ago, so it could have pissed it down for most of the week
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:12 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Yes I have been to Bognor Regis in the dim and distant past. Went to whatever the holiday park type thing is / was there (cannot remember the name, no, it's not Maplins )
Butlins?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Worthing in my mid to late teens (and again, briefly, in my 20's) and for a very short period of time in Littlehampton and Southampton, so have visited Bognor Regis a fair few times, lol. If I recall correctly, there was a sand beach on one side of Littlehampton. Worthing beach used to have an influx of seaweed from time to time, leaving the beach a stinking sodden mess with an invasion of flies.

As a young child, I spent all my summers at Camber Sands on one of the houses on the beach - our extended families would come and stay for a few days or a couple of weeks and when all the greckles had gone home, we would go looking for coins on the walk up to the carpark. Very happy memories of those days! One of our neighbours one summer was Malcolm Allison and I have photos somewhere of me playing in the sand with his son David and the two families playing cricket on the sand.

After our Mum died, we started holidaying in Devon and Cornwall staying at farms and one memoriable caravan holiday to Dawlish where I was violently sick after eating a cornish pasty. I can still recall riding a cow along the lane to the milking shed and my Dad driving at 60 miles an hour with the car leaning around the corners in order to get back to the farm in time for dinner (if you were late, you didn't get any). I had one holiday to family friends in Devon (in the middle of nowhere) when I was 13 and then the Norfolk Broads with my two sisters and their partners when I was 14.

After moving to Bristol in my later teens/early 20's, I would go to Woolacombe and Weston Super Mare for day trips. After that, it was South Africa, then the Far East.. and the Pacific Islands.. and eventually Europe.

"I was born under a wandering star....."

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 17th 2017 at 7:31 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
...One of our neighbours one summer was Malcolm Allison...
He managed Bristol Rovers for a short time when they were based at Bath

After our Mum died, we started holidaying in Devon and Cornwall staying at farms
We stayed on a farm in Devon somewhere..just a stop off on the way I think. The young lad in their family rode a motor bike across the fields. Was it that one?

Maximillian's (Maxi's) at wsm was a great pub in a back street somewhere in town.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve been also been, I even went to Butlins, albeit for a judo competition. Bognor is a proper seaside town one those that only can exist in the UK. English seaside towns have character and a depth of culture. They’re not like the soulless and dirty sand beaches around here. Going to the seaside in England is an event, it’s full of life; donkey rides, Punch and Judy shows, shellfish kiosks, fish and chip shops, amusement arcades, pubs and bed and breakfasts. Here, they’re characterless, with the pot-smoking comatosed sitting around on logs staring at the illegal boat squatters compete with the countless anchored container ships and sewage overflow pipes to poison the water and being surrounded by infantilized 20 something blokes skateboard around with volleyballs in their so-called ironic SpongeBob backpacks and their vapid counterparts wander up and down the concrete boardwalk trying to attract their attention while doing their best 1983 Valley Girl cackle and wearing novelty cat ears. Dreadful. Give me a British seaside experience any day of the week.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 17th 2017 at 7:42 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:00 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

"Bugger Bognor"
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
"Bugger Bognor"
Opposed to "buggered in "Bognor"....🤔😎
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:01 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Butlins?
That's the one! I just could not remember the name of the place.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:04 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I lived in Worthing in my mid to late teens (and again, briefly, in my 20's) and for a very short period of time in Littlehampton and Southampton, so have visited Bognor Regis a fair few times, lol. If I recall correctly, there was a sand beach on one side of Littlehampton. Worthing beach used to have an influx of seaweed from time to time, leaving the beach a stinking sodden mess with an invasion of flies.

As a young child, I spent all my summers at Camber Sands on one of the houses on the beach - our extended families would come and stay for a few days or a couple of weeks and when all the greckles had gone home, we would go looking for coins on the walk up to the carpark. Very happy memories of those days! One of our neighbours one summer was Malcolm Allison and I have photos somewhere of me playing in the sand with his son David and the two families playing cricket on the sand.

After our Mum died, we started holidaying in Devon and Cornwall staying at farms and one memoriable caravan holiday to Dawlish where I was violently sick after eating a cornish pasty. I can still recall riding a cow along the lane to the milking shed and my Dad driving at 60 miles an hour with the car leaning around the corners in order to get back to the farm in time for dinner (if you were late, you didn't get any). I had one holiday to family friends in Devon (in the middle of nowhere) when I was 13 and then the Norfolk Broads with my two sisters and their partners when I was 14.

After moving to Bristol in my later teens/early 20's, I would go to Woolacombe and Weston Super Mare for day trips. After that, it was South Africa, then the Far East.. and the Pacific Islands.. and eventually Europe.

"I was born under a wandering star....."

Ah Camber Sands Spent quite some time there during the summers as a child and adult. Used to head towards the stony part of the beach, to avoid the craziness of the dunes.

My brother now lives in Rye, and so is down the beach a fair bit, also means when we go back to the UK for the visit we have to pop down and have a play on the beach, just like being kids again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.